ICM kits

Don149

There is a comprehensive rundown on the ICM Tiger Moth compared to the old Matchbox/Revell and Silver Wings offerings over on Large Scale Planes. The ICM Tiger is far from perfect. Not knocking ICM as I have their Gladiator and I-153 and have the CR42 on order.

TRF

Bit tiring to see Japanese companies, that have and are giving us many great models, keep getting slapped around. It stems from a lack of understanding in Europe and the US about the Japanese market.

1) In Japan, airplane kits make up a much smaller percentage of kits sold than in Europe. Anime kits and car kits sell many times the amount of aircraft kits and the gap is widening.

2) The Japanese market accounts for 80% or maybe more than 90% of units sold for Japanese manufacturers.

3) Japanese kits sold in Europe and the US receive a huge mark-up from their importers, which is what makes them expensive. I have been to Japan and these kits are very reasonably priced there. Airfix and other European manufacturers are import over there, are as a result command the prices we associate over here with Japanese kits.

So yes, it is sad they don't do many releases and yes, they are expensive over here, but it's not like they are doing things that any normal company wouldn't.

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 2

When I was last in Japan (2017) I made the pilgrimage to Akihabara and did the rounds of Yellow Submarine, etc. I was surprised that the range on offer was significantly less, and the prices nowhere near as competitive, as when I was there in 2012. I'll still go back there, if this rotten virus ever makes it possible to travel to Japan (or anywhere else overseas) again,