AMT 1/48 A-10

DeepSea

Hi All,

I've picked up the following kit (https://www.scalemates.com/kits/amt-ertl-8587-a-10-thunderbolt-ii--120551) and whilst I'm aware it's not the best/fully accurate etc - I'm hoping to be able to use it to practice techniques etc on (rather than mess up something I'm more invested in).

With that in mind - is there a list of things that are known wrong with the kit/ideally would be corrected so I can scope out what I can try/what techniques I can try out on this.

Cheers

I've had a quick search round the web and can find only less than complimentary reviews of this kit- as you are aware it has a reputation as being the worst A10 kit in this scale, perhaps only challenged for this particular honour by the Tamiya edition.

Until I find an online build review, which might be difficult considering the kit's age, I can't find any specific faults that you could correct, but in the meantime you could have a look at the general measurement, wingspan, fuselage length etc and compare the kit's shape and dimensions with some good drawings. 

Best of luck!

A-10 Thunderbolt II Three-view

EDIT: Apparently with raised panel lines and no Cockpit detail to speak of, you could do a bit of re-scribing and scratchbuilding? Or maybe try and get a aftermarket cockpit set to fit? 

AMT Esci A-10 thread

• Like 1

I don't have any reference dedicated to the A-10, a couple of old 'World Air Power Journal' aside,  but I would start simply with a google image search for the 'A-10 Warthog Thunderbolt' -perhaps include 'three view' or similar as I did for the result in my previous post. 

If you are after a single volume resource, the Haynes "Workshop Manual" would probably be a good place to start, at around 17 quid on Amazon it's not bad value.  Haynes  have really found a niche with these works and I use them a fair bit as a quick reference , in contrast to my oily-thumb-print festooned 'Ford Mondeo Mk1 and 2  1993 to 1996' edition. 🙂 , but 17 Quid might be better spent on some tools or supplies.

The important thing is for you to have fun, enjoy building the kit- get some experience for future kits. There are loads of great build videos on You Tube, including this one below to help modellers like myself, who are not a club member and working in isolation:

Warthog Build

For completed kit inspiration have a look at some of the A-10 models on display in Brett Green's Hyperscale Gallery:

Hyperscale Gallery

Best of luck!

• Like 1

On 17/01/2021 at 10:42, Shorty84 said:

No idea how accurate they are but some nice drawings for the A-10 can be found here: http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw_an.html#7

In general, "airwar.ru" is a good source for drawings of various aircraft types.

Cheers

Markus

Ah - that's a fantastic resource! I'm bookmarking that one.

Cheers Markus