F-15C Eagle ****FINISHED***

PeterB

Oh, what the heck. I have had this 1987 boxing in my stash since the 1990's and if I don't get it built before long the decs will be well past their shelf life - if they are not already!

DSC04465

If I have time I will try and get it built - it will be the third F-15 I have built with one more - an F-15E of the same vintage - left in my stash. The first one was either Revell or Monogram from about 1974, not long after it entered service and I remember it was painted rather badly in my take on the initial "Air Superiority Blue"scheme, but before long it was replaced with what I thought was a more accurate version from Hasegawa which probably had the production modifications incorporated as it dated from around 1976. and was in the later "Compass (Ghost) scheme".

Ok, I know it is perhaps not strictly an "Interceptor" if you define that as a plane designed to prevent hostile bombers and maybe recce planes getting close enough to your land and sea assets to be a danger. It is a so called "Air Superiority Fighter" which I define as a plane intended to clear and then hold a box of the sky, perhaps enabling your own strike and recce assets to pass through without interference from your enemy, though if that box of sky is over your bases then there is something of an overlap with the "Interceptors", as with the Israeli Eagles shooting down hostile Mig-25 Recce planes. However, unlike a pure interceptor, whilst it can still shoot down hostile bombers it is armed and also agile enough to take on fighters. It was first thought of about the same time as the last of the Century Series aircraft were coming into service at the end of the 1950's, and by that time there was a fairly strong argument for a multi - role aircraft, so it took quite some time for the group supporting a "pure" Air Defence Fighter to carry the day. In the end they did win, though of course the other side also won in a way as a dedicated fighter-bomber version was also produced in the form of the Strike Eagle, but more on the development later.

The "Eagle eyed" amongst you may have noticed that there are 3 "vertical" tails on the sprues - I guess that is due to Hasegawsa producing several versions of the F-15 - A,B,C,D and E not to mention export versions.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 6

Another good subject choice Pete. This one will make for an effective example of how military thinking changed from the 'Century' series of interceptors to the 'teen' fighters and all equally in this GB. Hopefully those decals work for you.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Col. said:

Hopefully those decals work for you.

Thanks Col,

If not I will have a bit of a problem - I have a Microscale sheet but that was for my original Hasegawa kit which was an F-15A, and whilst they will give me some of the stencils etc, and I have national insignia, I may end up having to buy a sheet that will probably cost me more than the ruddy kit did back 25 years ago! Fingers crossed - the decs look OK except for a bit of yellowing which the usual window treatment might fix. If not I may have to improvise!

Cheers

Pete

Certainly is Stu - do you want anything from it? It is probably between 30 and 40 years old but has been kept in the dark in a dry, cool place, so they usually work.

Pete

• Like 1

Four days since I posted and on page 3 already! I have done the cockpit which is pretty simple.

DSC04476-crop

You just get a tub which sits on top of the nose bay, an IP, a seat and a little joystick which glues to the front of the seat which is apparently wrong. There is a dec for the IP but my Microscale seat has decs for the side consoles as well so I used them - at least it proves that sheet is still viable! Hasegawa say paint the bay behind the cockpit in the same Mr Colour metallic blue/green used on Japanese WWII planes so I have. However I suspect it should be a blue gray but as it is going to be covered up by the  part that goes under the closed canopy I am not bothered. The instructions call for 3g weight in the nose cone but I have substituted 4g in front of the tub - I have sometimes found that heavy cones don't glue on too well!

As you can see, Hasegawa have gone for a horizontal split on the fuselage, the same as the Airfix Buccaneer I will be building in the Gulf War GB. I suppose it makes sense as a fair bit of it is covered bu the wing but I will have to ensure that it fits tidily - does not look too bad when I tried a dry fit. This should be a fairly straightforward build OOB but how many times have I said that before and been wrong! The only fiddly part is likely to be painting the 8 missiles and getting the camo masked so I can hopefully airbrush it. Plenty of time left thankfully.

Anyway, here is a brief background to the aircraft.

As I have mentioned several times earlier in this GB, during the 1950's the threat of nuclear armed bombers resulted in many countries producing dedicated interceptor aircraft but by the start of the 1960's the concept of a single purpose aircraft was being replaced by a move towards multi – purpose planes which seemed to make both economic and operational sense - one product of this thinking was the F-4 Phantom II. However their were still some military leaders in the US who thought that there was a need for a dedicated Air Superiority Fighter. The arguments went on for several years, and the situation was complicated by budget restraints which lead to attempts to merge the requirements of both the USAF and the USN into variations of a single design, the TFX, or if you prefer the F-111A and F-111B!

