FV439 Ptarmigan

4scourge7

Hi all

I`ve Googled the FV439 and got back some helpful pics. I still think I need an education and better pics if I`m to model one. Is there a go-to site for info? Am I correct in saying there were two main types with the difference being the generator housing on the roof?

TIA

Ian

1 hour ago, 4scourge7 said:

Hi all

I`ve Googled the FV439 and got back some helpful pics. I still think I need an education and better pics if I`m to model one. Is there a go-to site for info? Am I correct in saying there were two main types with the difference being the generator housing on the roof?

TIA

Ian

Well the man above is the go too for this if he can’t help nobody can😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies.

I have no idea about this subject matter, but it was the radio relay FV439 vehicle with the masts etc stowed on the roof, that I was going to model. 

Ptarmigan Triffid/Radio Relay FV439 - Military Scale Models - HMVF - Historic Military Vehicles Forum

I understood, possibly wrongly, that the Wavell system was fitted to a separate vehicle designated FV435, with a large box structure to the rear of the hull, so started a separate thread for that.

I was looking to do both, but I know next to nothing about either.

Thanks again, Ian

• Like 1

If you are after doing a radio relay wagon then @Wogga is your man fella, he’s done a full conversion using 3d print tech, bloody good it is too, he’s ex Corps so knows the subject well.

We classified all the Ptarmigan wagons as 439’s but it is a grey area with the 432 family tree. The original 439 was from memory the Cymbeline radar system which really did add a bucket full of confusion when it came to ordering spares.  I ordered up some parts for one of our radio relays and ended up getting kit that wasn’t from our line of gear, one or two digits out on the NSN (NATO stock number) caused issues. We did end up with some swing fire missile bins at one point which caused a few issues with the QMT.

You might be right about the Wavell, it could of been a FV435 but it didn’t last long in service at all as it was right piece of :poop: But again I’m going on over 25 years of old memories so don’t take it as gospel that it was a 439, it only lasted a few years before being binned off as a failed project- never to be seen again - Circa 1992. 

Pictures of the Wavell are very rare, I think I have a couple somewhere just before they were backloaded and sold off, I’ll check in the next day or so. I’ll also ping you details of some books I have on the 43 series serving in the Royal Signals. 

• Like 1

Thank you Dads203, some excellent assistance!

I have sought out Wogga`s build and it is just the ticket, as well as being an exceptional bit of work.

Very much appreciate being steered in the right direction! 👍

Cheers, Ian 

• Like 1