Against sand storm, sun stroke and the Tommy – Heller's 109 in Africa

50838273071_0589b46742_b.jpg

'White 2' was among the first 'Friedrichs' received by 1./JG 27 towards the end of 1941.

50838356187_7fd18d7606_b.jpg

This build was beyond my comfort zone. To participate in the Heller Classic groupbuild I retrieved this Messerschmitt from the stash, purchased in early 1972 when I was more accustomed to 1/72 models and Luftwaffe subjects than today. Not surprisingly this antique has its limitations. So I tried my best, which meant copious research and a considerable number of modifications. I'm rather happy with the result although Me 109 experts may still find many points that I overlooked.

50838272946_64da17335d_b.jpg

Alterations include sanding panel lines and rivets, re-scribing the airframe, elongating fuselage and wing, pruning the prop blades, detailing undercarriage legs and wheel wells. A complete WIP can be found here.

50838356127_c6fe03d2c6_b.jpg

Aftermarket parts were used for cockpit interior, canopy, radiator flaps, wheels and wheel covers. The decals come from Avalon (7009) and the scrap box.

50837546998_aaf3c176c9_b.jpg

Last but not least, a colorised picture of the original -

50837546938_98125f000c_c.jpg

I hope you enjoy my venture into the unknown. A comeback to quarterscale is near 😀

Michael

• Like 44

That's the Heller kit :yikes:??!! Outstanding work indeed!!!

I have a couple of later releases in my stash and a look at the undercarriage legs just shows how basic it is (they are hockey sticks with no detail). You've done an incredible job :clap:!

Miguel

• Thanks 1

On 15/01/2021 at 22:41, Pete in a shed said:

Probably the first Heller kit I ever made.

Same here. The first and only one. I grew up with Revell and Airfix 1/72, plus a few Frog when they became available in Germany. So, this Heller kit had the privilege of receiving my best effort almost 50 years later...

Thank you and all commentators for your kind words. It's fun to try and make the best from a classic kit.

Cheers, Michael