1/350 HMCS Regina (Halifax Class Frigate) 2021

JohnWS

Another tiny update.

HMCS Regina carries two small two person rescue RIB's amidships, one on each side of the ship.  The resin model kit included the two RIB's but did not include the cradles to stow the RIB's on board.

I scratch built the cradles using square plastic rod & pieces cut from plastic sheet.

51709499713_63424f46df_c.jpg

To finish off the cradles, I added a tie scrap to each made from wine bottle foil. 🍷

The next photo shows the RIB's & cradles assembled & dry fitted on the model's deck.

51709501098_bd7bf29fba_c.jpg

Next up, I'll be scratch building two Folding Knuckle Cranes used to launch & recover the rescue RIB's. 

Thanks for checking in.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 12

5 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Consistent exemplary standard :coolio:

Rob

Thanks Rob!

For some reason these small scale bits fought my full scale fingers at every turn, not to mention having unintentionally fed the carpet monster.  Glad they're done now & put away in a safe place 'til final assembly.

John

• Like 1

Amazing stuff John just trying to catch up with things around here your magnifier must be the same strength as the Hubble telescope.  :hypnotised:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Continuing on with the tiny theme ...

I've completed scratch building the two knuckle cranes used for launching & recovering the small rescue RIBs.  The cranes were assembled from pieces cut from Evergreen plastic sheet & rod.

Here's a photo of the finished cranes, with photo inserts showing the actual crane for comparison.

51731741119_81efd60f9e_c.jpg

While I was searching for photos of the cranes, I came across a photo of the actual rescue RIB cradle used on Regina, as shown below.

51731088796_41d44087c0_c.jpg

My first attempt to build the cradles (described in my earlier post) looked a bit bulky compared to the actual cradle shown in the photo.  So, I decided to take on the challenge of replicating the actual cradles.  I needed to find some building material that was small enough to build the cradles in 1/350 scale.  After digging through my parts bin, I came up with a solution ... photo etched 1/350 hand rails.  I was able to cut, bend & glue four sections of the handrails to look similar to the actual cradles.

Here's a photo comparing my first attempt at building the cradles to the second attempt using the PE rails.

51731982005_54da11ab21_c.jpg

I think the new cradles look much better. :yahoo:

... and a photo showing the new crane & cradle dry fitted on the model's deck.

51731345558_592d68700d_c.jpg

Changing the subject, while researching the knuckle crane & zodiac cradles, I came across the following photo of USS Port Royal, a USN Ticonderoga class of guided-missile cruiser.  The photo was taken of her in dry dock in 2009 during repair, after hitting a reef in Hawaiian waters.   Notice anything different?  Yep, she has a blue bottom:surprised: similar to Regina's.  Looks like the USN was experimenting with the blue anti-fouling paint, as well.

51730283397_2c77c25ba2_c.jpg

Next up for Regina's build, scratch building two Multi Ammunition Soft-kill System (MASS) defensive weapons.

Thanks for checking in.

Stay Safe!

John 

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

The maestro continues to amaze....

Not so sure about that Kev I cannot see the hydraulic cables can you.  :whistle:

Just joking John as always some exceptional skills on show again.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just found this build, can't believe I've missed it. Read it from start to now.

Absolutely incredible work! Love the masts and the RHIB, that really is amazing! Ach, I'd better stop there or I'll just start gushing and embarrass meself.

Following.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the supportive comments.

1 hour ago, Dancona said:

Ouch, my bl**dy chin again, please John try “average” for a bit, at least until my face heals !!

Sorry again, David.  Sounds like a helmet with a face mask might be in order.  :giggle:

John

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JohnWS said:

Here's wishing everyone on Britmodeller a Happy Christmas, & a safe & healthy New Year.

Same to you John Best Wishes for 2022 it has to get better sometime right.  :shrug:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m really not too sure what I’m doing for the next part of this build (a boarding ladder?).:unsure:  The Halifax class frigates, including HMCS Regina, have what looks like a permanent boarding ladder located on the port side, amidships.  Unfortunately, this is not included on the circa 2016 resin model.  Although the ‘ladder’ is shown in its stowed position in a number of photographs, I couldn’t find any detailed information about it.  The following photograph shows the location of the ladder.

51823493009_4da293415f_c.jpg

The next marked up photograph shows a close up of what I think is the boarding ladder & what I’m assuming are the various components associated with the ladder.

51823873530_abc969fc44_c.jpg

The ladder appears to be hinged at one end to allow it to be stowed on its side on the deck or to swing out when deployed over the side of the ship.  There’s also a hoist that looks like it may used to move the ladder.  The stowed ladder looks like it has steps & a handrail that collapse for ease of stowage.  There’s a ‘Y’ shaped bracket that appears to be used to support the deployed ladder.

So, after three weeks of head scratching, studying what little information I have, plus a lot of trial & error :banghead:, I’ve finally scratch built the ladder to show it in the stowed position.  Here’s a photo of the completed ladder before a coat of primer.

51823874595_b8fb40ded7_c.jpg

The ladder & its components are made from various sizes of Evergreen plastic square & round rod.  I’ve used sections of PE stairs from the parts bin to simulate the ‘collapsed’ ladder steps.  The two tiny pulleys on the top end of the hoist were made by coiling small gauge copper wire.

Here’s one last photo showing all the parts primed & dry fitted in place.  I’m still unsure of what I’ve built :confused:, but at least I think it looks the part.

51822206827_6bdcd05ea4_c.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 12