The Unknown Bomber in1/48

Fifer54

I knew I wanted to take part in this GB, I have a history of building GW aircraft for GBs!

I bought this kit a few years ago at a show, when I was first pondering moving to 1/48 (from 1/72). I never really felt any need to build it until now. I think it was when I realised that the only Gulf War kits

in my stash were this and a 1/144 Revell Tonka with a Freghtdog GR4 conversion and Op. Granby decals- I may get round to that one later.. (Thinks- must get a suitable kit for next year's Falklands 40 GB-

there's bound to be one!)

So, my subject for this GB is an OA-10A, 76-0547, of the 23rd Tactical Air Support Squadron, 602nd TAC Wing, tasked with a Forward Air Control mission as "Nail FAC", based at King Fahd Airport, Saudi Arabia,

and carrying "The Unknown Bomber" noseart.

My kit is the Zhengdefu (don't laugh!) A-10A Thunderbolt II, but using AM decals kindly given by a fellow BMer, from a SpeedHunter Graphics sheet (still in the post!)

This is the kit:

p?i=3f5cd22913657efcee9929b52fa7b99c

p?i=7a55ebbeac73e1736ba64982ef9263a1

p?i=400110a547c9ef5d25b99e43e5e21b47

Here are the decals, most of which will not be used. Only one of the five options offered is a Gulf War bird, and that one is missing noseart, among other things . . .

p?i=e2b84f3ccbd10b99adef04c76641fa74

And lastly, the comdedy instruction sheet! Apart from the "Chinglish" text, in the first construction stage, the builder is told to fasten the fuselage halves together with

"cellophane tape" and "DO NOT CEMENT"- that's fine, but nowhere in the instructions does it say to cement the fuselage!- I get a mental picture of young modellers with

Warthogs falling apart because they haven't been told to glue them!

p?i=d295db968e2ee3236f160c148db0087c

I think this could well contain some fun!

See you all on Sunday! (And I've just noticed that the date on my camera is set a day ahead-no attempt to con anybody, just an oversight, I'll put it right, right now!)

• Like 7

Looks like that decal sheet is a copy of the Tamiya kit decal sheet.  715 of the 353rd TFS is also a DS jet; it was the squadron CO's plane, though decal sheet it lacks the specific post war scoreboard markings, and the "Panther 1" nose art.

• 2 weeks later...

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY OR ATTEMPT TO ASSEMBLE ANY KIT BEARING THE BRAND NAME "ZHENGDEFU"!!

Do not ask me how I know this!

OMG, this kit is (a word I can't use on this forum, that rhymes with kit!)

The sink marks, the ejector pin marks, and a general suspicion that any resemblance between this kit and an actual A-10 is purely coincidental.

The decal sheet is rubbish with decals that doesn't adhere to surfaces and fall apart at the slightest provocation, "Rescue" arrow decals that read "Rescve", squadron badges with mottoes like "awfi minq", "tann llmt",

and mislabelling that tells you to apply the IP decal to a side console, and a large white number 647 to the IP!

The fit is atrocious, with flash in awkward places, locating tabs that just don't fit in their notches, and warpage in three dimensions on the fuselage halves.

The MPM Hudson I built last year was easier . . .

Anyway, having got all that off my chest, there has been progress. Some sub-assemblies have been built. I would have shown them yesterday, but an issue with camera batteries recharging all day prevented that!

p?i=e6a269f530ef9e6a5ead6aa2ba3e61e5

I'd say wish me luck, but I think this is way beyond luck, a few large Scotches might help (me, not the kit!)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, Col. said:

Sounds as if you're having 'fun' with this one :o 

Yup!

I don't often give up on a kit-last year I built and finished a MPM Hudson, and gave it some conversion work- and the last one I binned was an Airfix Auster Antarctic when that kit was current in their range (late 1960s, I think!)

BUT I've had so much "fun" with this that I'm going to adopt the "jack up colour scheme, fit new model" protocol!

I'll still be building a 1/48 Warthog, probably still building The Unknown Bomber, but I'll be building it from this!:

p?i=d9be7ede8e471951d0aa287ec49eb953

Looking at it in the box, the higher quality is immediately evident.

p?i=459b16a562e1b6653d5d8149542d3b8c

An instruction sheet, a proper plan(!) that makes sense, and a lovely matt finished decal sheet

p?i=1534c7edb285ff870febdbc35c0a682a

I think I will have some real fun with this . . .

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Warthog Mk.II has been started!

This is as far as I've got (2 other GBs elsewhere getting in the way!)

p?i=3fb204a3c0d8d9fb165f172b2e7adbf2

p?i=601a6edad9a6c87cb02394e5ee543dad

It just looks so much better than the Zhengdefu kit (which will get built, as a ceiling hanger for my stepson . . .)

• Like 3

I lived in China for 3 years in the oo's. There I learned that a cheap copy is not always the best solution. At least you learned from the comfort of Lancashire!

Enjoy the Esci kit but maybe have Mrs 54 buy you the Tamiya one for your Birthday!

Colin

On 2/8/2021 at 9:51 PM, Colin W said:

I lived in China for 3 years in the oo's. There I learned that a cheap copy is not always the best solution. At least you learned from the comfort of Lancashire!

