spacer.png

Having been inspired by this lovely Pitcairn Islands commemorative stamp seen online...and since Atlantis Models has conveniently re-released Revell's old 'box scale' P-3 Orion at a too-good-to-pass-up price...I thought I'd do up the latter as a tribute to the RNZAF. With over five decades (gulp!) of P-3 operations to their credit, there are numerous possibilities as to camouflage and insignia combinations to choose from, but the choice for me was 'no contest.'

The iconic 'kiwi' roundel...and the white-over-grey color scheme -- which every right-thinking individual of a 'certain age'  instantly recognizes as the only 'proper' colors for maritime patrol aircraft! (Plus...that's what's on the stamp, so why not? 1985 is our chosen 'moment in time.')

Since the 1/115 'box scale' of the classic kit didn't seem likely to match available commercial decal sets, I opted to go ahead and make my own -- a process which I do with some regularity. Nice-resolution images of the kiwi roundel are plentiful on the 'Net...and fellow GB participant Alan @LDSModeller -- whose father served with No 5 Squadron on their P-3B's -- was kind enough to point out that the 54" size should be used for that era. A perusal online revealed that the proper RNZAF font for serials and nose numbers is called 'Univers J'...which was most-helpfully available on a site dedicated to the creation of computer gaming skins for ANZAC aircraft.

I've finished the 'basic' artwork for the decals. The kit's still in transit, but I'll post the usual photos when it arrives Until then, I've tacked on the re-release box art featuring the original atmospheric Revell cover painting by the late, great 'box art Master' Jack Leynnwood.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Until next time.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, abat said:

Decals look very nice. Do you use an inkjet printer on transparency film?

Thanks.

Yes, I generally print colors on white film (and trim as necessary), and print black/dark images like numbers on clear film. My inkjet is an old 'cheapie' HP...but it soldiers on!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thorfinn said:

Thanks.

Yes, I generally print colors on white film (and trim as necessary), and print black/dark images like numbers on clear film. My inkjet is an old 'cheapie' HP...but it soldiers on!

Thanks for the tips. I must try that for some impossible-to-get ones I need. 

Since the old Revell kit is a pretty simple model overall, the biggest hurdle is the "major surgery" to remove the bulged bomb-bay doors found only on the earliest -A models of the aircraft...the easy part...and form out the 'standard' fuselage contours with sheet stock, which is the dicier bit.

I cut an inner blanking layer to follow the curvature of the area and attached it inside before assembling the fuselage halves, just to give a good solid base to work with. Once all that was dry, I added some shims where necessary and cut another section of styrene sheet -- about the same thickness as the fuselage pieces -- to fill in the 'hole,' using rubber bands and super glue to get it as close as possible to the right contour. One that's all set, it will be the usual putty and sand...and putty and sand, and putty and sand...before going on to rescribe the raised (but amazingly-petite) panel lines as required. (All of which would be a bit easier on any color of plastic other than white...but there we are.)

On a more positive note, with the model actually in hand, I was able to make a few minor size adjustments to my decal art, and printed them out without a hitch. I'm supposing I'll spend much of the week tidying up the fuselage (and finishing wings and such in between) so hopefully she'll be getting toward basic assembly when next I report.

Stay safe and think good antipodal thoughts!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @thorfinn

Have you had a chance to make any more progress on your Orion since we last heard from you  ?

Cheers Pat 

Sorry, Pat, I posted in the main thread but got distracted and forgot to post here.

The house move I was hoping wouldn't be quite so soon reared its ill-timed head. All the modeling gear and the half-completed Orion is/are packed away until the dust settles. Not sure whether I'll be able to get going again in time to make the deadline.

I will happily continue following along on the GB as time permits...too much good stuff going on here, to miss out on! Thanks to all for your interest and support.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 7:04 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hello mate

Have you managed to find the time between opening removal boxes to return to your Orion yet ?

Cheers Pat 

Alas, no.

In temporary lodgings until work on the new venue is finished...with pretty much all the 'fun' stuff still in storage.

Even though I'll almost certainly miss the GB deadline, I will most certainly post the build when it gets re-started.

And...thanks, Pat, for asking. I appreciate the interest! 😄

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thorfinn said:

And...thanks, Pat, for asking. I appreciate the interest! 😄

Very welcome mate, 

A good friend of mine moved house and made the fatal mistake of using dustbin bags to put stuff in for the move.

When he unpacked he found bags of rubbish that was supposed to have gone in the bin and all his footwear missing apart from the pair he was wearing....

As it was raining at the time of the move all he had left to wear was a pair of Wellington boots  !

Cheers Pat

• Sad 3

46 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Very welcome mate, 

A good friend of mine moved house and made the fatal mistake of using dustbin bags to put stuff in for the move.

When he unpacked he found bags of rubbish that was supposed to have gone in the bin and all his footwear missing apart from the pair he was wearing....

As it was raining at the time of the move all he had left to wear was a pair of Wellington boots  !

Cheers Pat

Moved a fair bit as a kid due to my father's job; learned early-on...the hard way...that 'well-labled boxes' was the only way to go.

Still, one cannot help but sympathize....

• Like 2