1/72 Fairey Fulmar Mk.1, 815 NAS, Mersa Matruh, 1943.

Here's another build I did over on the MTO GB, it was a 'quickie' to sooth myself after the irritation I had with the RS models Dornier Do 22!

It is the SMER boxing of the 90's Vista mould which was released by both Revell and Airfix as well. I used decals from the Xtradecal sheet for 815 NAS aircraft through the years.

The kit goes together well with little filling required. The cockpit transparency fits well but leaves a lip along both sides which should be flush but I decided to leave well alone for this build.  Apart from adding tape seat belts I left the cockpit as is.  I used Vallejo ModelAir throughout with 'Klear' Gloss coat, Micro Sol/Set for the decals then a coat of Vallejo Matt varnish to finish. I don't do a lot of weathering on my models, did a bit more on this one but still refrained.

After doing the photo's the landing light looks a bit 'wonky', I may do a fix later 🙄

Comments and criticism welcome.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003 DSC_0004 DSC_0005 DSC_0006 DSC_0007

• Like 21

11 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Davey

Much bigger aircraft than I expected when I built my own.

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat.

Bigger and one and a half tons heavier than a Spitfire or Hurricane. Apparently a lot of people think it was based on the Battle but it wasn't, it was a development of another Fairey fast bomber design P4/34, a two-seat level/dive bomber smaller than the Battle. A prototype was built but the RAF favoured the Hawker Henley, which of course was never used in its intended role. Not much more development was need to produce the Fulmar, its two-seat configuration suited the Navy's specs at the time.

Davey.

1 hour ago, Brigbeale said:

Great result!

Very well done.

I think I’ll hunt one down to go with my two Fairey Battles and (to be built) Cooperativa Fairey Swordfish (with upgrades).

Cheers Brian, it's a nice kit and cheap as chips. I have an Airfix Battle and the MPM Bomber and TT versions to build. Need Airfix to give us an upgrade!

Davey.

• Like 1