1/350 HMCS Regina (Halifax Class Frigate) 2021

JohnWS

18 hours ago, longshanks said:

I think I can say that you have produced one of the finest pieces of scratch building to be seen on this forum.

I think he just said it, (the "he" being a bit of a scratch god in his own right), very inspiring stuff John, as always  :worthy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Next up, adding a long range radar antenna & lattice mast to the bridge roof.

Prior to her 2015/2016 refit, HMCS Regina (& her sister frigates in her class) were fitted with a 2D Raytheon AN/SPS-49(V)5 long-range active air search radar antenna, mounted on a lattice mast on the ship's bridge roof.  During her modernization refit, the AN/SPS-49 radar was replaced with a Thales "Smart S" Mk II 3D radar, as shown in the photos below (note: you can also see the difference in the shapes of the main masts, before & after the refit).

51253527416_9c809bf366_c.jpg

Adding the Thales radar included modifying the SPS-49 lattice mast by increasing its overall height and adding new search light & radar mounting platforms.  On the model, I'll be able to use the kit's PE SPS-49 lattice mast parts but will need to scratch build an additional 5/32" to the top of the lattice structure.  The search light & radar platforms will need to be scratch built, as well.  I purchased a 1/350 scale 3D printed Thales radar from Shapeways.  It looks the part. :phew:  I've also ordered Model Master 3D printed scale signal lamps & search lights.

So another mast build begins. :unsure:

The resin model had some large protrusions cast on the bridge roof.  I assumed these were either walkways or wave guides/wiring ducts for the SPS-49 radar.  In any case, they are not shown in photographs on the refitted frigates and had to go.

51254573655_476bc79fe7_c.jpg

After some filing, puttying & sanding, I added a rectangular raised panel, shown in frigate photos under the radar mast, cut from plastic sheet.  Finally, I primed the bridge roof.

51254574780_e393ac99d3_c.jpg

Next, I assembled the kit's PE lattice radar mast & added .030" plastic blocks under the mast's legs to get the required height, in preparation for adding on the scratch built pieces.

Here's a photo of the PE lattice mast dry fitted in position;

51252801827_593a7cac12_c.jpg

Next up, I start the scratch build portion of the mast.

Thanks for looking in.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Plodding along during a summer heat wave.

Here's a photo of the purchased 3D printed parts I'm using on the HMCS Regina build.  These parts include new modernization upgrades for Regina, plus replacement parts for the kit parts that either lacked detail or were damaged during the casting process.

51291855582_ac2ae2d39d_c.jpg

I've finished the scratch building work on the 3D Radar's lattice mast to bring it up to Regina's modernization refit standard.  Using the kit's PE lattice mast as a base, I added additional lattice using .020" dia. plastic rod.  Radar & searchlight platforms were made using plastic card & PE mesh similar to the main mast platforms.  A PE ladder was added, as well as a radar wave guide made from rectangular plastic bar.   I've used a 3D printed Thales Smart-S Mk II 3D radar from Shapeways, modifying it's base to simulate the actual radar base.  I also added a Model Master searchlight from Shapeways to the searchlight platform on the front of the mast.

The finished unpainted mast with the radar & searchlight dry fitted is shown in the following photos.

51291856722_5988104991_c.jpg

... and a couple of photos of the actual mast for comparison;

51292883353_ccc1a67283_z.jpg

Next up, I give the mast a coat of primer.  Painting the final colour coats will have to wait until our temperature & humidity level go down.

Thanks for looking in.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 10

Just keeps getting better and better.  Havinig done a lattice tower in 1/72, the complexity and accuracy required at this scale is not lost on me!!!

And BTW - the Scaleway parts look very good - I shall be needing some of those liferaft cannisters for my Type 23 build, down the line.

Rob

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the 'likes'.

4 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Just keeps getting better and better.  Havinig done a lattice tower in 1/72, the complexity and accuracy required at this scale is not lost on me!!!

And BTW - the Scaleway parts look very good - I shall be needing some of those liferaft cannisters for my Type 23 build, down the line.

Rob

Thanks, Rob.  Yes, the lattice work is a wee bit of a challenge, but so far so good.  Shapeways' quality seems to be improving & they have cut their delivery times almost in half.   I'm sure the competition from other quality 3D printing providers has helped.

John

• Like 1

A short update.  The 3D radar lattice mast is primed.

Here's a series of photos showing both the 3D radar & main masts test fitted.  I've included a paper cutout of a member of the crew to show scale.

51299542005_b2f60be2d6_c.jpg

51299542710_b2d045fd90_c.jpg

51298708403_27255fe33d_c.jpg

51298534566_e7ba0729e9_c.jpg

Next up, I have one more mast to scratch build.  It's a pole mast located amidships.  Hopefully, it'll be an easier & quicker build  than those lattice masts.

Thanks for looking.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 12

Marvellous mini engineering going on here John can you please tell me the secrete is it the wine or just the love of a good woman think I need to change one of mine to whatever you say.  :whistle:

just don't tell missus B until I have change over the bank account.

Stay safe

beefy

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, beefy66 said:

... can you please tell me the secret is it the wine or just the love of a good woman ...

beefy, wine certainly is involved but when it comes is a good woman it's more about patience & tolerance.  She's put up with this old guy & his idiosyncrasies for a very long time.  :wub:

• Like 3

This is impressive work, I built the Resin Shipyard 1/700 version of a Halifax Class last year as my COVID lockdown project and I had wondered about trying it at 1/350, your build is giving me good insight to what to expect from the ISW kit. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, again!

