Convert Revell 1/72 IXC U-Boat to IXB

iSteve

I just picked up Revell's 1/72 IXC U-boat (U-67/U-154) and was considering converting it to make U-103, which is a IXB. I thought I had read somewhere here that all that was needed was to replace the conning tower. Is that so? Anything else? Is there an aftermarket conning tower available for this conversion?

If the above isn't feasible, I was originally thinking of making it U-66. In that instance, I shouldn't have to change anything except the emblem, correct?

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

Hi 

Im new to building u-boats and currently researching making a VIIb into a VIIa. Flooding vents can be configured differently on some boats even of the same type. Some had yard specific modifications and depending on the time frame you are modelling your chosen boat can again be different.

Try a search of amp.rocket.biz 

That is an extensive u-boat resource which will really help both modellers and historians 

Good luck with your build, hope you’ll be posting a WIP as I’d be wanting to follow that.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, GrantGoodale said:

You could try uboat.net. Lots of info there.

Thanks Grant. That was my primary source of information that begged the question. Other than a slight difference in length and no other proportion changes, the IXB and IXC are identical. The conning tower that came with the kit is also standard on a type IXB, but not for U-66.

So it looks like I'll be building U-103.

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Hi 

Im new to building u-boats and currently researching making a VIIb into a VIIa. Flooding vents can be configured differently on some boats even of the same type. Some had yard specific modifications and depending on the time frame you are modelling your chosen boat can again be different.

Try a search of amp.rocket.biz 

That is an extensive u-boat resource which will really help both modellers and historians 

Good luck with your build, hope you’ll be posting a WIP as I’d be wanting to follow that.

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out. But, as you pointed out, there were a lot of variances even among the same types, so photo references are the best source.

This build won't be for a while yet. I'll be doing U-96 in 1/144 scale before I get to the 1/72 monster :) And I've added WWI U-9 by Das Werk in 1/72 to the list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Sounds like a good build list. I’ve just pre-ordered the new Revel 1/144 Das Boot Edition and really fancy the Das Werk WWI Kit. 

I was surprised and dismayed when I saw Revell was releasing that. Pleasantly surprised because it was out of production for so long and dismayed because of the great hunt I had trying to get the early Type VIIC. Oh well :)

It was the Das Werk kit that put the bug back in me to get a 1/72 Revell U-boat. So now I'll have two huge kits in the stash and looking forward to building both.