1/350 HMCS Regina (Halifax Class Frigate) 2021

JohnWS

Well, old age sometimes has its perks.

My wife & I were at an out-of-town family winter get together this past weekend.   While we were a away, our town was hit with a major winter storm (high winds & a 12" heavy snowfall).  We came home yesterday thinking we'd have a lot of snow shovelling & blowing to do  just to get into our driveway.  Much to our surprise, two of our neighbours had dug out our driveway & sidewalk (not an easy task) & it was clear sailing for us when we got home.   What a relief!  We're the oldest residents on our street, & apparently our neighbours took pity on us so we wouldn't have to do much snow removal  on our return.  Very good neighbours indeed.  

John

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Courageous said:

And how much snow do you get then Jeff living in Perth :hmmm:?

Gidday, not a lot. In fact none that I can remember, but then I'm only 66. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Moving along, a short update & a question for you.

In addition to the deck fittings and decals, I've finished adding the anchor chains, 57 mm gun turret, and the anchor to Regina's forward deck & bow, as shown in the following photos;

52773529654_ef97127cb6.jpg

52773273061_7164065182_c.jpg

My wife graciously donated an old gold chain necklace for the anchor chain. :wub:  This finishes off the foredeck with the exception of the deck railings & some rigging.  I plan to add these at the end on the build.

Next, I'll be adding equipment & weapons to the bridge superstructure decks & roof.  But, in the mean time I have a question.  I've been unable to identify the functions of two pieces of tubular looking equipment located on the decks aft of the bridge wings.  One is mounted on each side of the ship.  These are shown in the following photos.

52773798383_f8761c1101_c.jpg

Can anyone help me in defining what these things are and/or what they're designed to do?  I'm assuming they're not torpedo tubes, laundry chutes, or 16th century cannons. :giggle:   Unfortunately, Mr. Google hasn't been much help.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for looking in.  Your 'likes' & comments are always appreciated, as well.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 7

Gidday @JohnWS, I've probably said it before but that's a very striking colour scheme. In that first photo I couldn't believe how narrow the 57mm gun mount was. 🙂 And yes, gold chain for the anchor cable is very generous. Are you going to pawn it for some cheaper stuff? Once it's painted who'll know? 😁

I'm afraid I've got no idea what the bonsai torpedo tube is, this era of warship is not my forte. But the position of it, pointing outboard suggests to me that it launches something.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday @JohnWS, I've probably said it before but that's a very striking colour scheme. In that first photo I couldn't believe how narrow the 57mm gun mount was. 🙂 And yes, gold chain for the anchor cable is very generous. Are you going to pawn it for some cheaper stuff? Once it's painted who'll know? 😁

I'm afraid I've got no idea what the bonsai torpedo tube is, this era of warship is not my forte. But the position of it, pointing outboard suggests to me that it launches something.

Regards, Jeff.

3 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

... that's a very striking colour scheme. ...

Thanks Jeff.   It certainly stands out amongst my other Navy grey models. B)

3 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

... gold chain for the anchor cable is very generous. Are you going to pawn it for some cheaper stuff? Once it's painted who'll know? 😁 ...

I'm afraid the gold in that necklace wouldn't cover the cost of the gasoline needed to make the trip to the local pawnshop.  lol 

5 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

... pointing outboard suggests to me that it launches something. ...

All sorts of possibilities - garbage, empty beer bottles, dirty laundry, officer cadets (not that someone would do that)  :giggle:

John

John

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

... In that first photo I couldn't believe how narrow the 57mm gun mount was. ...

Yes it isn't very big.  Approx. 10' across at its widest point at the back.  Being remote controlled, I guess it only needs to be big enough to squeeze in the gun, ammo & a maintenance person. 🙂

52773855574_70e4ac20a7_z.jpg

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnWS said:

...I've been unable to identify the functions of two pieces of tubular looking equipment located on the decks aft of the bridge wings.  One is mounted on each side of the ship.  These are shown in the following photos.

Can anyone help me in defining what these things are and/or what they're designed to do?

