3 hours ago, bobsyouruncle said:

That is gorgeous. I like how you've managed to make a Grey colour scheme with no fancy markings look so very attractive and convincing.

A real work of art. Love it.

Thank you!  That was my biggest reservation when I started (that and cutting out the canopy escape hatch).   After reading up on this aircraft (Avieology's instructions are a wealth of info), I figured out that this aircraft more than likely had the field-applied SDS scheme.  This was a thinly applied coat of Extra Dark Sea Grey (some think it was a lighter shade but I digress) that allowed the original camouflage to show through.     So I ended up doing the same thing.  First the original green / grey camo was applied.  

IMG_1324

Next I added some shading (saw this trick on a wonderful 48th scale Mossie build here on BM).

IMG_1328

And then I applied a slightly lightend shade of EDSG, just light enough to allow the underlying camo to be seen.  

IMG_1331

After the picture above, I went back and smoothed in some of imperfections, but you get the idea.     The pictures I took for my RFI were under poor lighting so this effect isn't as obvious but trust me, it's there!

John

• Like 5

Well, I would say that this wonderful scale model leaves me speechless, but obviously, that is not the case.  😉 

Instead, I will say that this is some of the finest modeling work I've ever seen.    Your added details have enhanced and completed a true work of model art; please sir, take a well-deserved bow for this excellent result!  :worthy:

and, I'm certainly "borrowing" that painting technique (described just above ^^^) on my next camo-job!  😀

• Thanks 1

That is the best Mossie I´ve seen - and its Norwegian!!!😍 Will do mine in the camo scheme, with Vingtor`s decals. Rather sad that the build tread has ended - it`s been a pleasure and something to look forward to. Right now looking for AMS slipper tanks...... sold out it seems.

Cheers John

• Thanks 1

Jaw-dropping, especially the cockpit! Your paintwork technique has done a great job of improving what could otherwise be quite a bland scheme on such a smooth panel-less surface.

I’ve got this in the stash but can’t quite pluck up the courage to start it yet. Do the Aviealogy decals include the stencilling? I’ve read that the Tamiya decals are so thick as to be virtually unusable.

• Thanks 1

Magnificent. truly magnificent. a work of art for sure. I would echo other co-respondents recommendations for the books ("A Separate Little War" and Les Taylor's Banff Strike Wing book - The latter provides some real atmospherics since it includes many photos of life behind the scenes too). Some years ago I had to go to RAF Lossiemouth on business and on the way home to Edinburgh I decided to take an early diversion and drive past Dallachy and Banff. I did not have time to visit either site although I did pay my respects at a memorial that sits on the opposite side of the road from Dallachy (I think ?). Having subsequently spent time working and living on the West Coast of Norway, I have also visited some of the 'targets' which provided an interesting perspective to the whole story. Needless to say, I have several kits (mainly 1:48 scale) in the stash awaiting the day when I can also replicate something from these two Strike Wings.

In the meantime, I can only wonder at your handiwork.

Well Done, Sir !     

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johnny akes said:

Jaw-dropping, especially the cockpit! Your paintwork technique has done a great job of improving what could otherwise be quite a bland scheme on such a smooth panel-less surface.

I’ve got this in the stash but can’t quite pluck up the courage to start it yet. Do the Aviealogy decals include the stencilling? I’ve read that the Tamiya decals are so thick as to be virtually unusable.

Thank you sir!   There are no stencils included with that Aviealogy sheet, I used Barracuda’s stenciling sheet (which is very nice).  You are correct on Tamiya’s decals.  I wouldn’t say unusable but they are on the thick side and don’t respond well to setting solutions.  

Speaking of decal issues - I’ve never seen decals set up as quick as Aviealogy’s.    You can wet the surface all you want but you better be accurate with your decal placement because you have about 2 seconds to get the decal in its final position.  After that, it’s not moving anywhere.  You’ve been warned!  Other than that, the decals are quite nice.   

John

Very nice model!

Re the Norwegian flag on the nose, I am pretty sure this should have been in the dull colours. At least the only colour photo I have seen of a 333 Sqn Mosquito has the flag in the same colours as the roundels. (The same goes for all known colour photos of other Norwegian aircraft in the RAF).

Nils

• Thanks 1