1/350 HMCS Regina (Halifax Class Frigate) 2021

JohnWS

On 11/09/2021 at 20:25, JohnWS said:

Well, in my (anal) quest for accuracy, I tried! :wall: I glued six tiny pieces of stretched plastic sprue around a seventh piece in the centre to make the barrels.  Lots of fun ... not! :fraidnot:

I was joking about the separate barrels!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another quick update.

I've laid out the helicopter hangar roof to determine where the various antenna & equipment are located. I used photographs & a little guesswork since i couldn't find a detailed drawing for the refitted frigate.  The holes were drilled out as shown in the following photograph.

51507764169_36a38335f5_c.jpg

Here's a couple of photos showing the primed scratch built antenna & equipment dry fitted;

51507055186_35e43afd3d_c.jpg

51507056901_444d71c932_c.jpg

And, one last photo showing the addition of the pole mast, 2 satellite antenna, & fire control director dry fitted.  Once the hangar roof has its finish coat of paint, I'll be adding railings & ladders to complete roof area.

51507987235_1c3339643c_c.jpg

Next up, I'm focusing on scratch building the antenna located on the bridge roof.

Thanks for looking.

Stay safe!

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 12

On 9/29/2021 at 11:04 PM, JohnWS said:

Nice to see you back Stuart.

John

It IS nice to see him back isn't it!

Sterling work as ever John - looking is here is always an inspiration!

Rob

• Thanks 1

Hello, again!

I pretty well have the major details finished on the bridge roof deck.   Like most of the other details on this build, there were a number of changes made to the equipment on the bridge roof when Regina underwent her modernization refit.

51570023533_6e4a846ce5_z.jpg

This resulted in having to scratch build a number of the tiny refitted details, as shown below.

51570025708_5955aef31f_c.jpg

Like the hangar roof, I needed to determine the location of each of the bridge roof details from photos, due to the lack of detail drawings.  Once I determined where each detail went, I drilled locating holes in the bridge roof deck.

51569783416_3ab14aa9e6_c.jpg

Next, the newly-built details were dry fitted in place.

51570470809_bb4bc3e751_c.jpg

When I was happy with the results, I test fitted the 3D radar & fire control director, built earlier.

51568988107_0470c323f2_c.jpg

And finally, one last comparison check to a photo of the refitted frigate.

51570031593_6cd736ffa6_c.jpg

To complete the bridge roof, I still need to add PE handrails.  I plan to do this after applying a final coat of paint.

Next up, there's still a few modifications needed to be done to the resin model before painting starts.   Hopefully, I'll be at a point where I can start painting the hull in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again for following along.

Stay safe!

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 12

43 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Second that amazing tiny bits.  :hypnotised:

Stay Safe

beefy

On 10/10/2021 at 05:09, longshanks said:

More micro engineering Well done :thumbsup:

Stay safe 

Kev

Thanks everyone for the kind comments & likes.

I'm finally getting comfortable making the 1/350 scale bits & pieces.  It's only taken me how many months? :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

I've been prepping the resin hull for final paint.   I wanted to complete as many changes to the hull & superstructure as possible before applying the finish coats of paint, to minimize the potential for damaging the paint as the build continues.

One area that I felt needed some attention was the rigid hull inflatable (RHIB) Zodiac boat that is used for transporting boarding parties to suspect ships & boats.  I decided to research these inflatable boats to see how accurate was the RHIB supplied with the model kit & to determine if I needed to add some details (go figure :lol:).  I was surprised with what i found.  As it turns out, starting in 2019, bidding started to replace the existing RHIB's carried by the Halifax class frigates with new "multi-role boats (MRB's)".  These new boats are approximately 9 meters long, with seating for 12 people, increased speed (>40 knots), double inboard diesel engines, and upgrades to electronic navigation & communication systems.  A Canadian subsidiary of the Zodiac company was chosen to supply the new boats, signing a contract in 2021.  Comparing the new MRB's to the older Zodiacs, the major visual changes include the addition of a radar mast at the stern, seats for passengers, and relocating the steering position from amidships to closer to the bow.

Here's a photo for comparison.

51651274650_041fe69caf_c.jpg

I checked HMCS Regina's RHIB's carried while she was painted in the North Atlantic camo scheme, & found she did carry one of the new MRB's.   The RHIB supplied with the resin model kit was the older Zodiac design, as shown below.

51651275520_ba02176c10_c.jpg

Being a stickler for detail, I decided to scratch build the new MRB using Evergreen plastic rod & sheet.  Here's a photo of the finished 'micro' scratch build.

51651277090_165c7d637c_c.jpg

And, another photo with a coat of primer & a comparison shot with the kit supplied part.

51651083394_8736a0bdcb_c.jpg

Unfortunately or fortunately (depending how you look at it), the scratch building does't stop there.  As it turns out, a new Launch and Recovery (crane) System (LARS) for the MRB's needed to be  fitted to the RCN's Halifax Class frigates.  This meant I needed to remove the cast crane base from the deck of the resin model to make room for the new LARS. 

So far, I've removed the cast base as shown below.

51651281725_09e8a256d0_c.jpg

I still need to make the new Launch & Recovery system before the MRB can be mounted on the main deck.  Boy, I'm really glad I sorted all this stuff out before applying the finish coat of paint to the hull, especially after having to do the surgery to the main deck.

So after my eyes get uncrossed, I'll start building the LARS (I think I've set a record for the most acronyms I've used in one post :lol:).

Thanks for following along.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 17

8 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

John that Rib is just astonishing - I really have No idea how you produced those tubes!

It looks Soooo good

Rob

Thanks, Rob.

I used two .080" diameter plastic rods, cut them to size with an angled cut at the bow so when they are glued together they formed the 'V' at the bow.  Then I made a base using plastic bar, filing it to the V hull shape, & then gluing the plastic rods around the outside edge of the 'hull' to hold the shape.   The major challenge for me was the small size & trying to keep my fingers away from the glue. :shrug:

John 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JohnWS said:

I still need to make the new Launch & Recovery system

Of course you do ....... :shrug:

9 hours ago, robgizlu said:

John that Rib is just astonishing - I really have No idea how you produced those tubes!

9 hours ago, JohnWS said:

used two .080" diameter plastic rods, cut them to size with an angled cut at the bow so when they are glued together they formed the 'V' at the bow.  Then I made a base using plastic bar, filing it to the V hull shape, & then gluing the plastic rods around the outside edge of the 'hull' to hold the shape.  

A large glug of magic and you're there 🪄

Truly amazing work John. I can only guess at what you can achieve when you're snowed in

Stay safe

Kev

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

... Truly amazing work John. I can only guess at what you can achieve when you're snowed in ...

Thanks Kev.

We got our 1st dusting of snow this morning & the winter forecast expects a higher than average snowfall.  It looks like it'll be a great season for modelling. :yahoo:

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, beefy66 said:

When I first saw the new RIB I thought you had been doing some 3D printing excellent work again on those additions John.  👍

Yeah, I gotta agree there. Very well done. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1