P-47D/M - Poles in USAAF 1944 - Tamiya 1/72

Gladych and Lanowski were formally members of the Polish Air Force in Great Britain, they took leave for fly at the invitation of Francis Gabreski in his unit. Gabreski had been friends with them since his practice in Polish fighter squadrons.
Gladych:

I make a mistake using the Techmod decals for serial, the right one is 223600
IMG-9193.jpg
IMG-9194.jpg
IMG-9199.jpg
IMG-9188.jpg
IMG-9189.jpg
Decals a mix from Techmod and Tamiya, resin propeller from Quickboost, resin wheels Pavla - will replace it later with Eduard resin wheels, dashboard from Yahu, seat belts from Eduard.
Lanowski:
IMG-9190.jpg
IMG-9191.jpg
IMG-9192.jpg
Decals from Techmod, resin propeller and tail from Quickboost, resin wheels Eduard, dashboard from Yahu, seat belts from Eduard, sliding canopy Falcon vacu.

Pitot in all models are from Master, gun barrels from injection needles.

Edited by hadzi
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Quite a collection of 61st FS, Jerzy.  Very tidy and precise modelling.

Did you use a vac canopy on the Razorback?  As I recall, the kit canopy doesn't want to fit retracted on 1/72 Tamiya Jugs.

Thank you. No, for Razorback I stay with Tamiyas one, Squadron doesn't fit.

On 15/01/2021 at 20:07, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Very nice indeed with an interesting back story.  Did they survive the war?

Bolesław Michal Gładych survived the war. After the war ended he was able to reunite with his brother, who fought in the Polish resistance and was held in a POW camp in Austria. Since the Russians had liberated the camp the former prisoners came under their custody and the members of the Polish Home Army faced persecution by the Communists. By using his status as an USAAF officer he eventually managed to save his brother from communist deportation. He migrated to the US and also served in the CIA during the cold war. In his later live he focused on teaching Yoga. Mike Gladych passed away in 2011. 

Witold Lanowski, who was the son of a Polish father and a German mother, also survived the war. He attained British citztenship and stayed in the RAF until 1957. During the Kongo crisis in the 1960s he served as a mercenary pilot together with the famous Polish Ace Jan Zumbach in the Katanga Air Force. He died in London in 1993.

This is a very nice pair of Thunderbolts and a great tribute to the Polish pilots of WW2. You did excellent work. 👍   "Pengie" was actually the nickname of Gladych´s wife. He later also flew a black P-47M with the nickname Pengie IV.   

Edited by 112 Squadron
  • Like 4

Excellent work! I'm very much in to P47s! These are a really great finish , more so in the 72nd scale

It's a nice tribute to the two Polish pilots you've chosen to commemorate. I like this approach to the hobby.

I'm planning to do a representation of my uncles plane from 56 Squadron RAF,who flew Tempest Vs in 1945 Northern Germany. 

Really very impressive. Thanks for showing them and ill read up a little more on the pilots! 

Cheers

Regards,Andy

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, 112 Squadron said:

"Pengie" was actually the nickname of Gladych´s wife. He later also flew a black P-47M with the nickname Pengie IV.   

Thank you! I haven't found any pictures of "Pengie V" - his P-47M and only two of his P-47-28RE "Pengy IV" with out nose art, so I did it like I see it at the pictures. "Pengie IV" wasn't black that is fact.

1 minute ago, hadzi said:

Thank you! I haven't found any pictures of "Pengie V" - his P-47M and only two of his P-47-28RE "Pengy IV" with out nose art, so I did it like I see it at the pictures. "Pengie IV" wasn't black that is fact.

My mistake, I just confused the Roman numbers. The black P-47M was "Pengie V" and not "Pengie IV" of course.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, greatgonzo said:

You mixed descriptions on the pics and somehow painted Bubble D black knowing it was not black at all. And some details..., Ah I don't care! Big hug for  presenting this very subject. And good modelling job done!

yes, sorry fot that, I replaced this three pictures.

13 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Beautiful models serving as a great tribute to these brave flyers. 

I thought that you might like to see some images of the Station 150 memorial (incorporating original runway lights) that I took in 2018 on an 8th AF pilgrimage. 

P1000946.jpg

P1000944.jpg

P1000945.jpg

Thank you for sharing!

• Thanks 1