1/72 - Hawker Tempest Mk.V/VI & Mk.II by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - released - P.1027 Tempest conversion by Freightdog Models

Homebee

21 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Overengineered and too modular. LOL  - ok, that's a first. I'll take it though. Always good to have spare bits around. 

3 hours ago, JamesP said:

Looks like it should be a great little kit. The tread on the tires is well done. Over engineered? Well the Matchbox kit has two noses. 

As long as the kit is accurate (which is what really matters to me), if that little over-engineering allows to have proper II/VI versions by just adding an extra sprue, I'm all for it! Doesn't look near as complex as Eduard's Spitfires, IMHO, and those have been a success. Now, waiting for that 6 Sqn. Mk. VI in Palestine markings... 

• Like 1

Difficult to see how they could the three marks out of one set of moulds. If you are going to tool new wings and new fuselages for the MkII and MkVI, it gets expensive. I suspect a bit of tongue in cheek in the comments Las well. 

27 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Difficult to see how they could the three marks out of one set of moulds. If you are going to tool new wings and new fuselages for the MkII and MkVI, it gets expensive. I suspect a bit of tongue in cheek in the comments Las well. 

My comment at least was dead serious. An extra sprue with a new set of wings, nose and ancillaries won't be a first for AZ/KP and won't add much since you already have the base moulding across multiple versions to spread the costs; Spit 21 comes to mind.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Hawker Tempest Mk.V/VI & Mk.II by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - Mk.V/VI released

Released

- ref. KPM0219 - Tempest Mk.V - Wing Commanders - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10517,cz_tempest-mk.v-wing-commanders-.html

- ref. KPM0220 - Tempest Mk.V - Clostermann - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10518,cz_tempest-mk.v-clostermann-.html

- ref. KPM0221 - Tempest Mk.V - Srs.1 - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10519,cz_tempest-mk.v-series-1.-.html

- ref. KPM0222 - Tempest Mk.V - 486 (NZ) Sqn - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10520,cz_tempest-mk.v-486.-(nz)-sq.html

KPM0219-RUist-.jpg KPM0220-RUist-.jpg

KPM0221-RUist-.jpg KPM0222-RUist-.jpg

V.P.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

The moulding and break down of the fuselage and starboard wing to me definitely points to the Mk II and VI being closely related and using the same moulds plus an extra sprue.

Was going to wait for the Airfix Series 1 Tempest but as this is now planned for 2023 according to the last information I read I'll be opting for the KP kits instead as first impressions are pretty good.

Regards

Colin.

On 7/21/2021 at 3:17 AM, fishplanebeer said:

Was going to wait for the Airfix Series 1 Tempest but as this is now planned for 2023 according to the last information I read I'll be opting for the KP kits instead as first impressions are pretty good.

Downsized version of Eduard's 1/48 kit will be released sooner than later by Special Hobby. Both Eduard and Special Hobby announced "surprise 1/72 new kit" for autumn and this can be whole family of Tempests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2021 at 2:17 AM, fishplanebeer said:

Regards

Colin.

2023 you say: that's over 18 months ahead.  Do you perhaps mean 2022?

Hi Folks,

So Hannants have the new KP Tempest Mk.V in stock; 486 Sqn Jimmy Sheddon's plane etc.

Has anyone seen the sprues yet? Any good? And what (big question for me) what are the decals like?

Thanks!

58 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Hi Folks,

So Hannants have the new KP Tempest Mk.V in stock; 486 Sqn Jimmy Sheddon's plane etc.

Has anyone seen the sprues yet? Any good? And what (big question for me) what are the decals like?

Thanks!

Good evening Johnson

Here is an open box I made on a French forum

https://master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117608

And the pics concerning the 486 Sqn box

210722075556183088.jpg

210722075556709899.jpg

210722075556503351.jpg

A few days aog I started to build the Clostermann aircraft

Patrice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Here is an open box I made on a French forum

https://master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117608

And the pics concerning the 486 Sqn box

Good evening Patrice,

Many thanks for posting the sprue shots and decals.

The parts look good.

The decals look OK. The colours seem right and the registration looks fine. But KP haven't exactly gone to town on them. There aren't many there, even the basic stencils would have been nice. I suppose one could always try to find stencils. These days we expect slightly more?

