Jump to content

RS MODELS 1/72 Dornier Do 22, Yugoslav Refugee, No. 2 Squadron, No 201 Group, Egypt 1942


Recommended Posts

This is one of my entries in the current MTO GB.

In 1941 some Yugoslav airmen from No.2 Squadron took it upon themselves to fly 8 Do 22's to Egypt to continue the fight against the Axis. Despite their exiled government demanding they give the aircraft over to the RAF and cease hostilities the crews refused so the RAF ended up relenting and let them fly anti-submarine duties with 201 Group, operating from Aboukir. No 307 was one of the last to finish it's service in April 1942 due to lack of spares.

 

The kit has some really fine surface detail and an excellent interior. Like others of this ilk though it suffers from a lack of positive location for important parts like interior bulkheads and the struts. There are very fine markings on the mating surfaces which you have to look for very carefully but that's it.  The fuselage assembled well with little filling require for joins. I made a template from card to pre-align the wing struts but apart from that just used the 'Mark One' eyeball to align the float struts, which are all right-angles.  I fumbled the thing a couple of times, breaking off a float and then later the main wing, several swear words ensued and it nearly ended in the bin but |I took a deep breath, left it for a day and carried on.

It compares well to the Drawings and Photos in the book, not that drawings are always reliable!

It's not perfect but I'm happy with the result and I have an unusual model to add to the collection.

Vallejo ModelAir was used throughout, the colour scheme called for RLM 63 overall which I thought looked too dark, I ended up using IJN Light Grey/Green, the aircraft once they arrived in Egypt were given a rough coat of RAF Dark Green.

 

Comments and criticism welcome.

 

Davey.

 

DSC_0007  

DSC_0008

 

DSC_0009 DSC_0010 DSC_0011 DSC_0012

 

  • Like 21
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice, I did the same machine some time ago using Aviation USK/ Xothic kit, the RS (not "LS" as in topic, BTW!) kit is much more advanced...

Regards

J-W

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • DaveyGair changed the title to RS MODELS 1/72 Dornier Do 22, Yugoslav Refugee, No. 2 Squadron, No 201 Group, Egypt 1942
6 minutes ago, JWM said:

Very nice, I did the same machine some time ago using Aviation USK/ Xothic kit, the RS (not "LS" as in topic, BTW!) kit is much more advanced...

Regards

J-W

 

 

Thanks for the comments. My bad, of course it is an RS models kit and have fixed the title! :banghead:

 

Davey.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice indeed, I had wondered what colours were used on these sleek looking floatplanes,...... you`ve done a lovely job.

Cheers

        Tony

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Very nice work, Davey. As Tony says, a very sleek looking floatplane.

 

Cheers Vinnie, as soon as I saw the kit (and hadn't heard of the type before) I had to have one, expensive though!

 

Davey.

 

 

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Very nice indeed, I had wondered what colours were used on these sleek looking floatplanes,...... you`ve done a lovely job.

Cheers

        Tony

 

Cheers Tony. The book is very detailed and the Appendix had a detailed colour list for all parts and interior/exterior.  The overall colour was something called DKH Nitro enamel 'Jugograu L40/52'. I couldn't discover what this looked like. The kit colour instructions on the box had RLM 63 as the overall colour but I thought this looked too dark so went with something that I felt looked a bit better. The photos in the book may be a bit over-exposed but it still looks very light.  It may be a bit too Green but unless someone can come up with an accurate colour I'll stick with it!

 

Davey.

Link to post
Share on other sites

DKH is the manufacturer, Nitro-enamel the chemistry, and L40/52 is a paint definition, but is usually referring to the light neutral grey (Hellgrau) often seen on prewar German types such as the He 70.  This was replaced on Luftwaffe types by RLM 63, which is a yellow/greenish grey very similar to RLM02 (then only used as an interior colour),  but which fades to a very light grey that looks very close to the DKH colour.  Hence there has been considerable confusion in the past (and still is) with RLM63 often presented as this light grey, neutral or even slightly bluish.  I haven't seen any rendition of this Jugograu, but the Dornier 17Ks seem to have been painted with shades similar if not identical to the RLM colours, so if they were painted initially in RLM63 or a close relative, then they are likely to have faded to this light neutral grey before very long at all.

 

I'm not quite sure what Japanese colour you are referring to, but the Japanese adopted German paint technology, and we also see (on Zeros and others) a light yellow/greenish/grey weathering to a very light neutral grey.  Presumably the same pigments.  Until someone comes up with better information (from Yugoslav sources?)  I'd say you were on pretty safe ground with your choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

DKH is the manufacturer, Nitro-enamel the chemistry, and L40/52 is a paint definition, but is usually referring to the light neutral grey (Hellgrau) often seen on prewar German types such as the He 70.  This was replaced on Luftwaffe types by RLM 63, which is a yellow/greenish grey very similar to RLM02 (then only used as an interior colour),  but which fades to a very light grey that looks very close to the DKH colour.  Hence there has been considerable confusion in the past (and still is) with RLM63 often presented as this light grey, neutral or even slightly bluish.  I haven't seen any rendition of this Jugograu, but the Dornier 17Ks seem to have been painted with shades similar if not identical to the RLM colours, so if they were painted initially in RLM63 or a close relative, then they are likely to have faded to this light neutral grey before very long at all.

 

I'm not quite sure what Japanese colour you are referring to, but the Japanese adopted German paint technology, and we also see (on Zeros and others) a light yellow/greenish/grey weathering to a very light neutral grey.  Presumably the same pigments.  Until someone comes up with better information (from Yugoslav sources?)  I'd say you were on pretty safe ground with your choice.

 

Thanks for the comments Graham. The particular colour I used was Vallejo ModelAir 'Sky Green' 71.321 IJA Light Grey Green, FS34424. If you look over on the build thread I sprayed it Vallejo ModelAir RLM 63 which looked a bit dark anyway I felt. 

 

Davey.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

the 'Mark One' eyeball

Yes..I have one of those too.  It rarely needs a re-boot or calibration. 😁

 

Nice aircraft!  And an excellent model and story to fill in the blanks.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaveyGair said:

 

Cheers Vinnie, as soon as I saw the kit (and hadn't heard of the type before) I had to have one, expensive though!

 

Davey.

Yeah the expense has put me off to be fair,..... I like the type and the subject,..... but I don`t like it so much as to pay that money! Yo`ve done a grand job though. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

breaking off a float and then later the main wing,

 

so you couldn't resist flying it around before the glue had set ...........

 

superb build and interesting scheme of a type that is rarely seen, really like the background story too.

 

regards, adey

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant job on this really obscure type!  I knew about the Do-17Ks, but not the Do-22s.  The markings are really interesting, too.  It looks like they did a quick job to cover over the Yugoslav Royal AF roundels.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Brilliant job on this really obscure type!  I knew about the Do-17Ks, but not the Do-22s.  The markings are really interesting, too.  It looks like they did a quick job to cover over the Yugoslav Royal AF roundels.

 

Thanks, yeah, they made them look more like an RAF roundel, albeit with the colours the other way round. The tail markings were altered as well.

 

 

4 hours ago, adey m said:

 

so you couldn't resist flying it around before the glue had set ...........

 

superb build and interesting scheme of a type that is rarely seen, really like the background story too.

 

regards, adey

 

Unfortunately just Top notch cack-handedness Adey!

 

Davey.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...