IJN Kawanishi Shidenkai [George] **Finished**

TommyF

This is my entry for the Interceptors Group Build. Hasegawa's 1/72 Kawanishi N1K2-J Shidenkai 'George'. It entered service in 1944 and was one of the few Japanese Navy aircraft that could offer a pilot a chance against the Hellcat and Corsair. The kit has two decal options both from the elite naval unit the 343rd Naval Kokutai.

50840175933_092f51362f_c.jpg

• Like 8

• TommyF changed the title to IJN Kawanishi Shidenkai [George]

Rather liking the contrast between recent builds. The last was the MTO GB Eduard 1/72 Spitfire IX with incredible detail, PE parts, masks and multiple options. The Hasegawa N1K2-J in contrast has relatively low detail and options, no PE, no masks and only 33 parts but I'm still really enjoying the process.

The painting instructions call for IJN Gray for the underside. A quick search through Shidenkai builds on Britmodeller suggests every other has aluminium which would look amazing. I'm also interested in the physical difference between the Shidenkai and the Spitfire. The latter is whippet slim, iconic and pretty much instantly recognisable. Whereas the Shidenkai is stubby, unknown and unfamiliar (to me). I'm guessing other modellers find this, that as you build the model, the feel and shape of the model starts to become imprinted on the mind. You find beauty in the lines, the shapes, the small details.

It's a Kawanishi scrapyard at the moment but it's starting to come together...

50859469328_0afb852b10_c.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Tommy,

I have built this several times and it makes up into a nice kit. According to one of my sources, carrier based aircraft were almost invariably painted light grey underneath, but land based ones were often left in natural metal, particularly towards the end of the war when paint was probably in short supply, so a natural metal finish under your Shiden-Kai is quite possible. However, it would perhaps be a good idea to check any photos you can find. Unfortunately, the difference between light grey and NMF may not be too obvious on B&W pics so entirely up to you in the end.

Cheers

Pete

This one looks to be coming together nicely and it sounds as if you're enjoying the process. Your comments also ring familiar with regard to the process of constructing a kit bringing a heightened appreciation for the subject's form and nuances; a great opportunity to learn more about the subject through the research process as well.

Hi Tommy,

As you probably know the Shiden Kai is derived from the N1K Kyofu floatplane, and the original landplane version, the N1K1-J Shiden retained the mid wing layout of the original, but that resulted in long undercarriage legs which  had to contract during retraction. It was a source of considerable problems, as was the engine, and in the end it was redesigned with a low wing to become the N1K2-J Shiden Kai. About 20 years ago I managed to pick up a Shiden kit by MPM, though I see that both Hasegawa and Aoshima have released one too.

planes 009

Here it is alongside my Hasegawa Raiden in a pic I took a few years back after I built it - pity I did not pair it up with the Shiden-Kai to show the differences. Besides lowering the wing, the fuselage and tail surfaces were desinged, and 4 cannon were all mounter in the wing - on the Shiden 2 were in the wing and then a further 2 were added later in gondolas under the wing. When I made it I used White Ensign Colourcoats and they had a number of different JNAF greens in their range - Mitsubishi, Kawanishi, Nakajima and a basic Black-Green I think, but when Jamie at Sovereign Hobbies took over the range, his research seems to have suggested that the colour variations were not accurate so he had just the one JNAF Green last time I looked.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • TommyF changed the title to IJN Kawanishi Shidenkai [George] **Finished**

Finished 🙂 and the sun 🌤️ came out for photos (although the light has shown up some canopy gaps). Really enjoyed this build and I need to make some more Japanese aircraft. One beginner mistake confession - masked the wings for yellow leading stripe over the decals - which obviously came off when the tape was removed - whoopsy. Red paint required! Gallery updated.

50962138412_2c51de3f26_c.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...