In the end the combination of new advanced Soviet designs such as the Mig-23 and Mig-25 brought matters to a head and and whilst official policy still wanted a multi purpose plane, and could not see the need for a dedicated fighter, three 4 Star Generals in charge of TAC, USAFE and PACAF issued what became known as the “12 star letter” stating that a multi purpose plane would just not be good enough to force a way through the defences – Jack of all trades, master of none I guess. Also combat experience in Vietnam where the F-4 struggled with the older and cheaper Mig-17 and Mig-21 resulted in the USN ordering the F-14 Tomcat. Perhaps worrying that as with the F-4 they would again end up having a Navy aircraft forced on them, the USAF decided that they would build a high performance Air Superiority Fighter of their own, and to cope with the weakness shown in Vietnam it would need superior dogfighting abilities and a gun as well as the usual long and short range missiles. In September of 1968 a request for proposals was issued, and four companies responded. The one from General Dynamics was rejected but Fairchild Republic, McDonnell Douglas and North American Rockwell were asked for detailed proposals, and on December 23rd 1969 McDonnell Douglas were awarded a contract for what would become the F-15 and TF-15 Eagle, later redesignated F-15A and F-15B. First flight was in July 1972 with entry into service in January 1976 after a considerable number of modifications were made which I won't bore you with.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Missed your reply somehow, the air superiority blue option was I was after but just seen it’s actually a two seater :( 

Hi Stu,

Yes, that particular one is a TF-15 aka F-15B but I would imagine the same Squadron had normal single seaters and the dec sheet does provide quite a few alternative numbers for the tail. All codes etc on that blue scheme are white and I won't be using them.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Getting there slowly.

DSC04484-crop

The fit is not brilliant but then it is an old mould, and I gather that they changed the upper half of the fuselage when they released the F-15C, which probably does not help. The wings were a poor fit but a bit of filler should mostly solve that - still got a bit more work to do and then it should be ready for a quick blast of primer to check the joints. Unfortunately, it is far too cold out at the moment but Monday looks like it could be warmer. At least it looks like an Eagle now.

To conclude the background story, powered by 2 F-110-PW-100 turbofans each with an output of 16200lb dry and 25000lb with afterburner, at normal  air intercept weight the F-15A had a thrust to weight ratio of 1.45 according to D&S, and could reach Mach 2.5+. The large, almost delta shaped wings and the twin vertical tails and rudders made it highly manoeuvrable, and it carried a 20mm cannon in the starboard engine wing “LERX” ie leading edge extension, together with a normal loadout of 4 x AIM 7 Sparrow and 4 x AIM 9 Sidewinder AA missiles. It could carry up to 3 x 300 gallon drop tanks and later it could be fitted with conformal fuel tanks – the so called “FAST” packs. It was equipped with a Hughes AN/APG-63 multi-mode pulse doppler radar which had a look down/shoot down capability with a range in excess of 100 miles and capable of picking  up targets which were as low as 20ft-50ft. It also carries comprehensive threat detection and countermeasure equipment internally as well as the option to fit ECM pods under the wings. The F-15A and B entered service in 1976 and in 1979 they were followed by the upgraded F-15C and D.

Besides the angled wingtips and the reinforcing strake on the dorsal air brake which were also fitted to late model F-15A, the only obvious external change seems to be larger and stronger wheels, but there are several internal changes including a higher fuel capacity and an increase of 12000lb in gross take-off weight, and later models have an Aces II ejector seat instead of the Escapac one originally fitted. The afterburner cans have also been modified after problems with the original “turkey feathers”, though most kit manufacturers including Hasegawa missed that on the earlier kits – I presume more modern offerings have corrected that? There are of course numerous changes to the instruments and electronics packages, and from 1983 onwards the conformal fuel packs I mentioned earlier became available following the so called “Multi Stage Improvement Program”. It is also possible to fit bomb racks though I gather the option was seldom if ever used by the USAF as of course the main strike version is the F-15E which was developed privately by Hughes and McDonell Douglas and entered service in 1988. Later modifications included upgraded engines with electronic controls which improved fuel efficiency and engine response, and also the ability to fire the AIM-129 AAMRAM.

Production and development still continues with, amongst other things, an attempt to apply stealth technology in the F-15 2040C follow up to the "Silent Eagle" version of the F-15E, and numerous variants have been exported such as the F-15J and two seat DJ for Japan. The Israeli Air Force has made several noteable kills with their F-15's, including a number of Mig-25. Budget cuts mean that the F-22 Raptor has not replaced the Eagle and it remains to be seen what effect the F-35 Lightning II has - the F-15 looks likely to serve for quite a few more years yet.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 6

17 hours ago, PeterB said:

the F-15 looks likely to serve for quite a few more years yet.

Pete, many years as USAF have now ordered first of up to 144 F-15EX to replace older Cs.  They’ll be built as two seater but operated solo. Guess we could see them in Have Glass. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2021 at 8:52 PM, PeterB said:

F-15 looks likely to serve for quite a few more years yet

I think its the most successful fighter of modern times, certainly in terms of its kill ratio.

I have a few of these in the stash, not quite as old as yours Pete, but they've been there for a while. I'd love to throw my hat in the ring and join you, but, having enjoyed the Heller GB, I have a rather large Spitfire to finish (left over from the BoB GB!)

So I'll just enjoy following your build :popcorn:!

Cheers,

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Andwil said:

What’s the thinking behind that?

