1/72 - Hawker Tempest Mk.V/VI & Mk.II by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - released - P.1027 Tempest conversion by Freightdog Models

Homebee

On 9/15/2022 at 11:27 AM, Meatbox8 said:

ust one issue I've noticed though is the nose ring which is too blunt. On the real thing it slopes quite pronouncedly towards the prop so it will need to be re-shaped somewhat. On the whole an enjoyable kit and I think the panel lines are much better than the Airfix Mk.V.

5 hours ago, Bedders said:

I agree, and it was another of the disappointments I was hoping not to have with this kit. The Special Hobby kit is a bit better if I remember correctly, but the diameter is different so not swappable unfortunately. I sanded the 'corner' pretty heavily all round on mine bit it still isn't quite right. 

Much the same issue with the original Matchbox kit. After sanding mine for ages & hoping it was enough.

DSCF2843

LA602

It wasn't. :(

Steve.

• Like 3

On 9/16/2022 at 4:32 AM, stevehnz said:

Much the same issue with the original Matchbox kit. After sanding mine for ages & hoping it was enough.

DSCF2843

LA602

It wasn't. :(

Steve.

Indeed, Steve. I was hoodwinked by the old Matchbox kit, of which the KP kit is similar in that department, in to thinking the front of the cowling is rather blunt but looking at pics of the real thing it is really quite similar to the Sea Fury i.e. much more streamlined.  To my eye the kit's nose looks rather reminiscent of the FW190.  I also sanded down the front of the cowling but another issue is that the intake is much wider than the real thing so there's not much material to play with. A pity really as the rest of the kit is pretty good and well engineered.

• Like 1

I've built both the KP late mark Tempest kits, The F.6 came first and was a bit of a struggle as I didn't follow the construction schedule (which is why the nose section was such a pain) but the Mk.II was a breeze (although I'd already completed the engine and propeller in anticipation of its arrival from the spares in the F.6 kit). The F.6 had bad sink marks in the prop spinner but the subsequent pay-back spare part from the Mk.II sorted this out. One of the recurring comments in the thread has been concerning the KP decals. To be frank, they're pants....... I persevered with the F.6 ones but went for XtraDecals for the Mk.II as the kit ones were obviously the wrong colour and so badly printed that many of the serials were unusable, something which I've also found with their Seafire Mk.Ib, Spitfire PR.Mk.X and PR.Mk.XI decals, all of which I've mostly replaced. Aside from these gripes though, some nice gaps filled in my collection. 😃

Edited by Whistlekiller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1