1/32 Wingnut Wings Sopwith Pup

Dear all,

My first build of the New Year and first one completed in lockdown - so I had time (for all the wrong reasons!) to devote to this one ............

This is WNW's last version (2nd release) of their Sopwith Pup fitted with the Gnome rotary engine.   Great kit as always from WNW although if you have this kit, make sure you fit the cockpit structure precisely (and I mean precisely) into the fuselage halves before closing up.  If you don't, it will throw  fit out on lower wing, top deck and fuselage so important to take your time here.  Having got this in right (after some fettling) the rest of the kit went together with no problems.

Built OOB and brush painted as always.  Rigged using combination of Pryme knitting elastic (great to work with and simulates the flat RAF wires lovely); Oschi standard thread for cockpit rigging and control cables and 3lb fishing line for the undercarriage as this is a bit weak and wobbles badly without this reinforcement here.

Sadly, this is the last WNW kit I have so no more after this one unfortunately ..................

Markings chosen are for 'Bobs' of A M Shook, B Flight 4(N) sqn RNAS April - May 1917.

2zwjQ9A.jpg

roIraZU.jpg

gE0z4BS.jpg

Dgu8dll.jpg

U5b6r85.jpg

nqgPApb.jpg

aq9phgI.jpg

losuwka.jpg

skgpdki.jpg

pFjTQyc.jpg

lQO1Xvh.jpg

edjJGfs.jpg

9TV1Ln5.jpg

Regards

Dave

• Like 38

Wow Dave that one is a winner for sure. The paintwork and weathering are super - another demonstration (if one were needed) that a hairy stick is every bit as good as an airbrush.

I am really looking forward to seeing this at some time in the future - and not just on a competition table either!

P

• Thanks 1

A lovely Pup Dave, great brush work and weathering too.  I do like a bit of rigging and that Prym thread is fantastic stuff.  It's  a shame re the WNW are no more but, I am sure they will appear under another manufacturer.  I have one WNW kit in the stash and will start it this year hopefully.   

Congratulations on a superb model.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Outstanding work as always Dave, I'm amazed at how good a finish you get with a paint brush. The weathering is just right as well, all in all a real beauty, what a shame that WnW are no more. I expect you can work your magic on Roden kits though, and the Copper State Nieuports are superb, promise yourself one this year - I'd be interested to see what you think of it. And there is always the Meng Fokker Dr.1.

Cheers

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Viking said:

Outstanding work as always Dave, I'm amazed at how good a finish you get with a paint brush. The weathering is just right as well, all in all a real beauty, what a shame that WnW are no more. I expect you can work your magic on Roden kits though, and the Copper State Nieuports are superb, promise yourself one this year - I'd be interested to see what you think of it. And there is always the Meng Fokker Dr.1.

Cheers

John

Thank you kindly, gents -

John - Yes, I don't mind a Roden kit as it happens - let's hope they start getting back into making more WW1 aircraft types in due course.  I have also been looking at the CSM range of Nieuport scouts and I am tempted by N23 RFC markings version.  Regarding the Meng Dr1 I've got to be honest and say it does not rock my boat at present but may re-look at later on.   Going to have a very short break from WW1 and biplanes as I have a kit given to me by a friend of a 1940's 1/48 French seaplane by Special Hobby so will give that a go.

Regards

Dave