Cleopatra III +++COMPLETED+++

Hi folks here is my first entry in to the GB - Kittyhawk IV RAAF flown by Squadron Leader Geoffrey Atherton. It  is the old AMT kit of the P-40N Warhawk but i have markings from an Italieri boxing that allows me to build this version. 

I have a set of AM resin wheels and an etch set for the Hasegawa kit that may or may not fit, we shall see...

Anyway here are some images of the kit etc theres no box art as i bought it off a BM member in the sales area without a box.

TFL Cheers Greg

50841118001_efeb4cd154_z.jpg

50840396618_c5a7204af2_z.jpg

50841118066_502dafcf32_z.jpg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
Titles
  • Like 5

Hi Greg. Hope you are keeping well. Always thought there was some impressive about the Warhawk. Looking forward to following your project. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

So we're off......

My additional AM stuff is not going to get used on this build as i found (on closer inspection) that the wheels are for an M model and that the cockpiy in the ERTL kit is possibly not correctly configured for an N so the the etch won't get used. General details in the kit are ok but not up to Eduard or modern Airfix standards. 

Still it builds up well and i have made a start building the cockpit and preparing the fuselage by cutting out the rear window section to allow the larger canopy that is typical in the N version.

Thanks for looking here are some pics...

50870557806_6a4e7bd159_z.jpg

50869850293_eabcb34b5b_z.jpg

50870657057_bb9689a06a_z.jpg

50870656927_81bf429782_z.jpg

• Like 2

Hello again,

Here are my laterst progress pic's. This kit is very easy to build and is going together with no problems. Detail for the age of the kit is adequate and having built one before i am confident it looks good in outline once completed.

Mind the gap where The wings join The fuselage. This is replicated on the other side too but was easily filled and sanded as can seen in the last photo. The exhaust stubs that come with The kit are very soft detail wise and I swapped them with a spare set I had lying about. 

The pic's  speak for themselves so i will post them up without further ado. I am enjoying this one very much, and expect to have it all but finished by this time next week.

TFL 

Greg

50894279506_f49e050e0e_z.jpg

50893566303_a2be4b98dc_z.jpg

50893566263_a5bec04a84_z.jpg

50894279356_cc42282155_z.jpg

50894397397_9b955abecd_z.jpg

50894279266_218a8e0a3e_z.jpg

• Like 3

And, I'm done.....

Thanks to Dennis for hosting the GB and setting it all up, and to anyone who looked in or commented on the build.

The man behind the machine should also be remembered. In this case the pilot was Geoffrey C Atherton, who at the time of piloting the aircraft in question was a Squadron Leader. He ended the war as Wing Commander with a DFC  and bar with 5 kills making him an Ace on the Kittyhawk.

Heres a couple of pics, more in the gallery shortly

Cheers Greg

50918428133_7b03238108_z.jpg

50918428043_d7a1e1cf0f_z.jpg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
Text
  • Like 6

• GREG DESTEC changed the title to Cleopatra III +++COMPLETED+++
  • 3 months later...

Greg, or Anon for that matter...?

Am about to start a Minicraft P-40N in 1/72nd of the Cleopatra III.

Haven't built a plane model since Jesus was in short pants but...

So going with a Khaki Green, Neutral gray scheme, but can't figure out whether to get a gloss or flat white in acrylic?

Will be brushed on at this point, air brush later....

Can you Greg, or someone provide some guidance on a white paint choice?

Cheers,

Jeff

7 hours ago, Polymath said:

Greg, or Anon for that matter...?

Am about to start a Minicraft P-40N in 1/72nd of the Cleopatra III.

Haven't built a plane model since Jesus was in short pants but...

So going with a Khaki Green, Neutral gray scheme, but can't figure out whether to get a gloss or flat white in acrylic?

Will be brushed on at this point, air brush later....

Can you Greg, or someone provide some guidance on a white paint choice?

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I used humbrol acrylic Matt white for my build, which was brushed on. Took quite a few costs mind, so thin the paint down, and let it dry thoroughly between coats.

Hope that helps!

Cheers Greg 👍

21 hours ago, Polymath said:

Thanks Greg.

I'm assuming Matt and flat white are basically the same?

Cheers,

Jeff

As Dennis says, yes indeed. If you prefer painting gloss white that's cool too, but in wartime I think I am correct in saying most finished were flat or Matt in appreance. 

Good luck with your build. Are you going to do a work in progress here?

Cheers Greg

• 3 months later...

Greg,

I am brand new to this web site and am an avid kit builder. I have an ERTL P40 kit that was un boxed and is complete except for the instructions. I wish to build it and I see that yours is an AMT/ERTL kit.

Do you still have the instructions?  Would you mind scanning them and emailing them to me?  My 

email is [email protected].  I am in the USA.

Thanks,

Ray Colbert

Pittsburgh PA USA

412-443-5142

4 hours ago, 57spyder said:

Greg,

I am brand new to this web site and am an avid kit builder. I have an ERTL P40 kit that was un boxed and is complete except for the instructions. I wish to build it and I see that yours is an AMT/ERTL kit.

Do you still have the instructions?  Would you mind scanning them and emailing them to me?  My 

email is [email protected].  I am in the USA.

Thanks,

Ray Colbert

Pittsburgh PA USA

412-443-5142

Hello Ray Ive also built the kit before I can find a copy and photo all the pages. However here is the scalemates pages Instructions. 

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/4/5/4/192454-48-instructions.pdf

Hope those help if not I can photograph and send you copies of my sheet.