Ferdinand and Elefant.

Stef N.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that it rained during the battle of Kursk. I'll see if I can find the reference.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, echen said:

Haven't had a chance to go through my book on Kursk but a quick DuckDuck search found the following.

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/2016/09/02/the-battle-of-kursk-showdown-at-prokhorovka-and-oboian/

You were right. I managed to give it a proper read and heavy rain was mentioned a couple of times so a re-evaluation of my weathering is necessary. Luckily the dust hasn't been fixed and will wash off (and I wasn't overly happy with it either.) Cheers.👍

• Like 1

From memory the Russian weather is very hot in summer. The landscape would probably dry out between spells of rain so the combatants would have been alternately soaked and covered in dust.

Don't know which would be worse - other than trying to fight in very sub-zero temperatures.

An update on the main body. This has taken a bit longer than I expected as, although not a complicated kit, it has lots of little pieces that need cleaning up and careful placing. Everything I must say fits very well and I haven't had many problems, except the odd carpet monster moments and Sprue C. This was from their first earlier Elefant kit and it isn't very good on the whole. Vague and lacking detail, luckily most is for the interior, but the gun barrel was rubbish so I had to veer down the Aber barrel route (this is superb btw.) I also used some of the MJ Miniatures clamps and clasps. Very nicely detailed but not easy to got off their backing and I broke a couple until I got used to them.

p?i=2c7cb6fb0ffc22f1d8318fcb696a77d8

p?i=eb88f20d7fb15b15b9c4c92f56003e62

p?i=53563eb513c84927b06f7c5c7d603e75

p?i=2f3db78dffc2c57afd5e068074b09700

Just need to finish up the side guards, adding the tools, spare tracks etc and then painting should start.

• Like 8

A small piece of advice please. The kit doesn't come with any tow ropes, some of the photos show it without them, although most of these are after the battle but all the colour profiles I have show them with and I am of the belief that the factory would have installed them.

Should I put them on or did some Ferdinands never have them? 

The book Panzer Battalion 507 has a pic of a Ferdinand with 2 cables secured on the glacis.

Just double checked. It was an Elephant - not a Ferdinand...........sorry.

Edited by echen
  • Thanks 1

The problem is when a company leaves something off you think there must be a good reason, so you go through all your books, bookmarks, internet gallery and ask silly questions only to find out they've made a small mistake. A good way of learning more about a tank I suppose. I hope I still have some Tamiya tow hooks in the spares box.🤔

And I do. That's a reminder of why I've kept the spares box.👍

Edited by Stef N.
Small update.

On 6/8/2021 at 1:16 PM, Stef N. said:

Should I put them on or did some Ferdinands never have them? 

I've had a quick scan through 'Ferdinand and Elefant' by Thomas Anderson and there are a few examples of non-wreak Ferdinands seemingly without tow cables. In a happy segue to your 'dust or mud' conversation, there is a picture of a cableless Ferdinand of sPzJgAbt 653 barreling up to the front in a cloud of dust!

So there seems to be some apocryphal evidence that they weren't always fitted, which may have been a valid option before your spares box came to the rescue. :smile:

• Thanks 1

Cheers for that. I found a similar one online to what you say and the dust effects would have been perfect. This photo finally made up my mind of what I am going to (attempt) to do. This is just after the battle but before the Russians had stripped it and carted it off the field. (I won't be damaged like this though.)

spacer.png

• Like 4

It's basically a chunkier version of the cobweb pattern. It's more an attempt to see how good my airbrushing skills are. It could get cruder than the one in the photo. 😀

• Like 1

That's good to know. I was originally going to use a lot of masking but that would have been too precise so I will do it purely freehand. Any mistakes can be covered up later on.👍

• Like 1