U.S. dumb bomb colours

Sierra Mike Sierra

The third yellow band indicates an insensitive filler.

You wouldn't think the thermal coating would be applied to inert bombs but many Navy bombs have it. Maybe they just pull a certain number of bombs off the regular production line to use as inerts?

Not to go off topic but my understanding is the first thermal coating was a rubber like substance applied internally to the bomb, then the explosive mixture was poured in. Then later they went with the external coating, which probably made it easier to apply. Here is an example of a Vietnam era thermally protected bomb:

spacer.png

as you can see the body is mainly smooth.

Jari

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Finn said:

Although they still had plenty of OD bomb bodies in stock, some grey tails began showing up in time for Desert Storm:

That's my favourite image about this topic. You see a mix of colours on the bodies, tails, and even the fins of the guidance section don't match. :D That much for "navy uses grey and air force green, it's in the rules!"

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:GBU-12?uselang=de#/media/File:US_Navy_040709-N-4374S-021_Aviation_Ordnancemen_assigned_to_the_Sunliners_of_Strike_Fighter_Squadron_Eight_One_(VFA-81)_transport_guided_bomb_units_(GBU-12)_to_an_F-A-18C_Hornet_for_an_on_load_aboard_USS_John_F._Kennedy_(CV_67).jpg

Alex

Great reference picture Alex, I'm going to go for a mix of od/grey and all over od in varying shades. Maybe some ablative coated mk83/84 on another load too.

Edited by darthspud
typo

On 7/27/2021 at 3:18 AM, Finn said:

Not to go off topic but my understanding is the first thermal coating was a rubber like substance applied internally to the bomb, then the explosive mixture was poured in. Then later they went with the external coating, which probably made it easier to apply. Here is an example of a Vietnam era thermally protected bomb:

spacer.png

as you can see the body is mainly smooth.

Jari

You know it's the 70's, dig the side burns  on the ordie!

cheers,

Pappy

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Pappy said:

You know it's the 70's, dig the side burns  on the ordie!

cheers,

Pappy

Good thing he was a swabbie.  The Air Force did not allow "Mutton Chop" sideburns.  Can you say letter of counseling for sideburns being out of reg?  Sure you can!

Later,

Dave

On 7/26/2021 at 10:39 AM, alex said:

That's my favourite image about this topic. You see a mix of colours on the bodies, tails, and even the fins of the guidance section don't match. :D That much for "navy uses grey and air force green, it's in the rules!"

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:GBU-12?uselang=de#/media/File:US_Navy_040709-N-4374S-021_Aviation_Ordnancemen_assigned_to_the_Sunliners_of_Strike_Fighter_Squadron_Eight_One_(VFA-81)_transport_guided_bomb_units_(GBU-12)_to_an_F-A-18C_Hornet_for_an_on_load_aboard_USS_John_F._Kennedy_(CV_67).jpg

Alex

The wing assembly, guidance fins, and forward adapter all come packaged in the same container and so would be the same color. The Computer Control Group (CCG) is packaged separately as is the bomb body, so the color is the luck of the draw (or issue).