Kawasaki KH250-B3/B4

Mumbly

6 hours ago, silver911 said:

Coming on a treat mate...especially like the wheels...really do look the part 👍

Ron

Thanks Ron, 

I took a punt by leaving the chrome on the rims as I normally hate kit chrome, but I am pleased it worked better than I expected. So much so, that I will keep the exhausts chromed as well.  The rest (and there are a lot of chrome parts) are going for a swim in some bleach soon.

I am working on the centre stand and side stands, trying to work out how to get some springs on them, so hope to get an update out soon.

11 minutes ago, Mumbly said:

Thanks Ron, 

I took a punt by leaving the chrome on the rims as I normally hate kit chrome, but I am pleased it worked better than I expected. So much so, that I will keep the exhausts chromed as well.  The rest (and there are a lot of chrome parts) are going for a swim in some bleach soon.

I am working on the centre stand and side stands, trying to work out how to get some springs on them, so hope to get an update out soon.

Any of these any good for stands mate?.....https://prime-miniatures.co.uk/catalog/springs-miniature

I have been working on the frame.  Specifically the side and centre stand. 

On 1/27/2021 at 12:46 AM, silver911 said:

Any of these any good for stands mate?.....https://prime-miniatures.co.uk/catalog/springs-miniature

I had looked at these, but I had some Top Studio exhaust springs which are perfect, it was a case of how to attach them.  I mentioned elsewhere insect pins, and these are perfect for spring lugs.  Also use of a dress makers pinhead to lock the side stand and we are good to go.  I was in two minds about making the seat hinge, and am still unsure.  I will have a go at making some hinges before I decide.

Engine is all done, crank case sides are finished, but I need to finish the cables before they get attached.  Also have to finish the wheels off with the disc and the tyre valves.

Some pics to finish.

spacer.png

spacer.png

y4mwon8u0kW2ZHlXF_MwD4QuIH_9yR0lZUcHDJrs

Thanks for looking.

Tony

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello

Added some details that won't be seen in the form of the helmet holders.  Added the bracket and bolt for the tacho cable to be supported as well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The engine bolts have also been removed and will be replaced by some Masterclub bolts.  So, frame is assembled, engine mounted, battery in and centre stand.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Final section of the rear mudguard and then the coils and top frame beam.

This is kit is a really good kit, and I assume that the other recent releases are of the same standard.  I have just seen that they have released a TZR250 which I desperatley wanted back in the day...

Thanks for looking.

Tony

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There is some lovely detailing work going on here Tony.

I will  need to follow this build.

It brings back memories of the old days when a friend of mine bought a race prepped H1 500.

Unfortunately it didn't come with a seat so we strapped it bit of foam on so that I could test ride it. Possibly the worst bike I've ever ridden yet one of the most exciting rides with that evil power band and poor ground clearance.

Happy days.

Wayne

17 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

There is some lovely detailing work going on here Tony.

I will  need to follow this build.

It brings back memories of the old days when a friend of mine bought a race prepped H1 500.

Unfortunately it didn't come with a seat so we strapped it bit of foam on so that I could test ride it. Possibly the worst bike I've ever ridden yet one of the most exciting rides with that evil power band and poor ground clearance.

Happy days.

Wayne

How could I have forgotten about the ground clearance, the alternator cover hitting the deck if you were brave or going too fast for the bend.  Not good memories.  These were wide bikes.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

Steady progress has been made, only I forgot to take any photos - my bad.

So far, I have added the top frame spar with coils which I scratch built as the kit ones were not how I remembered.  Suffice to say, they are not visible and would have been easier to fit if I had kept the originals.  More noticeable additions now include the following: rear mudguard, tacho cable with heat shield spring, rear swing arm/brake and chain.  In the Hobby Design PE, they included a new chain, but as most of the chain is hidden I decided to keep the Hasegawa one and try some carving to make it look better - this is much harder than it looks, so will take a bit of practise, but I have some spare chains to try again.  The kit chain looks fine IMO, if it was more visible, I think I would have used the PE.  Other aspects of the PE set are also a bit unnecessary, and to me, are there as they could not think of what else to add.  So, I am only using the wheel adjusters from the PE set.