AW

Perhaps they've lost the single seat canopy mold to the carpet monster?

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Col. said:

Perhaps they've lost the single seat canopy mold to the carpet monster?

I think its cheaper to build as the current Korean / Quatari (?) E models.  I may be remembering this is current affairs stuff wrong.

Chris

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

I think its cheaper to build as the current Korean / Quatari (?) E models.  I may be remembering this is current affairs stuff wrong.

Chris

That makes sense Chris.

The first thin coat of primer showed up a few minor problems which I fixed and re-primed, and I have now got a first thin coat of Light Compass Gray on. It will need at least one more, possibly two.

DSC04498-crop

A word of warning to anybody thinking of buying one of these second hand - beware the afterburner cans! As I mentioned in my background story they originally had the so called "turkey feathers" but after problems they were removed and the stripped cans had visible actuating rods on the outside. This particular boxing was released in 1985 according to Scalemates but the box itself says copyright Hasegawa 1987! It still has the original cans and I am not going to pay around £12 plus postage for resin AM replacements. However, when Hasegawa released the F-15E Strike Eagle in around 1988 they re-worked the cans and my boxing from that year has the new ones. According to Scalemates they re-released the F-15C several times after mine, the one in 1988 they say had new parts so I suspect that is replacement cans, and there is even one in the 1990's that has a pre-painted canopy, which may get round having to paint the copper coloured sealing strip, but then you have to match the gray I guess. The moral seems to be go for one after 1988, and preferably even later - if in doubt look at the box illustrations on Scalemates to confirm what year they are!

Incidentally the gray is a bit lighter in natural light, unlike above.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

Looks good.

Was on Scalemates last night looking at the timeline for Hasegawa's 72nd scale Eagle kit. Wow! There's been a lot of different boxings and some are now scary money for such an old kit even it its latest retooling.

• Like 2

Hi Col,

Yes Hasegawa do seem to like the F-15 - not quite sure what the issues with the cartoon young ladies are all about though - wonder if it is a bit like the curious Japanese cartoon version of the TSR-2 Airfix released? As to prices, it seems Brexit may make buying from abroad significantly more expensive now.

As to my build, I painted my original F-15A in Xtracolour enamels around 30+ years ago and it seems to me that the Xtracrylic I have used may be just a little lighter and bluer, but that could just be my memory going - must try and find where I put the old kit and check, though it will have "weathered" and suffered from many years of pipe smoke.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Hi Col and Charlie,

FYI, I notice King Kit are selling exactly the same boxing as mine for £11.99 ex postage and a different version of the F-15E for £14.99 but they only have one of each. One other point about my kit - Hasegawa have added a dec for the IFR receptacle but there is no actual moulding line or anything - still, better than nothing as on the F-15A I had. Funny thing is that according to my info the "door" is natural metal, but the instructions for the 2 versions covered in my my kit show it painted either metallic blue/green or chrome yellow/green cockpit colour - most odd unless they are trying to give the impression it is open! Incidentally the kit review in the 1984 D&S says that the Airfix F-15A/B is probably the most accurate kit at that time and KK have 2 at £14.99.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Those 'Idol Master' boxings and others featuring the anime characters such as adorn the Egg 'Plane kits is due to the popularity of the style in Japan. Sure I've read somewhere it ensures better sales of a kit if even only loosely associated with the genre.

I think the door colours are a feature of it constantly coming into contact with the refuelling probe. While digging around on the subject of JASDF aggressors I noticed the blue/green metallic is common on those so perhaps Hasegawa simply extrapolated from a known value and applied it across all their Eagles regardless of authenticity :shrug:

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2021 at 10:08 PM, PeterB said:

Hasegawa say paint the bay behind the cockpit in the same Mr Colour metallic blue/green used on Japanese WWII planes so I have. However I suspect it should be a blue gray but as it is going to be covered up by the  part that goes under the closed canopy I am not bothered.

17 hours ago, PeterB said:

Funny thing is that according to my info the "door" is natural metal, but the instructions for the 2 versions covered in my my kit show it painted either metallic blue/green or chrome yellow/green cockpit colour

Hi Pete,

I looked into the color (deliberate US spelling, it is an American plane after all) of the electronics bay a few years back. I know that you're not going to have the bay door open, but the paint may be the same for the IFR door? Hannants even do the right color! Which looks a pretty good match to yours. The color apparently changed from the blue/green metallic to white in 1979/80;

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235009081-f-15c-bay-5-colour-avionics-bay/

and

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2151-f-15c-cockpit-interior/

This is probably useless information for you!

Cheers,

• Like 1

Thanks Charlie,

The one date I have not been able to find is when they started stripping off the turkey feathers from the afterburner cans. I will be modelling this as a fairly early production one, probably fiscal year 1978, and at a service date around 1980 I guess, but it would be nice to know if the original cans would still be in use at that point!

Pete

Can't help you there Pete. I thought that they moved the actuating rods (turkey feathers?) to the outside after they'd had early problems, but I'll need to look more for when I get around to my F-15C. Following your build has renewed my appetite!

• Like 1