1/350 HMCS Regina (Halifax Class Frigate) 2021

JohnWS

Dear John

Every time you post something my jaw hits the deck, it has happened so often now I have a dent in the floor !

I try to be cool about it, "Oh he has made a RHIB" .........then I see the measuring stick, notice the precision of the thing....aaaaannnnndddd,  Bang !!   I'm wearing a sticking plaster on my chin for the next few days, and the dent in the floor just got bigger !

Amazing

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Gidday, David you could always try taping a lounge cushion under your chin, it worked for me. Until I tripped over the cat and landed on my nose!

And John, yeah that RHIB's not bad I suppose.                    Actually, it's terrific, a mini work of art. 👍 Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dancona said:

Dear John

Every time you post something my jaw hits the deck, it has happened so often now I have a dent in the floor !

I try to be cool about it, "Oh he has made a RHIB" .........then I see the measuring stick, notice the precision of the thing....aaaaannnnndddd,  Bang !!   I'm wearing a sticking plaster on my chin for the next few days, and the dent in the floor just got bigger !

Amazing

Thanks David.  Hope your chin heals quickly.

BTW If you find any (long lost) itty bitty pieces of white plastic when you're down on the floor, they're probably mine. :lol:

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's a snowy Sunday afternoon here in the Great White North.  So what better time than this to discuss painting HMCS Regina's hull? :cold:

I decided to start with adding the anti-fouling painted area plus the waterline.  I haven't painted a waterline separating the anti-fouling paint & the hull sides on a model in over 50 years :clif:.   First, I needed to find the dimensions for locating the waterline on the model.  Luckily, I found a sketch on the 'net showing the dimensions for the Halifax class frigates, shown below.

51680717985_c549e8eb4d_w.jpg

Next, I needed to find the anti-fouling paint colour used on the frigates.  Prior to the modernization refit, the bottom of the RCN frigate hulls were painted in the typical hull anti-fouling 'red' colour.  It appears that currently a new 'blue' colour anti-fouling paint is being used.:surprised:  Without the actual paint spec, I needed to find some reference photos.  The more photos of the frigates' bottoms I looked at :blush:, the more different shades of grey blue I found.  I guessed all the blue colours used were pretty well the same, and the variations in colour shades were a result of the photos & prints not replicating the actual colour.

51679831391_85fdc3f19a_c.jpg

So, I flipped a coin & picked the most common colour shade for my build.  Here's a sample of the photos I used.

51679833386_aae341aac7_c.jpg

Once I picked the colour, I needed to find the paint.  After looking at a number of paint colours & brands, I ended up using Tamiya acrylic spray TS 44 gloss brilliant blue & Modelmaster acrylic flat black for the waterline..

I'm pretty happy with the final result.  Here's a photo showing what the model looks like today.

51679836856_79ce81fdef_c.jpg

My wife says she likes the colour ... "much better than those flat grey warships".  :lol:

Thanks again for following along.  Next up, I have a few small items to scratch build & then I'll be ready to continue painting.

Stay safe!

John

EDIT:  August3, 2022  - Anti-fouling paint colour & waterline revised https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235087066-1350-hmcs-regina-halifax-class-frigate-2021/&do=findComment&comment=4464227

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 12

Wot they all said John!

Living near several local boat yards, i have to say i have noticed newer coated small boats going to blue bottoms, although not exclusively. I'm thinking it might be to do with newer longer lasting anti fouling properties perhaps?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

A tidy job on your bottom John :blush:

Oooooh, let's not go there! 😲  😁

14 hours ago, JohnWS said:

My wife says she likes the colour ... "much better than those flat grey warships".  :lol:

I think she has a point. In a display of grey warships I think a bit of bright colour can break the monotony a little.

And it does look good. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks everyone for the 'likes' & comments.

5 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

That is a very nice blue you've got there...

Thanks, I like it, too. :yes:

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

A tidy job on your bottom John :blush:

Stay warm

Kev

Now, Kev! :nono:   But, I do appreciate that you've taken an interest in my bottom.  Thank you! :D 

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Now if you hadn't shown the original photos John, people would have imagined you'd gone a litle snow blind ;)

Neat paint job

Rob

Thanks, Rob.  It's still a little too early the season for snow blindness, but as it gets colder I've heard that a few bottoms have turned blue. :cold::rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Nice and different. I'd love to why the change from red to blue and why blue :shrug:.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart.  I didn't find an answer to "why blue?" when researching the colour.  A lot of things come to mind, though ... blue was on sale at the paint store; the hull blends in with the sky when looking up from a submarine; it's a pretty colour; etc, etc. :D   My guess is that this type of paint was chosen for improved anti-fouling properties & being more environmentally friendly than previous paints.  Wikipedia has an article on the environmental concerns associated with anti-fouling paint -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-fouling_paint.

21 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Wot they all said John!

Living near several local boat yards, i have to say i have noticed newer coated small boats going to blue bottoms, although not exclusively. I'm thinking it might be to do with newer longer lasting anti fouling properties perhaps?

Thanks Terry.  You probably right about the improved properties.

27 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Oooooh, let's not go there! 😲  😁

I think she has a point. In a display of grey warships I think a bit of bright colour can break the monotony a little.

And it does look good. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff.  It does brighten up the model shelf.

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, JohnWS said:

It appears that currently a new 'blue' colour anti-fouling paint is being used.:surprised:  Without the actual paint spec, I needed to find some reference photos.  

Remember reading something about RN type 42 HMS Exeter also having some trials with a blue antifoul paint was probably more expensive at the time so not fully adopted. :book:

looking great there John.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Remember reading something about RN type 42 HMS Exeter also having some trials with a blue antifoul paint was probably more expensive at the time so not fully adopted. :book:

Thanks for the info beefy.  Wikipedia has a brief description about Exeter's unique anti-fouling paint  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Exeter_(D89).

John

Exeter definitely had her unique blue anti-fouling during the Falklands; she spent several days close to us (Fearless) in San Carlos and you could see it very clearly.

Ark Royal (5 - mid-80s) also had non-standard anti-fouling at the start of her life; she emerged from build with mid-grey (darker then standard RN weatherworks grey, but not actually very dark) anti-fouling, but it turned to mote conventional colours during her first docking at some point during my time on board (86-89), and as far as I know stayed that way.  No idea whether that was another experiment with whichever paint was available commercially, though Exeter’s certainly was

• Like 2

Moving along (slowly), the Multi-Role Boat's new launch & recovery system (LRS) is finished.

I ended up making over 40 tiny pieces from plastic strip & rod to complete the LRS assembly.  Here's  photo showing the actual LRS aboard Regina & a couple of photos of the scratch built LRS for the model.

51689436993_eeb353f020_c.jpg

Another photo of the completed LRS dry fitted on the model's deck.

51689845714_2da07d6362_c.jpg

And, finally a photo showing the Multi-Role Boat (MRB) dry fitted on the LRS.

51690063745_ae52171702_c.jpg

Next up, continue to build the outstanding small details for the ship.

Thanks for watching.

Stay safe!

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 13

Thanks again everyone for the 'likes' & supportive comments. 

7 hours ago, Dancona said:

Ouch, just when my jaw was feeling better................damn you John :worthy:

Sorry about that David.  I'm trying to slow down the pace to give you time to heal.  lol

John

• Haha 3