Hawk Mk.127 RAAF

My entry for this GB will be the 1/72 Airfix Hawk 100, to be built as a RAAF Hawk Mk.127. Had the kit for a while and through the years I've purchased a couple of additions, including the CMK resin cockpit set and. most important, the Hawkeye decals for a 76 Sqn. aircraft.

Pictures of kit, aftermarket parts and references will follow ! In the meantime here's a picture of one of these great little aircraft, taken with my compact camera in 2010 at Williamtown Thinking about it, I may actually build this very aircraft...

c8099081-575c-472c-b31e-3ae6e107f759.JPG

• Like 10

Thanks mate ! Time to show some pictures of the kit...

I bought this one very soon after it was first issued: the local chapter of a toy supermarket chain had a very good supply of Airfix kits at great prices and I spent quite some money there... Unfortunately they do not carry plastic kits anymore but I've still got many red boxes in the stash, including more than one Hawk, This is of course the original issue of the kit

resized_ff1baa4d-a468-4f6b-93e3-5cf32246

This kit was of the first issued under the then new Hornby ownership and this shows: pretty heavy trenches and little detail around.

resized_fbb1bb7a-74d4-4612-b22e-24231a04

I have already built one of the T.1 boxes, so I know what to expect from the kit. I know that fit of some parts will not be great and that certain details will need to be imptroved on. I also know that in the end it's possible to build a nice model out of it...

981bdc08-c0bd-4cd8-b54a-a4c8f613fd51.jpg

On the T.1 I only replaced the seats with resin ones from Pavla, On this one I'm replacing the whole cockpit with this CMK set:

85b34fa0-05f0-409e-b07a-24d87bf571dd.JPG

I have already checked the instrument panels configuration and the set reproduces well the Mk.127 standard. Not all Mk.100 aircraft are the same, so if building one from a different user better check this detail !

Last but not least, the decals. These are from Hawkeye Models, a small company in Australia.

79760dd4-eada-4f42-9518-01fceb9802af.JPG

Not much colour on these aircraft, unless one  builds a "special colour" aircraft. The scheme is based on the one worn by the Hornet, FS 35237 and 36375, with roundels and stencils in contrasting greys. The only touches of colour are the red/white/blue fin flash and the unit insignia. Not much but who cares, even in grey this is a nice looking aircraft !

• Like 8

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...