Back into modelling after 55 years, need paint advice please !

Tyke

1 hour ago, Ed Russell said:

For most WW2 aircraft the sequence should be 1. wash to remove fingerprints etc, 2. paint, 3. high gloss (Future or equivalent - looking at the MSDS, as @Black Knight suggests is a good idea), 4. decals 5, matt varnish. Some people do it 4. decals, 5 more Future (to seal the decals) 6. matt varnish.

Great thanks a lot !

1 hour ago, Ed Russell said:

. Some people do it 4. decals, 5 more Future (to seal the decals) 6. matt varnish.

Another gloss coat after the decals potentially for any weathering/panel line washes...followed by matt coat...

• Like 2

Bit late to the party, though getting back to the paints, Tamiya is definitely no the best paint to be applied by brush.  I would recommend you to try paints from Hataka Blue Line instead - they are specifically designed for brush painting. Recently I used them to paint smaller parts in my Stuka build and was very happy with the results. I have never used them to paint large surfaces but heard and read a lot of positive comments and opinions. 

In most cases mat varnish (I applying diluted acrylic by Vallejo using brush, but any other especially from rattle can) solve the problem of uneven hue/shine of black cover

Edited by JWM