Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4WS Fujimi 1:24. A model of my old car

This has been complete for a while, but I wanted to take some decent photos and decided to build a backdrop for future photographs as well (appropriately enough the Fujimi 1:24 garage).

y4mBlinhXw-rBmlWbpy0yqKvvjUlbyLya7cUNoAe

y4maEpqMcbthxsz4XtsKFra0QW6GDDHQ2lI6vMoW

y4mEd3xGurLNA4_WB80YrTd0q8d_VxANeTuEDdcu

y4m1whXvSpYeKgBTlAml31v8Hl36xxmSZJuxhRBk

y4mPBaKkNUIeDOowCDL28e9VM5ykU33ppGIiMObm

As a kit it's OK, it's pretty basic, there is no engine and the underside is a complete work of fiction.  It's a bit of a gimmick that you can steer the front and rear wheels to simulate the four-wheel steering of the real car, I'd trade that for some accurately modelled suspension, especially as I'm not sure the wheels sit quite right relative to the arches.  There were a few little issues with the interior (seats needed backs fabricating and the dashboard isn't a great fit).  Also I should have attached the front bumper to the body before painting.

I've got two more of these kits in the stash to replicate the other two Preludes I owned, so expect more in this thread at some point in the future.

WIP thread here if anyone is interested:

Edited by johnlambert
Add WIP link
  • Like 13

1 minute ago, Graeme H said:

Lovely job, and a great car in real life, bet you wish your own garage was that clean though

I wish I had a full-size garage, full stop! :)

• Haha 1

One of the things I'm finding while searching Rightmove - an amazing number of otherwise nice houses with no garage or even much off-street parking :(

Good to see this kit make the RFI section - I have to admit I'd not realised you hadn't posted it up. It might be simple, but simple and looking good like this is better than a complicated kit which won't assemble, or is plagued with BL-standard gaps between the parts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2021 at 9:04 PM, johnlambert said:

and the underside is a complete work of fiction.  

Great result from what is a shockingly poor kit.  The underside is very similar to one Fujimi recycled across several kits, amongst others the Mitsubishi Starion and the Silvia S12.  RWD style for FWD cars, with no inner wheel arches.

I do wonder how easy it is to marry up the Fujimi body onto the Tamiya Prelude chassis and engine. They are very similar albeit different generations of Prelude. The more modern body of the Fujimi looks better as a car.

I had a 5th Gen in real life once. Great car. Shame there's no kit of one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, galaxyg said:

Great result from what is a shockingly poor kit.  The underside is very similar to one Fujimi recycled across several kits, amongst others the Mitsubishi Starion and the Silvia S12.  RWD style for FWD cars, with no inner wheel arches.

I do wonder how easy it is to marry up the Fujimi body onto the Tamiya Prelude chassis and engine. They are very similar albeit different generations of Prelude. The more modern body of the Fujimi looks better as a car.

I had a 5th Gen in real life once. Great car. Shame there's no kit of one.

Thanks, I've built the Tamiya kit, which has its own issues.  Well, one issue, the front bumper was designed by someone who didn't speak to the team that did the rest of the kit.

You might need to do some cutting and stretching as I think the wheelbase is longer on the 3rd generation Prelude, more cleverness would be required to get the wheels to fit and there's no representation of the 4WS mechanism.  But it would still be a more authentically Honda underside and you might not be embarrassed to display the model on a glass shelf, where people might see underneath.

I also had a 5th Gen Prelude, which was lovely and is high on my personal wish list of kits I'd like to see,  The only min version I've found is a recent Hotwheels toy that is available in silver (like mine) or dark metallic blue.

15 hours ago, Anteater said:

Nice to see a kit with a sunroof, and your detail painting looks sharp. 

Thanks, One of the nice things about the Prelude as a car to drive was the generous glass area, and as a model the big windows and sunroof really help to show off the interior.  I'm very pleased with how the window rubbers have come out as well, it took a lot of effort to mask everything up, but it was worth it.