Gromit's porridge-shooting aeroplane - Airfix 1/12 - by my wife!

While I was stuck in the Heller GB, my wife finally held her promise to "someday build a model to see what you are doing all the time"... The only thing I had to do was to find a suitable model, and since we both are Wallace & Gromit fans, Gromit's aeroplane seemed to be a good choice. Not that it is easy to build (it is not!), but since it could be an inspiring build. She refused any help from me, only advices. And maybe that was the best she could do, I certainly couldn't have done this much better - especially not if it had been my first model ever!

50821562623_ab51c42712_c.jpg

The plane was sprayed with Tamiya rattlecan, Gromit was her first attempt with airbrush and Tamiya colours. Chrome parts are brush-painted with Vallejo acrylics and the rest is painted with the Humbrol acrylics that followed with the box. Those of you that are familiar with this model know that the plastic is very strange, more toy-like than ordinary plastic model styrene, and that you have to cut iopenings in the body parts for the wings. I still wonder how she managed to get that perfect fit where the wing meets the body!

50837450687_2dcc7e9d5c_z.jpg

The kit was (what should have been called) the dogfight double with the motorcycle and sidecar. I really do hope she will build that one too! 

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 45
  • Thanks 1

Fabulous work for a first time build. You could subcontract your builds to her and live a life of luxury.

I'm also now wondering what Wallace and Gromit sounds like when dubbed into Swedish. 

Does Wallace still have a Northern accent? It's great to see that they are appreciated over there.

• Like 1

Wow! That's a super impressive result for a first ever build. Congratulations to your wife....and has the modelling bug bitten or is this a one off?

Seriously though, what do they put in the water there in Sweden that makes everyone a gifted modeller....even on a first attempt...and can I buy a bottle?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Fabulous work for a first time build. You could subcontract your builds to her and live a life of luxury.

I'm also now wondering what Wallace and Gromit sounds like when dubbed into Swedish. 

Does Wallace still have a Northern accent? It's great to see that they are appreciated over there.

Yes, I am really impressed! Good idea, by the way, I will consider that! :)

And yes Wallace and Gromit have lots of fans here. Wallace is almost always dubbed by Claes Månsson, one of Sweden's most famous comedians (at least during the 90s) and speaks the the accent of Gothenburg - however that is perhaps just because the comedian was born there, I doubt that the intention is to make him Gothenburgish. Here is an interview with him: 

• Like 1

The difference in accents is too subtle for me. I'll have to stick to Northern English.

I know foreigners can't usually tell the difference in English accents though.

And we must all remember not to wear the wrong trousers, Gromit!

Cheers, Pete

• Like 1

That's really inspiring, she did a splendid job.  Sounds like a challenging kit as well.  Very commendable.

I've been trying to get Her Ladyship to build a kit, as she loves to glue and paint, etc.  I think Star Trek or early US space program will be the angle.

I also notice the little sun icon Swedish TV4 is using duplicates the Kuomintang roundel....

• Haha 1