British X-Craft Submarine

I seem to be on a submarine jag this summer.

I finished the Revell Gato, the Moebius Seaview, the I❤️ Kits X-Craft and I am just finishing up the Italeri Siluro Corsa Lente Chariot.

I'll probably post some of those some other time.

This time I'd like to show off my X-Craft.

I haven't done any in progress shots I'm afraid. Too lazy I guess.

It was a nice little kit, went together with no putty and I only lost one part, which will never be seen anyway and only broke one part.

The only aftermarket part I used was a bronze prop off a PT boat. Just had to reshape it a little bit and it fit perfectly!

We'll start with the obligatory full-hull glamour shoot.

All the sticky out bits are stowed.

WcgqHkJl.jpg

Okay, I lied a bit, I didn't retract the snorkle, I just left it off, well in this pic at least.

Primed with Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black with Tamiya NATO Black misted over the topsides.

rNx2d10l.jpg

I have one of my Italian frogmen (Tony) for scale here. (He looks much better in colour!)

The rust is multiple layers and various shades of Vallejo rust paints.

It looks a lot less stark in person btw.

HnWcHW7l.jpg

I didn't want to get too carried away with the rust because these things didn't stay in service for long, but you know submarines...

The explosive charges got the least amount of weathering  because I figured they didn't get carried around for very long.

Eqv2DKwl.jpg

SVYo85Nl.jpg

That's all I have time for right this minute.

I do have some more shots to post later.

I hope you guys like it, questions, comments and criticism are all welcome!

• Like 15

I quite like the way the rust came out on this thing,  but for some reason the camera flash REALLY makes it stand out.

It is far more subtle under normal lighting.

IkAH4Csl.jpg

Everything sticking out. 

Some of the images I found seem to show the propeller, periscope tube, engine snorkel tube and the bend in the forward snorkel in unpolished brass.

Since this thing needed a little splash of colour I painted these bits with a nice bright gold and gave it a quick wash of verdigris green to knock down the shine.

UOMD6Aul.jpg

The kit, oddly left out a few minor details like the cable the the diver used and the release clamps for the explosive charges.

They DID include the clevises for the divers cable and the release clamps but showed no details on how it all hooks together.

Fortunately there is the internet...

I did make a few assumptions about the divers cable since I could find no info for it.

It hooks onto a clevis on the front of the boat just below the tow cable eye and hooks to a bracket just under the front hatch.

Since the front hatch is the airlock from which the diver emerges  I guessed that it was to help him back to the boat after cutting nets or whatever.

l8g84pQl.jpg

Showing off the new brass screw.  I'm not entirely sure that it's correct (probably not) but it looks good. Well, better than the teeny airplane prop that came with the kit.

GdZvuTel.jpg

This is what most of the rust really looks like.

Zqy16yQl.jpg

While looking for references on X-craft I stumbled across this documentary on Operation Source, the X-craft attack on the Tirpitz.

Enjoy!

Edited by Tzulscha
  • Like 4

Having recently read 'Above us the waves', The story of the X craft, It's good to see another model of one on here.

And a very good one too. Nice subtle rust effects and corrections to the original kit. 

I'll watch the video later. Cheers, Pete

• Thanks 1

I watched the video, and found the other three from the program on the tube.

It all just reinforces my admiration for the crews who took part, and the incredible bravery they showed. Bless them all. :poppy:

Having said that, and not wishing to detract from their bravery, How annoying was the 'expert' on the film?

He reminded me of this sketch from Mitchell and Webb.

https://youtu.be/bwAioN2mtsA

Also, the later X 20 series craft were built at three locations. One of which was Marshalls of Gainsborough. Eight miles from here.

18 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I watched the video, and found the other three from the program on the tube.

It all just reinforces my admiration for the crews who took part, and the incredible bravery they showed. Bless them all. :poppy:

Having said that, and not wishing to detract from their bravery, How annoying was the 'expert' on the film?

He reminded me of this sketch from Mitchell and Webb.

https://youtu.be/bwAioN2mtsA

Also, the later X 20 series craft were built at three locations. One of which was Marshalls of Gainsborough. Eight miles from here.

Hah! Yes.

I've seen that, and you are right on the money.

I suppose you have to try to bring a bit of drama when you do documentaries.

• Like 1