Meteor FR.9 WX978 2 Squadron  Airfix 1/48

Couple of quick shots on the bench (paint still wet and its going dark) of the latest build - Airfix’s lovely Meteor FR.9 done as the boxed 2 Squadron option. Extras used include the Eduard cockpit and seatbelt sets and a replacement pitot from Master. I’ve wanted to do this scheme ever since the kit was first released but have hung back mainly due to a lack of references. Luckily I recently stumbled across a paragraph in Roger Lindsay’s three volume masterpiece ‘Cold War Shield’. In it (Volume 1, Meteor FR.9, 2 Sqn chapter) he makes a particular reference to WX978 whilst serving with 2 Squadron noting it seen wearing the ‘old Slate Grey/Medium Sea Grey uppers and PRU Blue’ scheme. He also adds the aircraft was coded X complete with a blue tip to the fin bullet and of particular interest “still fitted with the old style framed canopy”. That swung it, I had to start the build. That’s two models finished in one week. Hope it’s of interest.

• Like 68
  • Thanks 4

Wow that's fantastic! I've got mine 75% completed but it's stalled on the shelf of doom. If it comes out half as nice as yours then I'll be well chuffed. Great job on yours. Love the meatbox in all its variations and colour schemes, so many to choose from.

• Thanks 1

You`ve done a lovely job there,..... I recommended this scheme to Airfix and wrote an article some years ago now for Model Aircraft Monthly where I re discovered this scheme on the Meteor (and Hornet,... and Vampire!)  and modelled the old Classic Airframes kit in the scheme with 208 Sqn markings. There was this post too;

Shame you missed the article,.... it might have saved you some time,..... but you`ve still built a fantastic model mate,.... congratulations.

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1