I've taken a little detour from mast building & decided to attempt scratch building a tiny upgrade that HMCS Regina received during her modernization refit - Fire Control Directors.  Regina has two FC directors, one on the bridge roof & one aft on the hangar roof.  Originally the Halifax class frigates had STIR 124CA fire control radar installed.  These were changed during the refit to an updated Saab Ceros 200 FC directors.

51508117440_92ecef0582_c.jpg

New mounting bases for the directors were installed as well.

This meant that I first needed to modify the model's resin STIR 124CA FCR base on the hangar roof.  This included cutting off a portion on the resin base & adding new maintenance platform.  After painting, I'll be adding a handrail & ladders to finish off the platform.

51343804890_2b60b76d1e_c.jpg

Next, I attempted to scratch build the 2 Ceros 200 FCD bases & the 2 directors using plastic card & rod.  This ended up being no easy task due to their tiny size & having to dimension the parts from photos.  After a few attempts, i finally got something that resembled the actual equipment.

51506387427_ec124d7090_c.jpg

Here's a close-up photo of the end result.  (Note to self - I still need to add a door to  the bridge roof's director's base.)

51343806055_088fe177c5_c.jpg

And finally, a photo showing the directors after a coat of primer.

51507433713_5efcbf1523_c.jpg

Now, it's back to building the last mast located amidships ... once my eyes & fingers are given a little rest :sleeping: .

Thanks for looking.

Be safe!

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 14

38 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Magic as usual John. 

Thanks Kev!  Appreciated, as always.  

I guess some of the magic is making the tiny parts disappear in the carpet monster. :winkgrin:

42 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Any chance you could manufacture the Euro Millions Lotto numbers, ahead of the draw 

:shrug: Just asking....

I wish!  Then I could reduce my stress by paying an expert (like you) to make my models.  But, where would be the fun in that? :rofl:

• Haha 1

Amazing details John you miss half of them in the raw white plastic then the primer just brings it all together.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Amazing details John you miss half of them in the raw white plastic then the primer just brings it all together.  👍

Thanks beefy.

The white plastic details get washed out in the photos.  I haven't mastered all the camera lighting settings.  The grey primer does show the details, but it shows the mistakes too.  :doh:

John

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Another short update.  This time, the UHF Antenna & Support Mast located amidships.

I scratch built this mast using plastic bar for the mast & plastic rod for the antenna.  Two small antenna were made from sections cut from 1/350 scale PE handrails & stretched plastic sprue.  The mast main supports was made from wine bottle foil & plastic sheet.  Overall the antenna & mast assembly was made from 16 tiny parts.

Here's a photo of the assembly dry fitted & waiting for a coat of primer.

51371748946_1e565b4a61_c.jpg

Unfortunately, this build has been proceeding slower than normal as we continue to deal with our summer heat wave, e.g. today's high is 40°C  including the humidity index.  Luckily, so far we haven't had to deal with forest fires like other regions of Canada & the world.

Thanks again for looking.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 8

• 5 weeks later...

Hello again!  It's September & time to get back to some serious modelling.  I've turned my attention to the helicopter hangar roof & the flight deck.

The equipment located on the hangar roof of HMCS Regina was configured differently during her refit, as shown in the following comparison photos.

51508141585_db8797cb1d_c.jpg

I found that the required parts either were omitted from the resin model kit or were new & needed to be scratch built.  Some of the parts were already cast on the hangar roof.  I decided that, rather than modify these cast parts, I would remove them & start with a clean slate, as shown below.

51507440143_f54a99d75f_c.jpg

I also removed the Phalanx gun's cast base located in the corner of the hangar roof, as well as the Landing Signal Officer's 'Howdah' located on the flight deck.  This eliminates the need to mask off these parts when painting the decks & allowed me to reuse them later.   In case you're wondering, the word 'howdah' means "a seat or covered pavilion on the back of an elephant or camel".   The Landing Signal Officer (LSO) compartment on the flight deck reminded the airmen of a camel's hump.  The word was derived from the Arabic word 'hawdaj'.

I've scratch built the antenna, Phalanx gun system, & the helicopter visual landing assist equipment using white Evergreen plastic plus some resin & PE parts supplied in the kit.  Again, it was a bit of a challenge due to the small size of these parts.

Here's a photo of the completed parts waiting for a coat of primer;

51507930854_8b6386f1c3_c.jpg

Next up, I'll prime the parts, lay out their locations, on the hangar roof, & drill locating holes to accept locating pins I've included on the scratch built parts.  Unfortunately, I don't have a drawing showing the positions of these parts, so I'll be using photos and a little guesswork. 

Thanks for looking in.

Stay safe!

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, longshanks said:

Oh My! Are there any more levels you can take this to 😉

Outstanding modelling as always John :clap2:

Stay safe

Kev

3 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Super!

Guy

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

What my Learned friend said B)

Rob

Thank you!  As always, your comments are really appreciated. :cheers:

I've missed modelling over the summer months, & it's good to be back at it.

John

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Simply superb.  I hope you have six separate barrels in that Phalanx though! :laugh:

Well, in my (anal) quest for accuracy, I tried! :wall: I glued six tiny pieces of stretched plastic sprue around a seventh piece in the centre to make the barrels.  Lots of fun ... not! :fraidnot:

Here's a close-up pic of the finished gun in a fresh coat of primer.

51449084595_c60e7152b1.jpg

Thank goodness for having a magnifying glass. :)

John

• Like 10