Enjoy the Esci kit but maybe have Mrs 54 buy you the Tamiya one for your Birthday!

Colin

When SWMBO buys me a kit, it's always a helicopter! I'm trying to steer her towards a Chinook for next birthday!

Construction has moved on a little . . .

p?i=a64c648ed1112f6b36d7ca17f29cfc94

p?i=7ba035160e8ff76a329247451824bee6

One thing that's noticeable about this kit is a distinct lack of locating pins, pegs etc. There are a only a few on the major components, and some careful alignment is required. Not having built ESCI kits before, I don't know if this is

normal for ESCI, or just this kit? Some parts have substantial warpage too, and need fastening together while the cement sets.

Edited by Fifer54
correcting a typo
  • Like 3

Zhengdogpoo. Never heard that one before. 🤣

They are buildable, I have the Su-27 completed many years ago. I also have a Hog part built, but currently stored while I do other things. I have also in the stash an Su-33 which is cut up to make a carrier borne variant with folded wings, an Aardvark and a Raven. They will all get built subject to life expectancy.

Then again, I do stoopid things like build Mach 2 and Unicraft and Magna, and any other obscure stuff I can find.

I remember a chap on ebay selling a ZD Hog, describing it as Tamiya quality, just because it's a knock off. I did send him a rather terse message about mis-representation.

Worst bit? the 8 barrelled gun muzzle! 😱

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 10:25 AM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Zhengdogpoo. Never heard that one before. 🤣

They are buildable, I have the Su-27 completed many years ago. I also have a Hog part built, but currently stored while I do other things. I have also in the stash an Su-33 which is cut up to make a carrier borne variant with folded wings, an Aardvark and a Raven. They will all get built subject to life expectancy.

Then again, I do stoopid things like build Mach 2 and Unicraft and Magna, and any other obscure stuff I can find.

I remember a chap on ebay selling a ZD Hog, describing it as Tamiya quality, just because it's a knock off. I did send him a rather terse message about mis-representation.

Worst bit? the 8 barrelled gun muzzle! 😱

The Zhengdefu will get built. I'll make it a ceiling hanger for my stepson . . .

Anyway, the ESCI has some progress: she's stood on her legs!

p?i=1ff0397adb394f4c93f1d04f8caaa19b

Coming together. Usually I would paint before landing gear if possible, but in this case, I could see no way of adding the legs after fitting those undercarriage fairings; the gaps for the legs to go through aren't

big enough for the completed legs . . .

So the legs had to be added, then the fairings built around them. Since taking the pic, the canopy has been added and masked, and the first paint is ready for application.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like ages since anything was posted about this!

I have been getting on with it, it's just that, like so many, I keep forgetting to take photos . . .

Painting is ongoing, or is that paint is going on?

p?i=4ec7c0d424847db3abfd9f30012c378a

More has been done since then: On what is (to me) a big model, I thought I might try to save effort, time and materials by only glosscoating the areas where decals had to go, and mattcoating the whole

model after decalling to pull the "glossed" and "un-glossed" areas together. Here she is after some glosscoat (Humbrol enamel gloss varnish, applied by hairy stick):

p?i=29efe66234d8c72e73439861f6cd1f0a

p?i=e3d5a6afb076ddf182f23128317cfbe0

And the ordnance hasn't been neglected either:

p?i=69dc7f6219e4921d6b1211a1108dd34d

As a kite tasked with the "Fast FAC" mission, "The Unknown Bomber" was a OA-10A, and carried a slightly different loadout to the usual A-10s. Hardpoints are numbered 1-11 from outboard port wing to

outboard starboard wing. 1. 2x AIM-9M on a DRA. 2. LAU-68 rocket pod  3. AGM-65 "Maverick" on LAU-117.  4. Mk.82 "slick" LDGP. 5,6 and 7. no pylon carried 8. Mk.82 "slick" LDGP 9.AGM-65 "Maverick" on LAU-117

10. LAU-68 rocket pod  11. AN/ALQ-119.

As far as my representations of DRA and LAU-117 are concerned, any resemblance to an original or actual unit is purely coincidental! I just want to hang the stuff on the kite!

Next stop: paint touchups, then decals!

• Like 2

Looking very good with the paint on and a good idea to gloss only where the decals are to go, done this a few times mainly on targets. Nice to see a realistic weapons load rather than fitting all that you can. Keep up this good work.

I'm calling this finished now. Every additional coat of matt varnish throws up a new set of brush marks, so more work ain't gonna make it better! Even at 50/50 varnish/thinners (that's airbrush thinning!)

brushmarks are still being left. As a consequence, I'm going to re-think how I finish models- it's either that or lower my expectations and retire from "public" modelling (and then whose models could you laugh at?!🤣)

As soon as I've posted this, there will be more pix in the gallery.

p?i=3608264f5b52f20407d65c2ddb40b367

My next GB involvement on BM will be the Messerschmitt Bf109 STGB, for which my entry will be an OOB build of Eduard's 1/48 Bf109F-2.

thanks to the hosts for a fun and enjoyable GB, and to all participants for their work, and to all who have commented in this thread, a hearty thank you. You're all very kind . . .

• Like 1