Which European cars could be viable kits?

cmatthewbacon

I am quite correctly reminded by @keefr22 that a Skoda 130 GS is not a British car, so I’ve started this thread for a similar discussion on which European cars are crying out for a 1/24 kit... A few from me:

Lancia Aurelia B20

Alfa Romeo T33 Stradale

Facel Vega

Iso Grifo

Borgward Isabella

Alfasud

...and of course the Skoda 130 GS

Best,

M.

• Like 3

A decent Bugatti Veyron and Chiron would not go amiss as proper 1/24 scale plastic kits.   Airfix already have licences but choose to do simplified Lego like versions in 1/24th scale for 'younger' modellers to throw together in half an hour, It is a great pity that they have not gone with the click together methods like other manufacturers such as Revell and Lindberg that have proper interior detail that is not compromised by the Lego method of building. The proper car kits that they make are still done in 1/32nd scale. Cannot understand why unless the bodies double up for slot racers.

Also, how about a Jensen Interceptor......British Car.....American Muscle.......Italian Styling.

Triumph Stag, Triumph TR4? there are so many subjects crying out to be kitted.

Edited by Noel Smith

I would like to see

Volvo PV544, P1800, Amazon and P240 Station wagon,.NSU 1200TTS, Ford Granada Mk1, Ford Capri 2600RS, Fiat 128 coupe, VW Typ 3, Glas 1800GT, Bedford Blitz van, ISO Rivolta, Alfasud ti and coupe.... 

Marco F 

• Like 2

Another vote for a Fulvia and an Alfasud Ti - and also the lovely Zagato bodied Fulvia, with an optional Sport Competizione body shell!

Fiat 124 rally car. 

Opel Kadett GT/E 

Seat Ibiza kit car - Belkits have announced Maxi Megane and Clio kit cars, I hope they continue with the Ibiza! Saxo, AX, Punto and Pug 106 kit cars would also be nice!

Simca Rallye.

Alpine A310 and the new A110

Saab 99 Turbo

Volvo P1800

That's probably enough to be going on with!

Keith

• Like 2

SAAB 9-3 SS (2003 + models)

Had one for eleven years. Superb car. Built like a tank, even though it was a Vectra underneath (well, sort of)

Mechanically sound, Body was still immaculate. Chassis still good.

What finally killed it was the EMU! Rubbish GM electronics!

Cheers,

Alan.

• Sad 1

Looks like a P1800, Alfasud and a Lancia Fulvia are ahead on points... It seems that the head honchos might be “retiring” the Alfa and Lancia brands for actual cars, maybe they should reinvent themselves as a plastic kit company with a fabulous “greatest hits” back catalogue...

best,

M.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Can't argue with any of those three for viability. Most of the most promising cars are already made so of the ones left I'd suggest:

Ferrari 308GTB (yes, I know Revell have done one but I get the impression it's not that great)

Fiat 124 (which could be fleshed out with any number of Eastern European derivatives, after all if Revell can make the Trabi to such a high standard....)

Fiat Panda - the original one which is pretty iconic, especially if done as the 4x4

Not sure it would be profitable, but I'm another one who'd love to see the Skoda 130/Estelle

• Like 2

Whilst there isn't a plastic P1800 or Amazon, there are the AirTrax resin ones...

I'm still surprised that no kit manufacturer has issued one of Hans Ledwinka's big prewar Tatra streamliners in 1:35 for the military modellers, as I'd expect it to be very popular, given the numerous other staff car offerings available.  If going for the military market, it would probably be a T77A or T87, although perhaps also the smaller T97, rather than the earlier T77.  I'd rather have one in 1:24 though!!!

