ICM kits

Don149

I`ve  just received the CR 42 and Tiger Moth , with this quality , at these prices  I think the " big boys " in the Far East

are having their thunder taken from them .  I wonder what some company , say like Tamiya would have priced them at ? .

More power to your elbow , ICM .

• Like 6

Not sure whether that was a serious question or not (?), but I'm pretty sure that Don149 was simply saying that the ICM 1/32 scale kits of the Tiger Moth and CR.42 are excellent quality, and very reasonably priced.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 1

I agree that the well known Japanese manufacturers could use a bit of a wake up slap. Certainly not so much for quality but definitely for price.

Edited by Crimea River
  • Like 1

Ah, got it!

The Japanese manufacturers Hasegawa and Tamiya are both institutions. They lost therefore any liveliness, keenness and enterprising energy.

This two big companies have a so much different orientation, to anything to compare with.

It is also interesting that almost no Western Europe Company is on the field.

Revell is copying and pasting, but almost no design by Revell company staff itself.

All other players are from China, Korea and Taiwan or Eastern Europe.

The US, are there also some companies?

Bücker Bü 133 Jungmeister and Focke-Wulf Fw 44 Stieglitz still wanted!

Happy modelling

• Like 1

So what was the problem exactly?  

4 minutes ago, dov said:

Ah, got it!

The Japanese manufacturers Hasegawa and Tamiya are both institutions. They lost therefore any liveliness, keenness and enterprising energy.

This two big companies have a so much different orientation, to anything to compare with.

Revell is copying and pasting, but almost no design by Revell company staff itself.

All other players are from China, Korea and Taiwan or Eastern Europe.

Bücker Bü 133 Jungmeister and Focke-Wulf Fw 44 Stieglitz still wanted!

Happy modelling

I understood the OP but not this post?. 

I think dov is agreeing with Crimea River. His opinion is that:

1) The large Japanese kit makers have become very set in their ways

2) Western European manufacturers haven't done much beyond re-issues of other manufacturers' work by Revell

3) He would like to see more reasonably priced new-tool large-scale biplane kits, preferably from Western European manufacturers, but Chinese, Korean, or American kits would be fine too!

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 2

The later ICM offerings in all scales have been superb and with prices that make them very easy to sell/buy. Although 1/32 isn't really my scale but a "Dogfight Double" of the Falco and Gladiator really appeals to me. I might have to get that project underway later in the year.

Duncan B

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

Last time I used them they fell apart on contact with water and that has put me off them ever since which is a shame because they have some very appealing subjects in their catalogue.

It sounds like 1 or 2 coats of Microscale Decal Film would be a good idea. 

Chris.  

Alex , yes I had the same problem with the squadron codes on the Gladiator falling apart . `Had to replace them from the " parts dept ." I`m building

the cockpit of the CR 42 at the moment and can`t make out if the instrument dials are separate or on a common film so I`ll use your tip with Klear  and

see if that simplifies the job , thanks for that ! .

Don .

• Like 2

I'd agree that ICM's recent issues have been superb. The biplanes are lovely, although I did need considerable care with the decals on the Gladiator. Very careful sliding off  with a long hair brush and plenty water. Important to make sure the decal doesn't try to fold over on itself; that can be disaster! 

The Stearman which has just come out is really lovely, though I seem to have got the wrong engine for the specific machine I intend to model,. Perhaps ICM will do as Eduard have done and issue extra sprue kits from time to time 

On 1/16/2021 at 9:47 AM, dov said:

Is Airfix not in Europe anymore? They’ve been consistent in releasing newly tooled kits of their own design for a while. Italeri also has had some spectacular releases. It seems Heller is finally on a firmer financial footing after a long period of uncertainty about their future so it’s too early to tell what their future commitment to new toolings will be.

• Like 1

The ICM Stearman certainly looks like a winner.  It comes in two flavours, the PT-17 and PT-13 so both Continental and Lycoming versions are available.  

On 1/16/2021 at 9:47 AM, dov said:

Not like there used to be. There is Moebius, who focus on sci-fi subjects mainly. Round2 manages the AMT, Lindberg, Hawk and Polar Lights brands; the majority of their kits are rereleases of older kits, though there are new sci-fi and automotive subjects. Finally, Atlantis Models owns a lot of old Monogram, Revell, Aurora and other legacy tooling which they are rereleasing as limited editions, but they aren’t doing anything on the way of new molds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Finally, Atlantis Models owns a lot of old Monogram, Revell, Aurora and other legacy tooling which they are rereleasing as limited editions, but they aren’t doing anything on the way of new molds.

As they have the very obscure née Helicopter for Industry (later Aurora) kits, they may also have the Strombeckers that were also with Aurora long before I was born. I'd like those re-released... and Atlantis seems to be doing quite well judging on their re-release schedule, so Revell may have made a big mistake in selling off most of their legacy tools reportedly at scrap value. Anyway, I guess it won't be long until the CR.42 will be available in a Revell box...

I built the ancient ICM Tu2 and the decals were horrible thick things (the kit was a pig too and currently resides on the shelf of doom) but I've recently finished their Spitfire VII and the decals were fine, lovely and thin and conformed nicely with a bit of care, certainly no worse to use than Techmod or even Hobbyboss/Trumpeter. 

I have built a couple of the more recent ICM kits, these being the Dornier 215B-4 and MiG-25RBT, both in 1/72 and both the later re-tools. I was greatly impressed with both. Detail and finesse were up there with the best of them. If I had one observation, it would be their approach of "why use one part when you could use ten?" Some assemblies are far more complicated than they need to be, though to be fair, the fit has always been surprisingly good.

I was originally going to build their old tool Do 215 for a groupbuild and although well detailed, it looked like it would be a nightmare to build. Someone suggested the new tool and I'll forever be grateful they did. It's hard to believe the same company was responsible, and even more that only ten years separates them .

I haven't got as far as using the decals yet, but forewarned is forearmed, as they say.

I would have no reservations in recommending their newer kits.

2 hours ago, tempestfan said:

I'd like those re-released... and Atlantis seems to be doing quite well judging on their re-release schedule, so Revell may have made a big mistake in selling off most of their legacy tools reportedly at scrap value.

One thing is for sure, the decals in the Atlantis re-releases are much, much better than those in the original boxings.

• 2 weeks later...