Badger's 1/72 Revell M60A1 with Blackdog resin stowage

badger

Evening All

This is the plan for this GB.

20210115_175411

Revell's superb M60A1 with ERA with a Blackdog resin stowage set and white metal US tankers from Elheim figures.

20210115_175416

Built a few of the Revell M60s before including one in a previous GB and it's generally a very nice kit.

Roll on Sunday! (Just need to finish my Panther GB build first!).

More soon

Ben

• Like 9

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice choice Ben, I do like M60's so I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with this one.

Many thanks- its a nice kit with few vices. I've built at least 4 of it in the past, including this one which got destroyed in a house move.

The only bit I don't like is the two piece gun barrel and no-one makes a replacement sadly.

More soon as the Panther is nearly finished.

• Like 2

Some progress made this afternoon.

Whilst waiting for various things to dry on my Panther build I got stuck into the M60.

Previous experience of this reminded me that the joint between the lower hull and upper hull sides leaves a seam which needs filler.

20210117_164419

I did this before attaching the hull top which made it much easier to clean the filler up.

Whilst this was drying I assembled the turret which needed a couple of spots of filler along the seams.

20210117_164404

I am very impressed that I remembered to drill out the multitude of holes to attach the era armour.

More soon

Ben

• Like 3

And this is where I've got to tonight on this.

Gone together quite well, apart from some of the ERA panels whose location points are a bit vague.

Still got a seam to deal with around the small mg turret.

20210117_215150

More soon

Ben

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Nice! Looks to be a big bag of stowage too👍

Cheers Hewy.

It is a fair amount of stowage. Not sure I'll use all of it as it hides the extra armour a bit too much and I really want to highlight this as it will make it different than my other M60s I've built.

The turret basket will definitely be added and I'll then pick and choose from the rest.

More soon

Ben

• Like 3

And done!

20210122_215700

Thats the worst part over :penguin:

More soon

Ben

Just noticed the rearmost wheel looks wonky. It's the angle of the photo - it is definitely  straight and level!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, CliffB said:

It's supposed be fun!  But I know what you mean :winkgrin:

It's looking good.

Thanks Cliff

To be honest the roadwheels were pretty straightforward but now they are out of the way the fun can resume.

More soon

Ben

• Like 1

Lots of progress today.

I've added a lot of the hull details and all the remaining era blocks before starting to add some of the blackdog resin stowage.

The sandbags went on well as did the bits on the sides of the turret and engine deck.

20210123_221011

The bustle rack was a bit of a faff and needed some trimming which lead to a small amount of damage in a couple of places.

I should probably have fitted this before the side era plates as this may have been easier.

In any event I have managed to hide most of the damage with the other stowage and intend to add a few more bits which will hide the remaining rough spots.

20210123_221023

Rather pleased with it so far and have enjoyed todays session.

More soon

Ben

• Like 10

Yep - it is quite stowed up isn't it. Checking photos they did carry a fair bit of stowage but I think Blackdog have potentially overdone it slightly.

Theres a couple of bits I wont be fitting and I'd like to add a couple of drinks boxes to the turret rear once its all painted

• Like 3

Time for some update photos! Barring a small amount of filler cleanup in a couple of places around the turret the construction is now finished.

20210125_221330

Need to wait for it to warm up a little before I can get primer and paint on as currently below zero with snow on the ground here. As I prime with halfords aerosols I need it to be a bit warmer, and my garage where I have my spray booth is also rather cold.

20210125_221341

Weather forecast is showing it warming up a bit later in the week so fingers crossed.

20210125_221347

More soon

Ben

• Like 9

Thanks - it helps I've built a few of them before so am aware of many of the potential pitfalls.

Has a crew of 4 according to Wikipedia 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Thats looking great ben ,well loaded

Thanks Hewy

Hopefully it will warm up a bit this week and I can get some paint on it

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Courageous said:

Me again and another interestting build. I'm sure you get some more 'stuff' on...

Stuart

Cheers Stuart.

I'll try!! There's a couple more bits I want to add but can as they are printed boxes I can only this once it's painted.

Kind Regards

Ben

• Like 1

And we have paint!!

I got fed up with waiting for the weather, so as it was reasonably dry this morning (albeit rather cold), I whacked an electric panel on full in the garage for an hour to warm it up.

This worked well and I was able to give the M60 the first coat of Xtracrylix US Gulf War Armour. As usual this sprayed well, although I've noticed a couple of hairs which I'll sort ready for the second coat in a few days once the paint has fully cured.

20210207_131704

More soon

Ben

• Like 3

It certainly is a nippy day Ben.  Funnily enough I spent an hour this morning, in my den trying to switch on a radiator that has been used in 12 months.  A couple of you tube videos & a hammer later & I'm a plummer / heating engineer.  :)

• Haha 1