15 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Ferrari 308GTB (yes, I know Revell have done one but I get the impression it's not that great)

There's the Revell USA one which I think is full detail, and the (ex) Monogram curbside one, which Revell AG reboxed about ten years ago.   From what I  have read, the shape on the Revell USA one isn't great, but Monogram one is meant to be very accurate in shape, and lacking only some panel lines around the engine cover.  These were easy to add when I built my one (now in the parts box as the paint went horribly wrong...).  However, I thought it was a very nice kit, and due to its simplicity, it all went together well.

Edited by Paul H
  • Like 1

Ah, Euro cars. I would like myself a 911 GT3 post-996 to be made as a 1/24 kits. 991.2 GT3 Touring in particular. AMG GT R Pro would be nice too, had a major want after testing one with my friend and seeing another one in AMG Solarbeam.

As for old stuffs... more old 911s and perhaps Alfa 105 coupes.

• Like 1

So many appealing suggestions here, although perhaps not as much rationalisation as in the UK thread.

The Lancia Fulvia coupé seems like a very good shout; very pretty, rally heritage, fairly well-known.

I'd like a Fulvia Zagato as it's the only Fulvia (and the only Lancia) I've driven, but it is absolutely lovely (check out Harry's Garage on Youtube for some Fulvia Zagato action), but the ordinary Fulvia coupé is probably a better commercial proposition.

The Lancia Aurellia is probably iconic enough that it might well be worth producing; I'd rather have the Aurellia's replacement Flaminia but I think that's a bit too niche.

I'm definitely more of a GT person than a sports car person, so I'd love someone to do a Ferrari 2+2; ideally a 250 GTE to sit next to the Maserati 3500GT and the Aston Martin DB4 (when I find one).  The Ferrari name might have enough clout to make the idea viable but for the question of licensing costs.

Keeping with the Italian theme, how about an Alfa Romeo Giulia saloon?  You could do road, race and police versions.  People would buy them to do Italian Job dioramas.

I'd also buy a FIAT 124 saloon if someone did one as a kit and (as observed) you could spin out endless Lada, SEAT and goodness knows what other versions.  The 124's successor, the 131 might be better as it was a better known rally car (it's available in the Forza racing game series, so has recognition from that).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

(check out Harry's Garage on Youtube for some Fulvia Zagato action)

I left a comment on one of his videos that if I could choose just one of his cars to take home it would be that lovely little Lancia!!

Looking forward to seeing Harry's promised series of restoration and rally preparation vids of the car.

Keith

• Like 1

I think the FIAT 131 is due from Tamiya before too long (a reissue).

A Fulvia coupe would be wonderful, personally i think the zagato version is a bloater compared to the coupe - a friend's mum had a 1.3 coupe back in the day, silver with red interior.  

1 hour ago, malpaso said:

I think the FIAT 131 is due from Tamiya before too long (a reissue).  

The Tamiya one is 1:20th I think which is a bit of an anomaly for a road/rally car. Italeri has rereleased the old Esci kit in 1:24th recently.

Another one for the Skoda S105/120/130 and 130LR

Would suggest that the rear suspension is done on a separate sprue though - That way you could cover the swing axles of the basic 105/120, the semi-trailing back end of the 130 and the fully fabricated trailing arm set up of the 130LR.

Until then I'll carry on with restoring my 1:1 scale 130L

IanJ

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, roymattblack said:

Facel Vega would keep me happy - in a BIG scale...

I'd definitely want a Facel Vega HK500, but in 1/24.  I've got a very nice Sun Star 1/18 diecast model and that's about as big as is practical for me, but in a smaller scale it would sit nicely in my collection of 1960s GT machinery.

I think the FV might be a good shout for a kit manufacturer; handsome enough to appeal to people who haven't heard of it before and a reasonable number of people who have.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chrisrope said:

Saab, any Saab ;)

Least niche would be a 900 T16S or 99 turbo ( 2 door please)

Decent rally record for the 99 EMS and turbo to be considered surely 

I'd have thought one of the two-stroke or V4 SAABs, again classic rally machines, but a 99 Turbo with Aztec wheels would surely be a nice thing to build.

• Like 1