Next on the list are the rear suspension shocks.  These are moulded, and they have been well done, but I will rebuild with springs.  I have also discovered Mr Hobby Super Metallic 2, specifically their Super Chrome Silver 2, this is not AK or Alclad chrome level, but it is perfect for the chrome finish on things like the kickstart, rear levers etc, plus it being enamel (I think) it is really hardwearing, which for a chrome finish is good news.

Another benefit to making a road bike from the 70s, is the centre stand.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

Tony

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2021 at 7:07 PM, Marco F. said:

Oh yes.,a real good process so far, a real good build, looking forward for the next pics 

Marco F 

Happy to oblige Marco

Spring has sprung, well nearly, its bleeding freezing outside today.  However, rear suspension is on.  There are many unused parts on this kit, as they are used on the KH400 which from memory was pretty much identical to the 250, apart from the obvious.  This does mean that I can use these parts when I choose and the rear shocks are a case in point.  For the 250, the ones used are with reflectors which we never had in the UK.  In fact, no side reflectors were ever fitted.  So, the more elegant 400 springs are to be used. 

As I mentioned before, they are one-piece moulded units all chromed up.  So, bleach time and rebuild time.  Springs removed and damper unit from some 2.4mm Evergreen tube, damper rod is some 1mm alloy tube and the spring is some antique silver-plated wire that I borrowed from my wife's jewellery making stash wound round a self-tapping screw.  Built and painted with some Mr Colour Super Metallic again - this is getting some heavy use now and I am becoming a fanboy for it. 

This is what the original spring is like.

spacer.png

These are not bad, but as I spoked the wheels, I could not leave these like this, so the new units look this to start with:

spacer.png

And fitted and painted with the original for comparison:

spacer.png

And its buddy:

spacer.png

Next on the map is the exhausts.  I am keeping them chrome as there is little wrong with them and Hasegawa have been very clever with how they attached them to the sprues.  What I am doing though is painting some of the bracketry with the super metallic as this will break up the overwhelming complete chrome from the box.  These are two pairs with the chrome removed and masked waiting for some warmer weather.  These should be on soon and then it is the front end.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking again.

Tony

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Exhausts fitted, not much more to add than that.  Front end is next up, so back soon with an update.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Tony

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I have been waiting for this stuff to arrive (sorry about the flash bounce):

spacer.png

I have seen it used quite a bit on the YouTube videos from Japan so had to try it myself.  Trouble is, you have to import it from Japan as it is not sold in the UK.  Not sure why, and the same is true with many other bits that are available in the Trytool range.  It was not that expensive and HobbyLink Japan are really excellent, they have most of the Racers magazines as well, so worth a look.

Anyway, these are the forks painted and foiled, ready to go on:

spacer.png

Two wheels on 😊.  I have also got the oil tank in since the photo was taken, and the foot pegs / controls / bodywork is in varying stages of prime and to be masked.

spacer.png

y4mxbj_u4JsrwZ6APEHjb52_lqo3b95NgZBiZm50

Next instalment should be looking like a KH250.  What does surprise me is how long and low it is, no wonder why they never liked the bendy bits on the road.

Thanks for looking.

Tony

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Mumbly said:

What does surprise me is how long and low it is, no wonder why they never liked the bendy bits on the road.

That, and a flexi-frame that held everything together but really wasn't designed to be rigid like modern frames.

The model is really coming together and starting to look like a proper mini-KH.

1 hour ago, Natter said:

That, and a flexi-frame that held everything together but really wasn't designed to be rigid like modern frames.

The model is really coming together and starting to look like a proper mini-KH.

Yeah, I am sure that the frame on mine was made from boiled rhubarb.  Front brake was made from mahogany.   In Italy, they called the 750 the "bara volante" or flying coffin, not sure what they called the KH as I don't know what Italian for bendy is.