Anyway, I look forward to following your Pierre Clostermann build.

Merci beaucoup!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Johnson said:

Good evening Patrice,

Many thanks for posting the sprue shots and decals.

The parts look good.

The decals look OK. The colours seem right and the registration looks fine. But KP haven't exactly gone to town on them. There aren't many there, even the basic stencils would have been nice. I suppose one could always try to find stencils. These days we expect slightly more?

Anyway, I look forward to following your Pierre Clostermann build.

Merci beaucoup!

Good morning Charlie 

You're welcome and thank you for your support ..

Yes the parts look good but when it come to the fitting ...well KP is not Tamiya but that is the fun of modelling after all .. 

I agree with you Kp should have provided some basic stencils .. 

Best regards 

Patrice 

• Like 2

On 21/07/2021 at 03:17, fishplanebeer said:

The moulding and break down of the fuselage and starboard wing to me definitely points to the Mk II and VI being closely related and using the same moulds plus an extra sprue.

Regards

Colin.

Good afternoon Colin 

I would like to know where did you read his info about the Airfix Tempest being delayed until 2023...

Best Regards

Patrice  

22 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I would like to know where did you read his info about the Airfix Tempest being delayed until 2023...

I don't think so:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235086430-172-hawker-tempest-mk-v-by-airfix-release-autumn-2021/&do=findComment&comment=4145975

V.P.

• Like 1

- Although there has been plenty of pre-release information eg Box Art, for Tempest V and ll, I've yet to find anything for Tempest Vl .  Has anyone seen anything?  The website seems not to have a 'future releases' section and Hannants don't list a ll, though one can be confidently expected.

- There will clearly be a separate sprue for the engine, prop etc for the Tempest ll, but can the Vl be built 'direct' from the V kit or will it too require a separate sprue?  Difficult to tell from published pictures of V sprues.

As previously mentioned Hannants have the Airfix Tempest as being expected in spring 2023 and I've not seen or heard any actual update from Airfix themselves so who knows?

I did query this with Airfix yesterday along with the new Mosquito and they were unable top provide any further information on the former but confirmed that the latter will be available from the 31st August.

Re' the KP Tempest the sprue shots earlier in this thread of the V clearly show the starboard wing with a cut out corresponding to where the wing leading edge intake would be on the VI and the II so another sprue containing the intake along with all the other mods required  seems most likely.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 2

I'm absolutely no expert on the Tempest so what are the differences between the V and the later VI and II other than the engine and wing leading edge intake? To my very untrained eye when looking at the scale plans I have apart from these two exceptions all three appear to be the same which might explain why KP may use a base set of moulds plus an extra sprue for the engine and leading edge intake as required.

Regards

Colin.

The MkVI, as well as having a different mark of Sabre engine and the extra intakes also had a tropical filter on the the centre section behind the radiator fairing and I think the radiator matrix itself was changed as the oil cooler intake was now in the wing leading edge. Desert survival gear was also fitted 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, in which case it sounds as if by making the break just forward of the fuselage (see sprue shots) KP will be able to use the same mould and then just include the relevant nose/engine parts to achieve all three versions, along with the relevant starboard wing section to include or exclude the intake for the II and VI.

Regards

Colin.

Just to add, if KP do their usual thing and just add the extra II and VI parts to the V base kit you could end up with some useful spares as well.

All of this said as the SH/Eduard kits are looking as if they could be out in the autumn I'll hold off on both KP and Airfix and go for them instead as I have e feeling they will probably be a step up. If they are anything like their P40 (SH) and Spitfire (Eduard) kits they should be a treat.

Regards

Colin.

Good evening all

I am currently building the KP Tempest Mk V https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235096288-kp-hawker-tempest-le-grand-charles-flt-pierre-closterman/&tab=comments#comment-4145532   https://master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117608 

I don' t know when KP will release the Mk II / VI  but I confirm that there are no extra parts in the Mk V boxes to build a Mk VI ...

I would be very happy if SH/Eduard will release their kits in the autumn but I hope that they will take their time to do a good job..

I am also looking forward to see the Airfix kit ..

Time will tell ..

Best regards

Best

• Like 2