Greetings, John.

The size, shape and location are interesting for this one. The two former aspects are strikingly similar to the UNIPAC search and rescue kit stored in the Boeing P-8A Poseidon bomb bay.

It's located high on a raised portion of the hull. This would afford a jettisoned object greater distance. Torpedoes are generally launched closer to the waterline and further aft.

I'm speculating that is a rescue kit that can be launched for person overboard situations, based on the above ideas. The vertical plate inboard from the tube appears to be a blast shield, but it's also close to a machine gun position.

Curious to find out if you ever get a definitive answer.

Ron 

Edited by Aurange
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Can anyone help me in defining what these things are and/or what they're designed to do?  I'm assuming they're not torpedo tubes, laundry chutes, or 16th century cannons. :giggle:   Unfortunately, Mr. Google hasn't been much help.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi John, 

Those tubes look very similar to the radar decoy tubes fitted to RN Type 45 and US Arleigh Burke class ships.

See Wiki link here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Decoy_IDS300

Hope this helps.

Ant

• Like 7

Mystery solved!  Thanks to everyone who replied.

9 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

... Those tubes look very similar to the radar decoy tubes fitted to RN Type 45 and US Arleigh Burke class ships.

See Wiki link here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Decoy_IDS300

Thank you Ant for your feedback.  On close examination of the hazard nameplate, top access port, & mounting framework (as shown in the following photos), the mystery object on the RCN frigates is the Naval Inflatable Decoy System IDS300 that Ant identified 👍 & that is also carried on some USN & RN warships.

52774174262_87d968b8f5_c.jpg

John

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up to the discussion in the previous posts, it's time to build a couple of Inflatable Decoy dispensers for Regina.

I used the following photo taken on one of the RCN frigates as a guide.

52800825759_ca01755243.jpg

Using this photo & others found on the 'net, I scaled down the photos to approximate the 1/350 dimensions for the dispenser & accompanying blast shield.  I ended up using .062" (1/16") diameter Evergreen plastic rod for the dispenser body, .020" diameter plastic rod for (what looks like) a compressed air cylinder mounted on the side of the dispenser tube, and pieces cut from plastic sheet for the dispenser stands & blast shield.   The dispenser's nose cone is an integral part of the decoy, becoming an anchor for the decoy once it is deployed in the water.  To replicate the conical shape of the nose cone, I used an old friend - wine bottle foil.  The final assembly is shown in the following photo.

52800018327_c733a32df4_c.jpg

Next, I need to scratch build two large horns that will be mounted at the base of the main mast, and build flag halyard rigging hardware, e.g. cleats. etc., for the main mast.

Thanks again for looking & following along.

Stay safe!

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

John - We me made it across and had a Fab time - Sackville, The Museum of the Atlantic and lots of Brew pubs.  The Tour around Sackville was just tremendous, full access to everywhere, I'll cover this in detail elsewhere.

We came up on the dockyard and this was one of the first sights to see - I immediately thought of you ;)B)

IMG_1005

HMCS Moncton.  And who says modern ships aren't weathered and rusty :lol:

I was very struck by just how grey/green the grey base colour is.  I think you've captured it Exactly.

Got to see a Cyclone close up and once again it's a reminder of what a Fab job you've done on yours.

Rob

• Like 5

4 hours ago, robgizlu said:

... We came up on the dockyard and this was one of the first sights to see - I immediately thought of you ;)B) ...

Is that 'cause I'm old & rusty?  :rofl:

Rob, I'm really glad you had a good visit & especially being able to tour Sackville. :speak_cool:  Downtown Halifax has a great mix of old & new.   We've been known to visit a few pubs there, as well.  lol :drink:

4 hours ago, robgizlu said:

IMG_1005

That's a good photo of HMCS Moncton.  Most photos don't capture the green hew of the Canadian grey colour as well as you have.   

My wife & I are still planning on visiting the west coast RCN dockyard at Esquimalt in a couple of weeks.  Looks like there will be at least one RCN frigate docked there to visit.

Thanks for posting.

John 

• Like 3