Tony

• Haha 2

Happy days . . .

My brother had the rare (?) bronze KH250  and I had the Red one.

I had a full racing kit on mine, full fairing, dropped handlebars and rear set peddles.

I later moved onto the Z1R 900

Just been looking for the photos but its been a while since I had them to hand.

Who didnt love the kwacker triple that oozes out smoke especially when you put Redex in the tank. 

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this build having just read it through, . . .

I might just have to have a look out for that kit  

Carry on the EXCELLENT progress 

rgds

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Happy days . . .

My brother had the rare (?) bronze KH250  and I had the Red one.

I had a full racing kit on mine, full fairing, dropped handlebars and rear set peddles.

I later moved onto the Z1R 900

Just been looking for the photos but its been a while since I had them to hand.

Who didnt love the kwacker triple that oozes out smoke especially when you put Redex in the tank. 

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this build having just read it through, . . .

I might just have to have a look out for that kit  

Carry on the EXCELLENT progress 

rgds

Ian

It was the era for Candy paint schemes.  I think the bronze could have been their Candy Gold or Candy Orange.  The red was either Candy Super Red or Candy Persimmon Red.  I am going for Candy Cobalt Blue. 

I owned several Kawasakis, but never a lime green one and I had the choice when I bought my only new one when I got a ZXR400, but went for the blue instead.

Tony

Please dont judge me but on a FULL motorbike licence one could drive a three wheel Reliant Robin and the girlfriend thought it would be nice if she could get dressed up with a nice frock and hair-do . . .

I painted the Robin in Kawasaki Lime green and had Black panels in there as well.  🙃

When you have finished laughing, the best thing was that the Robin drove like a car, three pedals, rear view mirror, size etc so when it came to my driving test; five lessons later and I paszed FIRST time . . . 😎

• Like 2

Hello

Small update – foot pegs and levers and pedals on and the bodywork has the first layers of blue.  Have to say, I am a fan of these Mr. Colour paints, this is just called Metallic Blue, but it covers amazingly and is not over scale as some metallics can go. It is also pretty close to the original IMO, and with the white go slower strips and name on the tank will look bang on.

One nice aspect of this kit is the number of details that are provided for bits that are not seen.  For instance, the tank is complete with an underside, the bolt heads on the insides of the frame and body work are there and the seat has a base.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

Tony

• Like 8

If my KH looked this clean, I would never have sold it.  Mine was a grubby white with the newer block stripes and non-italic font but I did pay only £100 for 3 of them, 2 were dismantled and 1 intact but not a runner.  The original tank that should have been on my eventual runner was this blue, and I think with the same lettering, but it had an argument with some road furniture so could not be used.  This build is really a great trip down memory lane, but I never wanted an original spec, Allspeeds and clip-ons, ahh the folly of youth.

I had to remove an annoying hairline seam that I thought I had dealt with on the tank, so this required a repaint, and also needed to adjust the opening for the fuel cap - it appears to be the only thing Hasegawa has got wrong IMO.

Go slower stripes, rear brightworks and the instruments are all done.  Chrome trim on the speedo / tacho is some adhesive aluminium tape cut fine.  Top gloss coat is Mr. Color Super Clear III, just so I can use their self-levelling thinners, and for the first time, no orange peel.

I have on order with Hiroboy the re-issue Suzuki RG250 MkII Gamma from Tamiya just to bookend my 250 owner history in 1/12th scale.  No idea when that will turn up, probably delayed in the Suez ;).  It will be interesting to have them side by side to see how much nearly 20 years bike development makes in terms of size etc. 

Anyway, some pictures:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Tony

Edited by Mumbly
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, Mumbly said:

Allspeeds and clip-ons, ahh the folly of youth.

You can almost hear the 'yyyyying t'ting ting ting' as the rider blasts down the straights and then snicks down the box as he/she brakes for the corner... praying they'll get round as they do.

Really looking great Tony.