Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Vb RAAF 452 SQN

G'Day All,

Another RAAF themed build.
An old Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Vb.  
Painted the cockpit with a black base, White Marbling and Gunze H56 Interior Green.

Used thin plastic strips to fill the gaps in the wing/fuselage joins.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

I think its in their classic range now ...  I'm looking forward to the new Mk Vc tooling.  I have an old Vc that is basically a Vb with extra wings for the Vc.

Wings are beautiful tooling with recessed panel lines, yet the old Vb parts are slightly raised panel lines ... 

The old Mk. Vc had a pretty awful wing: far too thick because it was based on a misunderstanding of an error with the Mk.Vb at the wing root.   (The Mk.Vb wing has a funny little kink up near the root to match with the fuselage.)  The new Mk.Vc is far superior to both.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

G'Day All,

Slowed up a bit with production.  

Finally put down some paint.  Paint Scheme is British European Ocean Grey/Dark Green over Medium Sea Grey.  Ended up using Gunze H335 Ocean Grey, H309 Dark Green and H306 Medium Sea Grey.
Painted the undersides and free hand painted the camou scheme on top

Spinner and fuselage band are painted Gunze H31 White Green.

LKPG4cy.jpg

Started sealing the finished paint work with Humbrol Gloss varnish, however it started reacting the the underlying paint (same problem when using Humbrol Satin and Matte varnish as well).  Ended up with cracks over the wings.  I don't know what i'm doing wrong - this has happened on several other models and even over Humbrol Enamels.  Instead of stripping and redoing the paint, I decided to go back to the good ol' trusted Gunze and Tamiya clear coats.  I found that it covered the cracks, had to do some minor paint touch ups due to the cracking going through to the primer coat.

Decals are DKDecals.  These are beautifully printed decals.  They laid down nicely and had no problems with being coated with Mr Mark Softner.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

G'Day All,

This one has slowed up a bit.

Applied a Payne's Grey wash and then oil dot filter of white, buff and blue. I think too much blue and Payne's grey has been applied. Seems to have darkened too much compared to earlier pics.

Applied Humbrol 56 with a sponge for replicating chipping.

Starship Filth Oil brusher was applied to the undersides to create some oil stains and streaking.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png