Javelin FAW.9 XH897 A&AEE 1/48 Airfix

Cor that's a stunner! Love the subtle weathering and slight dulling of the red, makes the whole thing look really convincing. You've also taken lots of care to capture the little detail modifications of this particular machine 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Great job on a great kit. It is a superb kit from Airfix and it goes together nicely. Your painting skills are superb, red and white are easy to trip up on as I am about to find out with my build of the same kit, any tips welcome..😉

The other point is masking. It is not just one demarcation line along the fuselage but many at all angles too, as can be seen a long time spent on the task but it has paid dividends, superb work here too.

Second that! It's a remarkable scheme and looks exactingly difficult to do. A masking and painting Tour De Force indeed. I did Revell's 1:72 "Little Miss Mischief", a B17 which was almost as challenging ( 6 different colours on the tail area alone) Some colours i did twice as i was not happy with them. it takes skill and patience to attempt your scheme you picked. I'm very impressed . Well done Sir!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

From what I can tell this Javelin and XH754 which I am building are both test airframes and both seem to have 3 pitot tubes, however, XH754 has a shorter one on the nose cone.

I can only see two on standard production machines but I am no expert on the 'Flat Iron' so would be happy to be corrected.

Thank you Head.  Me no expert either.

A quick image search on 'Tinternet' throws up pics with Javelins sporting 1..2 and 3 Pitot tubes! I don't want to open a can of worms here, just my curiosity gets the better of me sometimes. I thought it likely as it was a Boscombe Test airframe to have as many test data points available - hence additional pitot tubes. 3 is a good number for comparison if you wanted to accurately record your true airspeed. It's a superb model indeed!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

That's great. If you decide to display her as she is today you'll need to bend the front pitot tube abit - it was either run into something or some horrible child decide to hang off it!

or turn it in to a narwal tusk..(twisted in to a corkscrew) today's vandals are a bit more creative!

3 hours ago, F-32 said:

Beautiful work, absolute quality!

Snapped at Duxford many years ago

7198027490_e8ad8075bb_3k.jpgHPIM0301 by tony_inkster, on Flickr

Is that a Gannet, Sea Vixen and Phantom also in the pic Tony? It's a really nice picture. Thank you for sharing this.. i thought it was another snap of the model !

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz

An excellent example of a BD aircraft which has come out really well, we’re seeing a few of these Javelins now. If you choose, there is a single ejection triangle close to the port aileron where that cone is. I’ll try and find a photo.....

I’m told by folks who worked there in the 70’s that the orange animal like sticker was reference to a particular foreman nicknamed as snifter for his excessive very particular standard of doing things......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Not really knowing that much about the Javelin.. does it have 3 Pitot tubes because it's a Test /evaluation aircraft of did they all have 3 x pitot tube as standard? I'm just curious .. 

Hi standard production configuration was just the two wing mounted pitots. Quite a number of the test and evaluation aircraft had the three and if memory serves a couple of the early prototypes had just two - nose and port wing (I think). Sorry can’t get to the books at the moment

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Great job on a great kit. It is a superb kit from Airfix and it goes together nicely. Your painting skills are superb, red and white are easy to trip up on as I am about to find out with my build of the same kit, any tips welcome..😉

The other point is masking. It is not just one demarcation line along the fuselage but many at all angles too, as can be seen a long time spent on the task but it has paid dividends, superb work here too.

Hi No tips really it was a nice kit to build. I did remove the lumps (not sure what they actually are) that can be seen on the wing roundels. I thought there’s no way any decal is going to conform over those. Easy to remove with a sharp flat side cutter and then add back on later. Unfortunately I managed to then loose them and had to make new ones from plasticard. The only other thing I didn’t like were the decal fin flash’s on the tail. I scrapped these and sprayed them instead. Loved the build but I’m not in a hurry to start another just yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, petetasker said:

Hi standard production configuration was just the two wing mounted pitots. Quite a number of the test and evaluation aircraft had the three and if memory serves a couple of the early prototypes had just two - nose and port wing (I think). Sorry can’t get to the books at the moment

No problem Pete. It's a great model. Thanks for the additional information. Interesting. 

Cheers! Andy

• Like 1

It looks gorgeous mate,..... I`ve always liked this aircraft wearing this scheme but it is beyond my masking and painting skills to achieve anything like the masterpiece you have produced,.... so well done indeed.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

I could seriously fall out with you Pete,

That's another machine I have often looked at whilst at Duxford and thought I must do one of those.

Greats job.

Harrier to follow......

Cheers mate. By coincidence the next project is Kinetics new Harrier GR3.

• Like 1

I'm in the middle of building this Kit myself, and I have to say, you've made a great job of yours, I can only hope that my effort turns out half as good as yours, although I'm going to the last option on the instructions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2021 at 2:08 PM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Is that a Gannet, Sea Vixen and Phantom also in the pic Tony? It's a really nice picture. Thank you for sharing this.. i thought it was another snap of the model !

Yes indeed, a great collection of British classics......................I think it was the only time I've seen them outside.

• Thanks 1