1/72 - Hawker Tempest Mk.V/VI & Mk.II by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - released - P.1027 Tempest conversion by Freightdog Models

Homebee

Don't know.... from one side I should be happy to see a new range of Tempest kits that will include the Mk.VI in particular... yes, there's the Matchbox kit that I have in the stash and can be turned into a decent model but lacks the filter behind the radiator, reason why a proper Mk.VI kit complete of all parts is something I really want to see.

On the other hand I wonder if AZ/KP will do a proper job here or if they will rush to beat the local competition with a rough product, as they did with the Siai 260. I can understand that in the end every company has all the rights to issue subjects that will bring them revenues and hitting the market before the competition is a way to guarantee sales... at the same time as a customer I'm starting to feel a bit sick of this approach, more so when it results in poor kits and I'd rather see companies trying to offer good kits of different subjects rather than fighting this way over the same subject. Now with the Tempest this is a bit more understandable as there's sure room for a number of kits, but for others the market is not always large enough.

Said that I will not buy this kit before having seen a few good reviews. I did this for the Siai as in the end I wanted to compare the two kits, but I'll wait for the Tempest. If KP get it right then I'll get me a Mk.VI for sure, if not I'll happily wait for SH

• Like 3

Its always curious when KP/AZ &c announce then rush out a model announced by SH - I think its well known they don't get on!

That said I have built many AZ models and have a few KP's in the stash and I dont think they're as bad as all that - they do require work and filler but can turn out very nicely and oftentimes they are the only version of a particular airframe available.... I'm still hoping AZ follow up their lovely Taylor Titches with a  1/72 Flying Flea, Evans Volksplane, Auster J/1 series or an Pietenpol Aircamper!

TT

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT

3 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Don't know.... from one side I should be happy to see a new range of Tempest kits that will include the Mk.VI in particular... yes, there's the Matchbox kit that I have in the stash and can be turned into a decent model but lacks the filter behind the radiator, reason why a proper Mk.VI kit complete of all parts is something I really want to see.

On the other hand I wonder if AZ/KP will do a proper job here or if they will rush to beat the local competition with a rough product, as they did with the Siai 260. I can understand that in the end every company has all the rights to issue subjects that will bring them revenues and hitting the market before the competition is a way to guarantee sales... at the same time as a customer I'm starting to feel a bit sick of this approach, more so when it results in poor kits and I'd rather see companies trying to offer good kits of different subjects rather than fighting this way over the same subject. Now with the Tempest this is a bit more understandable as there's sure room for a number of kits, but for others the market is not always large enough.

Said that I will not buy this kit before having seen a few good reviews. I did this for the Siai as in the end I wanted to compare the two kits, but I'll wait for the Tempest. If KP get it right then I'll get me a Mk.VI for sure, if not I'll happily wait for SH

Good afternoon Enzo

I  agree with you I  think that the competition between AZ/KP and SH is a not a good thing if in the end the customer buy a kit with issues , I think that they should take the time to produce good kits and complete for instance one company do the Tempest Mk II/VI and the other the Mk V but unfortunately that will never happen and we end up with several companies that produce a Spit Mk V and none a Spit Mk XIV ...

Patrice

Sour grapes - instead of splitting up the Tempest pie three ways among them, why couldn't one of them be really imaginative and release a series of - yes, you guessed it - Yak-9/VK-105s, or I-16s? Or both? :whistle:

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Welcome, think I will be picking up the II, though the V airfix will be my choice. 

Based on their recent tracl record, the Airfix kit will sure have one big advantage: the decals ! Decals in Airfix kits of the last few years have been excellent, both in printing and film quality (Cartograf is a guarantee) and in the completeness of the sheets, with all stencils nicely reproduced. IMHO Airfix decal sheets today are among the very best, real top tier stuff

Recent AZ/KP decals on the other hand are less than impressive, I bought a few kits from them in the last few months of last year and all had heavily pixelated colours, something that today is IMHO not acceptable. It is strange and I found this unexpected as decal sheets in their older kits had always been pretty good. Hopefully it's something that they will sort soon

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Recent AZ/KP decals on the other hand are less than impressive, I bought a few kits from them in the last few months of last year and all had heavily pixelated colours, something that today is IMHO not acceptable. It is strange and I found this unexpected as decal sheets in their older kits had always been pretty good. Hopefully it's something that they will sort soon

Especially surprising, considering that Jan Polc's other job/side hustle is Avalon Decals.

John

On 14/01/2021 at 15:02, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I must be dreaming no new Tempest kits for ages and this year we will have all the marks ..

It is really amazing and I am looking forward to it. In my view, it could be expected that Airfix as a major British manufacturer would release a new-tool Tempest sooner or later and of course that version would be a Mk V given its WW-2 service and the fact it brought down the V-1s and Luftwaffe jets. That a new Mk II and, for the first time since the 1970s Matchbox kit, a Mk VI will also be released is indeed great news.

Edited by 112 Squadron

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Hawker Tempest Mk.V/VI & Mk.II by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - box art+schemes - release May 2021

I see Humbrol colours are being quoted, with 30 being given for the upper camo green. Is 30 still that funny bluish green or has it been changed to the proper shade of dark green?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

I see Humbrol colours are being quoted, with 30 being given for the upper camo green. Is 30 still that funny bluish green or has it been changed to the proper shade of dark green?

I'm not aware of Humbrol changing it, but then again I stopped buying them because they became so inconsistent, so you could end up with a tin of it which is close to the right shade or closer to zinc chromate green! 🤪 I opened a new tin of 24 trainer yellow recently and when fully mixed it was more like yellow zinc chromate! ( Maybe they have improved quality I haven't bought any for a couple of years ).

13 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Didn't see that, then again, I never take too much notice of kit colour calls but prefer to do my own finding out what is correct if possible. AZ\KP have been quoting Hu 30 as RAF Dark Green for yonks now, afaik, it is still much the same shade, as much as any two batches were anyway, Hu 116 matt or 163 satin are much better choices, but you all knew that anyway, right? :D

Steve.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

So, let’s get to the important release - the MkII 😊 When will we see that? 

Agree, Ive been on the market for Mk. II and it seems to have the decals I want too. 

1 hour ago, reini said:

Agree, Ive been on the market for Mk. II and it seems to have the decals I want too. 

:) I'm not interested in the clunky Mk.V. If I was to build one it wold be Indian ;)

Martin

• Like 1

What do I do now with my two stashed Matchbox kits? I’ve built a Mk.VI already but that was quite a pain to get it right. Then again it was fun, but I’m really looking forward to these non Mk.V versions. Does anyone know what decal options will be included? 
Cheers.. Dave 

40 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Does anyone know what decal options will be included? 

A 6 sqn machine in Middle East camo. :unsure:, yeah I know, it'd be a whif but I'd be tempted all the same. :)

Steve.

On 1/15/2021 at 11:46 PM, John Thompson said:

Especially surprising, considering that Jan Polc's other job/side hustle is Avalon Decals.

John

He was (until recently) involved in design for schemes. Not the printing per se.

Good morning

As far as I am concerned  I will wait to see pictures of the sprues  and even the first builds  before buying this kit because I was quite disappointed with their Mustang and the lack of fuel tanks that were sold separately , I hope that  KP wil not  do the same with the Tempest ....

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 1