1:350 HMAS Collins Submarine - Quick Build !!

JJ2016

1:350 HMAS Collins Submarine - Quick Build !!

Gday BM Family,

This one just came in the mail and I wanted to smash it out before I returned to work on Monday so I could display it in my office. It only took 8 hours thanks to the simple one sprue and the wonders of quick drying acrylic paint !!

I've been a part of the Collins sustainment enterprise for around 14 years now (as a civvie) - surpassing my service in the RAN on skimmers.... Started out maintaining Combat System, EW and Comms and for the past 6 or so years I've been managing the In Service Support of the Weapon System maintenance (the 6 holes at the bow 🤔).

This kit was quite accurate except for maybe the Radar and some newer platform modifications, it also included decals that marked the first launch with the ship builder ASC's flag and bow marlings, special markings for gold star vessel Sheean, a fleet proficiency award she received some years back. There's so much you could do with these kits - band new launch, in service, also marine growth, all 6.... but I decided I would depict it as HMAS Collins straight out of an Intermediate Docking..... one of the maintenance cycles we carry out here in Western Australia.....

Submarine shipbuilding.... whats all the fuss ??

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

JJ

• Like 1

Very nice looking quick build there JJ. I know nothing of the class, so I need to ask, what are those rectangular patches you've masked off?

Submarines by design are rather boring things, so to make them less so, what I would suggest with these black/dark grey tubes is to paint them a satin finish, matt the non-skid areas and gloss areas like the sonar arrays, works for me.

Stuart

10 hours ago, Courageous said:

Very nice looking quick build there JJ.

Cheers Stuart, the rectangle windows are distributive array Sonar transducers, there are 3 on each side, used to detect range and bearing of a contact through triangulation... 

I was trying to get a bit of colour variation as they’re a slight green on black in real life.

Cheers

JJ

• Like 1