Australia selects AH-64E

Slater

I talked to a guy who covered the Aussie purchase of the Tiger as a defense analyst and he said that Tiger never really worked out. I understand the majority of the bugs have been ironed out as of October of last year, but perhaps it was too late and the MoD had lost its patience with the platform.

Edited by Supertom

The Tiger entered service in 2004 and is now only delivering the performance and rates of availability that were promised? Something seriously wrong there. The NH90 isn't much better apparently. 

BM.

• Like 1

My understanding of the Australian Tiger problem was that the Tiger is designed to be part of a larger integrated system and doesn't really work so well when the other elements aren't there.

Rather similar to Sweden and the various iterations of their STRIL defensive network. Those who purchased the Saab Draken needed to buy it with the STRIL specific gear stripped out and replaced with something else to compensate in order to be effective.

On 1/16/2021 at 6:06 AM, Supertom said:

“...the MoD had lost its patience with the platform.”

*Department of Defence, since 1942 :)

Cost per flight hour & low available rate of effort are significant factors. The only aircraft more costly per hour to operate in ADF service is the F-35. Chinook is 1/4-1/3 $ per hour. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, GMK said:

*Department of Defence, since 1942 :)

Cost per flight hour & low available rate of effort are significant factors. The only aircraft more costly per hour to operate in ADF service is the F-35. Chinook is 1/4-1/3 $ per hour. 

Seems suspiciously cheap what is that taking in to acount certainly not the cost of maintenance manhours? I know that we are talking 1000s of pounds/dollar per hour....I remember from around 2014 prior to take on of Merlin by CHF that out of the JHC fleets Chinook was miles more expensive than Puma Lynx Sea king and Merlin so 25 aus cents per hour ....think you might have got a decimal point missing 😀

Edited by junglierating
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, junglierating said:

Seems suspiciously cheap what is that taking in to acount certainly not the cost of maintenance manhours? I know that we are talking 1000s of pounds/dollar per hour....I remember from around 2014 prior to take on of Merlin by CHF that out of the JHC fleets Chinook was miles more expensive than Puma Lynx Sea king and Merlin so 25 aus cents per hour ....think you might have got a decimal point missing 😀

That’ll teach me to use shorthand & avoid specific dollar figures! Chinook is a quarter to a third of the cost of the Tiger to operate per flight hour. From most expensive to least is Tiger, MRH90, the. CH-47F. 

• Haha 1

They are operating it for 20 years until the substitute arrives. That is quite long for something not working!

Probably requirements also changed in the meantime!

Armed recce helicopter vs. a (the!) all out attack helicopter!

Also the US army replace their scout- Kiowas with the Apache!

Wonder how satisfied France is with theirs?! They are/were using them continuously in Afghanistan, Mali, Libya...

By the way, the British Apache also needed replacement after 20 years....! ( they call it upgrade though... )