1/350 HMCS Regina (Halifax Class Frigate) 2021

JohnWS

Well being a Canuck I just had to review this thread. Glad I did, incredible build mate, WTB! The details you put into the mast is exactly why I prefer 1941 or older ships myself, I just don’t have the skill level or patience for such immaculate work 😉

• Thanks 1

Continuing the main mast build.

Scratch building the pole mast is completed.

51179451073_7a7c8b7ecf_c.jpg

The pole mast carries IFF (Interrogator Friend or Foe) antenna, DLPS (Data Link Processing System) antenna, VHF/UHF antenna, and navigation lights.   I wasn't able to find any detailed dimensional drawings for the pole mast.  As a result, I spent a lot of time researching what is included on the mast.  Then scaling a number photos of the refitted frigates to fit the model and use as guides to scratch build the mast.

I made the 'pole' using .03" & .o4" dia. Evergreen plastic rod.  The nav lights were made from stretched clear plastic sprue.  For the IFF antenna, I used PE parts included with the model kit.  I cut the centre hubs for the IFF antenna from plastic card to replace the flimsy PE parts supplied with the kit.  The mast's base was cut from .08" thick plastic sheet & filed to a hexagonal shape.  I was looking at adding some of the many wires & cables to the build, but decided against it due to their small size at 1/350 scale.  Sorry Dancona, weld beads & rivets didn't pass muster either. :laugh:

Here's a photo for the finished pole mast before paint;

51179452298_a8256d3256_c.jpg

And another photo showing where the main mast assembly sits today;

51179453478_0c196f7579_c.jpg

Next, I'll be adding a hybrid radar & navigation radar antenna plus some additional detail to finish off the main mast.

Thanks for looking.

Stay safe!

John 

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

:gobsmacked:I have a complaint will you stop using your BIG pen it makes the mast look tiny and fiddley amazing build John 👍

Stay Safe 

beefy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, longshanks said:

What's to say ......

Thanks Kev.  Well, you could say that I won the lottery. :rofl:

8 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Flippin Luvely 

Thanks Rob.  Your comments are always appreciated. :nodding:

7 hours ago, beefy66 said:

... I have a complaint will you stop using your BIG pen it makes the mast look tiny and fiddley amazing build ...

Sorry, our complaint department is closed due to the virus.   Shhh, not so loud beefy.  Kev might want his big pen back. :giggle:

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JohnWS said:

you could say that I won the lottery. :rofl:

I could :shrug: but you didn't mention my commission ....,.,

1 hour ago, JohnWS said:

Kev might want his big pen back. :giggle:

You can keep it John I've found a bigger one. Size matters as we all know :rofl:

Kev

• Haha 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again!

I trying to continue this build over the Spring & Summer months, but unfortunately what would be a normally slow build has become a snail's pace build.  Enjoying the nice weather & Spring household chores have been the priority over the last few weeks. 

But there has been some progress building Regina's main mast.

I've finished building the top portion of the mast including the surveillance & air defence radar antenna,  I was able to use PE parts from the resin model kit for the antenna, but had to completely scratch build the mounting framework.  It took a few attempts to get it looking right due to its small size.

Here's a photo showing the top portion of the main mast 1) as built & 2) with a coat of primer.  I've included a copy of a photo of the actual mast for comparison.

51218928021_38ba3aefea_c.jpg

Also, here's a close up photo showing the various mast parts dry fitted.

51218218367_038ab20c78_c.jpg

Next steps will be work my way down the lattice portion of the mast adding some structural members & additional radar antenna.

Thanks again for checking in.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 12

Great joy to see your efforts, John. Espacially comparision between real mast and your excellent replica and descriptions...

Edited by socjo1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I've finally finished making & modifying Regina's main mast.  

The last portion of the mast to be completed was the four legged lattice mast.  This included modifying the kit's PE parts for the navigation radar support structure; making the two Reprogrammable Advanced Multimode Shipboard Electronic Countermeasures System (say that 5 times really fast ) equipment using the kit's PE & resin parts plus some scratch building; making simulated flag lanyard blocks from drilled out .030" diameter plastic rod; making the Raytheon navigation radar from plastic strip; scratch building two anemometers (used for measuring wind speed & direction); and adding a small antenna at each each end or the yardarm (cut from spare 1/350 PE handrail).

Here's a photo of the lattice mast including the new completed parts, prior to priming;

51241217723_8dd502bc40_c.jpg

And, one more photo showing different views of the lattice mast;

51241218683_4ef94cfd07_c.jpg

I'll be adding a coat of primer to the mast & parts, & then dry fit all the mast parts for photo op.

Next, once my eyes & fingers have a short rest, I'll be building a second lattice mast for a 3D radar antenna mounted on the bridge roof.

Thanks again for the supportive comments & 'likes'.

And, as always, thanks for looking.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 4

It's been a couple of months since I caught up with this and although you describe your progress as slow John, the quality more than makes up for it.

I was intrigued by that small lattice low level railing that goes around the top of the masthead platform.  Was that scratch built as well? 

• Thanks 1

The main mast has been primed & resulting visible little defects have been corrected.

Here's a photo showing the results.

51245179993_5c10b9b724_c.jpg

And, a photo showing the 4 sides.

51244273847_969d92761c_c.jpg

I'm really happy with the results.  The main mast turned into a modelling project by itself.  The challenge was to add a much detail as possible in 1/350 scale & keep all the visible parts of the mast distinguishable to the naked eye (in my case, the naked eye with glasses :nerd:).

One final photo of the mast test fitted to the resin model.  The insert is a reminder of where I'm supposed to be heading with this build. 

51246044855_a5ef598bac_c.jpg

Thanks for following along.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 5

17 hours ago, JohnWS said:

The challenge was to add a much detail as possible in 1/350 scale & keep all the visible parts of the mast distinguishable to the naked eye (in my case, the naked eye with glasses 

Well you certainly managed that John, Gold Medal standard.

I think I can say that you have produced one of the finest pieces of scratch building to be seen on this forum.

:clap2:

Kev

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

This is going to be a real competition winner!!!

Looks Fab

Rob

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

My thoughts exactly Rob!

Terry

54 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Well you certainly managed that John, Gold Medal standard.

I think I can say that you have produced one of the finest pieces of scratch building to be seen on this forum.

:clap2:

Kev

Rob, Terry & Kev, thanks for the kind & supportive comments.  You're making me blush. :blush:

No pressure as this build goes forward ... NOT!   On long & detailed builds like this, sometimes it's hard to stay motivated.  But, having your support makes it a lot easier for me to stay motivated & continually strive to match the high standards you have achieved on your builds. :worthy:

John

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JohnWS said:

On long & detailed builds like this, sometimes it's hard to stay motivated.  But, having your support makes it a lot easier for me to stay motivated & continually strive to match the high standards you have achieved on your builds. :worthy:

John I think you mean they guilt trip you into doing mad things with BIG pens.  :hmmm:

I am sure that pen has shrunk or is it just my eye's.  :hypnotised:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

John I think you mean they guilt trip you into doing mad things with BIG pens.  :hmmm: ...

beefy!!! :nono:

35 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

... I am sure that pen has shrunk or is it just my eye's.  :hypnotised:

Nope, but It could be that you still have soapy bath water in your eyes from your LCAC build . :giggle:

John

• Haha 3