Ferdinand and Elefant.

Stef N.

On 6/2/2021 at 7:52 AM, echen said:

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that it rained during the battle of Kursk. I'll see if I can find the reference.

Yes, it did and  heavily. Especially at the beginning on the first day and the lead up

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As regards your painting..If you look at photos of German vehicles of all types, the spray patterns are usually very rough and random , looking like they've been blatted on any old how. I guess you'd also need to bear in mind what type of paint or spray effect a little 1/35 scale man could do with a tiny spray gun ( or brush) that's also at his scale... Just a thought !

Your weathering, dust, muck, whatever, is of course going over this too.

Edited by Pig of the Week
  • Like 1

An update. Using Mr Mahogany primer as the very dark base colour to start, I got the base DG colour and modulation done. Quite happy with the colour although a couple of areas I will touch up before getting to the green camo. Found a good mix for the green on an old Mike Rinaldi article so will give that a try too.

p?i=f5ca1ae523d239cd8460c68a3c7781d0

p?i=b1839b5d34f03e7f6b37fa196c6f83ec

p?i=7c878090ba907e1520baa44bd32dc035

p?i=60448b60fb7c41077a0bf1f49cc7dbb1

Here's the Mike Rinaldi article for anyone interested.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/other/modulationmr_1.html

Thanks for looking, happy Sunday and enjoy the weather.👍

• Like 8

I could get most of it done today but it is a bit hot at the moment. How bad does 30 degree heat affect lacquer paints and will it dry too fast to make airbrushing a PITA? (Not making excuses for a tricky paint job,honest😀)

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I could get most of it done today but it is a bit hot at the moment. How bad does 30 degree heat affect lacquer paints and will it dry too fast to make airbrushing a PITA? (Not making excuses for a tricky paint job,honest😀)

Best take your time and do it how you feel comfortable with !.. Have a go in the evening when it's cooler... 👍

• Like 1

I eventually got the camo done. As tricky as I was expecting and doesn't rally match up to the drawings I have so won't win any plaudits for authenticity. Got a bit heavy handed in places, a bit loose in others, but overall happier at the end than I was during the painting. Probably not the best time to try out a new airbrush but I wasn't certain 'old trusty' could get fine enough lines.

Next to give it a bit of a clear coat, some decals and then the weathering. 👍

p?i=6813f96f1f13b841bc0464022efa6e87

p?i=800eefb3e9e0cb0c272d4c33b3ab2650

p?i=74c47644cf7f43a50e763faa77be6b98

p?i=f066af3c71376ccfb07fb7754be4092a

p?i=1b056d6e69e970fa229a7b0e6142b1bc

p?i=b2a63a70912b24e4805ea0aa7cde1d6e

• Like 11

Thanks mate. 👍

My heart started sinking during one side of painting but then I got into a groove and my technique got better. For full authenticity I should have used masks but the faffing about with tape etc would have taken ages.

• Like 1

I honestly think you've done way better than if you'd been flipping about with masks, the panzer guys didn't, they just sprayed it on,  tucked away in the woods somewhere out of view from jabos!

I'm looking at "heffalumps" now myself thinking, "hmmm, I've never made one of those"..... ;)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2021 at 7:45 AM, echen said:

Haven't had a chance to go through my book on Kursk but a quick DuckDuck search found the following.

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/2016/09/02/the-battle-of-kursk-showdown-at-prokhorovka-and-oboian/

That's a great read !! Thanks for posting it up !!

I had actually not known that it rained that badly, thinking it was hot and dusty.

Quote...

Alfred Novotny has never forgotten the 4th Panzer Army’s opening artillery barrage and the foul weather that accompanied it: “The first hours of the Kursk offensive still cause flashbacks 50-odd years later. Sometimes I think I can still hear the incredible loud noise of the German weapons … flak, artillery, mortars, Stukas, and Nebelwerfers. I cannot forget the endless, terrible rain, rain, and more rain. We were totally drenched, heavily laden down with equipment, knee deep in mud all around us.”

42 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Cheers Lee. It's safely set aside for me to get my military mojo back. I seem to be buying far more than I am finishing at the moment. 😀

Me too !!

At my age, I’ll probably never finish what I have 🤣

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Longbow said:

At my age, I’ll probably never finish what I have

Same problem here.

Found my book on Kursk. "Kursk The Greatest Battle" by Lloyd Clark. Begins with a lot of detail on the political/military lead up to Kursk then pp231 - 413 on the battle and aftermath. Found it very interesting.

Read a book on the history of the Luftwaffe recently that facetiously suggested a need for a statue in Parliament Square of Mr. Hitler next to Mr. Churchill. This was on the basis of Adolf's decisions about the Luftwaffe that were so helpful to the Allies. I think maybe his contribution to the Eastern Front campaigns, particularly Kursk, might be an added reason for the statue. If we didn't know what an evil maniac he was in every other aspect of his rule one might almost think he was an allied agent.

Edited by echen
Clarification
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Before I start my Sturmtiger I think it's about time to finish off this little project. The old Ferdi has had it dust blown off, decals added and tools etc had a their base colours painted. A little sealing in tomorrow and then I can get on with weathering.

p?i=59b644a56c9a2cc535cbe0ff80d827d9

• Like 11

Thanks guys. I'm sure some of you have had the same problem as me but I completely lost interest in this project but as soon as I picked it up, dusted it down the interest flooded back. Weird hobby sometimes. 😀

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Thanks guys. I'm sure some of you have had the same problem as me but I completely lost interest in this project but as soon as I picked it up, dusted it down the interest flooded back. Weird hobby sometimes. 😀

Absolutely!
Although Ferdinant / Elefant are super, my model is also gathering dust half finished in the cabinet.
Had your build actually want to use as a pacemaker, but does not seem to work 😴

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Thanks guys. I'm sure some of you have had the same problem as me but I completely lost interest in this project....

Sure have, I've a Tiger that keeps looking accusingly at me, particularly when I start flirting with a new younger model.....:whistle:  :winkgrin:

Sure it'll look great when finished well worth the final push!

Cheers

• Thanks 1