1/72 Airfix DH Mosquito NF.II. 23 Sqn, Malta, 1942-43 ***FINISHED*** 05/02/2021

DaveyGair

I didn't put my name up for this GB for some reason, a bit late in the day but should be able to still do this.

I must have made a fair few of these back in the Seventies as a teenager, it was my favourite Airfix kit. I haven't built one since then so was pleased I picked this up fairly cheap on the 'Bay earlier last year.

I am going to do a camouflaged machine using decals by Delta Decals. They point out in the scheme instructions they found out later the serial is wrong for this particular airframe but I can correct it using numbers from the rest of the sheet.

Will be OOB, I have tried re-scribing before but still need a lot more practice so will leave that for sometime in the future.

Will do something to fill the hole that is the cockpit, I'm not a great detailer but have found some bits in the spares box for a pretend radar scope and radio gear (from Airfix Wellington interior parts I didn't use).

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002

• Like 4

So let's get on with it.  I have started to do something with the cockpit, at least trying to emulate the actual interior.  The shelf needs to trimmed to fit when the fuselage halves are closed and I need to make a bulkhead to the rear of the canopy, but apart from adding the 'radio' gear and seat-belts it'll do me when painted and dry-brushed.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0003 DSC_0004

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Col. said:

You're off to a good start in the 'pit Davey :goodjob:

Thanks mate, I thought I better make some effort, especially with the space behind the seats.

I forgot to take shots before closing up the fuselage so here's where I'm at right now.  I forgot to add the tail-wheel before closing up but easily remedied. The wings were a good fit after just some slight shaving of plastic here and there.  In the process of sorting joins and sanding down the over-size rivets.  Still mulling over the undercarriage 'problem', seems a tight fit to get them in afterwards.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0004

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Col. said:

Coming together rapidly :thumbsup: and there's plenty detail in there given how thick the canopy is on this kit.

I must have bought a Pavla vacform canopy sometime, I found it in the box, haven't tried it yet though.  The kit canopy is thick but actually quite clear. We'll see how it goes.

Davey.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Still mulling over the undercarriage 'problem', seems a tight fit to get them in afterwards

Hi Davey, I built this kit a few years ago & found by some judicious trimming I could slip the U/C in & out at will as detail here.

Hopefully that will help.

Steve.

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Hi Davey, I built this kit a few years ago & found by some judicious trimming I could slip the U/C in & out at will as detail here.

Hopefully that will help.

Steve.

Thanks for the tip Steve, lovely job by the way. 

I test fitted the parts yesterday, first clipping in the leg that the wheel goes on, then clipping in the the other leg and that seemed to work fine using the lugs and holes as is. I refuse to buy resin wheels for the kit, nearly costing what I paid for the kit itself, I may mould some myself from one of the Tamiya kits I have, the Airfix wheels look kind of 'bloated' as well!

Davey.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

, the Airfix wheels look kind of 'bloated' as well!

They’re definitely too wide.  I suspect that this might be due to someone in tooling inadvertently increasing the width by the depth of the locating flanges around the wheels’ circumference in the overall width of the wheels.  Now that I’ve been reminded of it I feel like digging out the Mosquito that’s sharing a box with my long-time “must get some paint on that” Victor and undertaking some experimental surgery.

• Like 2

A bit more done on the 'Mossie' over the weekend after a slight lull, although I did do some sanding of the raised detail. I have left enough on, especially on the bottom, to pick out with a dry-brush.  Did coat of Vallejo Black Primer which dries to a fantastic, smooth finish.  This aircraft will of course have a Dark Green/Grey upper camouflage applied.

While I've been getting on with this, and in light of Airfix announcing a new two-stage Mossie, I decided to build a Mk.XVI with bulged bay using the Tamiya kit with Bren-Gun resin engines and a Blackbird models Bulged bomb-bay and 100 gal. tanks. (Mainly because it has the same camo scheme) This is being done in the same markings as one of the options shown on the Airfix website, 109 Sqn ML 957 but using the Blackbird models decals and is shown here compared to the Airfix kit.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0009 DSC_0010 DSC_0011

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Two Mossies? You're just spoiling us now :wub:

Well, you can't have too many Mossies now can you!  The B.Mk. XVI will appear in the Aircraft section RFI when finished so keep an eye out😉

Davey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Well, you can't have too many Mossies now can you!

When they are eating me alive out in the garden, yes definitely can have too many! 🦟

AW

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Col. said:

If it happens to feature in the background of your continued progress with the nightfighter I'm sure none of us will object ;)

'Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no maw'ah !

@DaveyGairthose wheels are wider than I remember.  Even with the flanges removed they’re still too wide to fit on the axles.  The kit I’ve attacked is an early moulding and even after I’d had the flanges off there was only about 10 thou of axle showing through the wheel.  Life’s not made easier by the fact that the mudguard stays moulded to the radius arms are so badly misaligned that three hands are required to get anywhere near a good fit.  Roll on the new B. XVI.

• Like 1

Did the upper colours the last couple of days, Grey first then the Green. Why is it when I meticulously mask off for the next colour there is always a bit of overspray sneaking in here and there!  both are Vallejo ModelAir, the green is their own RAF Dark Green which I think can look a little TOO Green, so mixed in a little bit of USAF Forest Green to 'Grey' it up a bit.  Some tidying up with a brush is needed here and there but looking Ok so far I think.

The Mk.XVI has sneaked in again for the last picture, overspray most noticeable on the port wing!

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003 DSC_0004

• Like 5

Here we are with the painting and decalling done then a coat of Matt Varnish to flatten the finish a bit.  I thought the decals went on quite well, they're a bit opaque but not much I can do about that. When I had done the Matt Varnish it revealed a fair bit of silvering!  I've tried the usual methods to rescue things but have ended up painting in to cover it up, the serials are almost unreadable.  The other 'Mossie' I'm doing was just about perfect, just different decals?  Anyway, I'll crack on with this and get it done, the B.Mk.XVI will be over on the Aircraft Modelling RFI soon as well.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003

• Like 6

Ok, nearly finished with this.  Installed the undercarriage and bay doors, aerials and stuff.  Got to paint the Radar antenna and guns. The Vac-form canopy has been adjusted to fit, a couple of small gaps front both sides but will deal with that, I don't want to cut any more from the moulding.  I'm going to do the framing with painted masking tape.  I still have to decide whether to add the small Di-pole antenna in the wings, don't know if my eyes and hands could cope!

The B.Mk.XVI lurks in the background, nearly done.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002

• Like 5

• DaveyGair changed the title to 1/72 Airfix DH Mosquito NF.II. 23 Sqn, Malta, 1942-43 ***FINISHED*** 05/02/2021

Here we are all finished! This hasn't been TOO bad really, I still didn't quite get the fit of the canopy right but I didn't want to screw things up hacking away at the fuselage and said Vac canopy.  I did the framing with pre-painted Tamiya tape, painting in the Dark Green after wards.

I managed to do the receiver aerials, drilling through the wing and using .009" thou E guitar string, seems to work OK and they can be bent into shape afterwards.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement and good luck with your builds!

Davey.

DSC_0006 DSC_0010 DSC_0008

• Like 7