Kiwi Skyhawk A-4K 1/48 Hasegawa

Well time suddenly flies and Enzo has opened the 2021 GB book already.  I'm keen on this GB as it involves my NZ theme. I have had the A-4K in my stash since I lived in the Land or the Long White Cloud, 20 years ago. I'll build it now in memory of Andy as it was his Avatar here on BM.

The kit is unopened and untouched but there is no sign of the set of Geko Graphics decals I got at the same time. On a positive note I have 2 resin seats in the box. I'm not sure which is correct so that will be the first job when we start. 

20210112_220243

20210112_220307

Colin

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Very nice choice Colin... I wish I had kept mine as a K. I built it as an E and traded the associated parts for decals. I regret the decision now but it is what it is. I will attempt to convert an E/F into a K in @modelling minion’s Scooter build later in the spring. 

• Like 2

OMG!!!!! :yikes:

do you know how rare that wee beast is......you could almost get a small fortune for it on evilBay!!!

That model was meant to cone with an additional extra "AM" parts, white metal antennas? Are you about to photograph them, am interested to see what they look like, and are they just replacements for plastic bits or unique bits for the "K".

• Like 1

Hi Rich,

When these were released everyone in Auckland IPMS had one so we thought they were common. I only heard they were rare a little while ago.  After 19 years in my stash and circumnavigating the world a few times its a shame to let someone else have the fun of building it. I didnt realise there was any white metal in the kit until your comment above so I had a look and yes there are 5 pewter parts. One is a small antenae for the spine, 2 are the wing tip sensors and another 2 are the fin top blades. All are used in the post Kahu version. There is no PE.

Heres a picture of the clear sprue and the metal parts. I think the metal parts are something you should be able to build or modify from the parts bin. Having never built another A-4 in 50 years of modelling I dont know if there is anything unusual on the clear sprue??

20210121_200604

20210121_200619

Colin

• Like 3

thanks for that, awesome!!! :thumbsup:

seeing I'm building a the original version I won't need to worry about them.

I could easily see this model going for over $100USD on evilBay, and probably more, especially seeing some of the comments from people looking for this model in other forums. Though I suspect most don't realize you can use the almost as rare e/F versions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The seat you want is the Escapac seat on the left. The unpainted resin one is a Martin Baker seat that would never have fitted in the cockpit of an A-4K.

Although this comes with white metal parts for the exterior of the aircraft in post kahu configuration, it doesn't have any cockpit parts needed for the conversion. There is no HUD and the IP is just the standard kit A-4E panel, rather than the upgraded post kahu one with MFDs. You can build it out of the box accurately using the early SEA scheme decals included.

• Like 1

Well after a long battle with demons I have finally finished the Dassault SMB5 Mystere for the Interceptors GB and made a start on this over the weekend. I have never had a 'shelf of doom' so prefer to hammer through until they are done. Or chucked in the bin if its a Special Hobby RF4 Helicopter).

This A4 will be in the middle scheme used by the RNZAF when I emigrated to the Islands back in 1996,  It will be a Kahu bird with the green green grey camo. So far I have painted the interiors of the intakes and behind the splitter plates in the camo colours and fitted them. Actually this is a superb kit as the intakes clipped into place and just needed a touch of glue to hold them in. The cockpit and engie exhaust have been done and fitted.

20210131_150825

On 1/30/2021 at 10:40 AM, CharlieNZ said:

The seat you want is the Escapac seat on the left.

I fully agree, Unfortunately the seat is about 2mm wider than the tub so Ill have to use the kit seat. Mind you the size of the canopy glazing is small enough to prevent anyone even seeing the seat!

I'll mod the panel and add a HUD as the build progresses

Colin

• Like 9

Had a bit of time this week so joined the fuselage and next I knew the whole thing was done.

Some parts clicked together beautifully but some filler was needed around the rear fuselage and on the spine.

20210204_104418

• Like 10

Nice one Colin,.... a nice way to remember Andy and I`ll be following this one as I still have my kit in the stash and as it is outside my comfort zone I`ll need all the help I can! Looking great so far,.... are you definitely going for the original colour scheme? I fancy the one on the box lid myself,.... since I first saw this scheme I`ve wanted to model it. I`d like to build an Andover in this scheme too!

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this - it's rekinded an old enthusiasm 

I loved family trips though the Ohakea area inthe mid seventies- 75 Squadron seemed to do a lot of flying with such a small number of machines as there always seemed to be something in the air, or taxying. I  remember getting a hell of a surpise in the late seventies or early eighties somewhere near Mangaweka, when a pair of Skyhawks came around a bluff on the river so low and so fast that there was no real warning of their arrival.     

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've done quite a bit of the final scheme for the Skyhawk and started the decals. The scheme was quite difficult to mask as there is almost no tonal variation between the colours and even in good light its quite hard to see the pattern. Quite a good comouflage really!

20210217_143315 20210217_143353

Finishing the decals now then undercarriage to add.

I'll save the refuelling probe until last!

• Like 10

After quite a bit of final assembly I present the A-4K Skyhawk, Number 2 squadron RNZAF at Ohakia in 1998.

This was really from the box as the resin seat I had was too big to fit. Only the nose weight and seat belts were added to the kit. The Colour scheme is 2 tone green and dark grey using Mr Colour 301, 303 and 309. The scheme was quite difficult to mask as there is almost no tonal variation between the colours and even in good light its quite hard to see the pattern. Quite a good camouflage really! Masking was done almost completely with rubber glue.

Undercarriage is USN Mr Colour white 316. 

Final assembly did present a few problems with conflict between the wing tanks and the undercarriage doors. On the plus side the aerials were all a positive fit and the decals went on very well despite their 20+ years age.

Finally Im very pleased with this as a very enjoyable kit to build. 

20210222_144912

20210222_144951

20210222_145138

20210222_145109

20210222_145230

Hope you enjoyed this build as much as I did. I'm off to Egypt next in the Africa Group Build.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent result Colin

can I ask a quick favour please? Could you measure the length and diameter of the wingtip RWRs please - I think the ones I’ve printed are too big.

17 hours ago, zebra said:

Excellent result Colin

can I ask a quick favour please? Could you measure the length and diameter of the wingtip RWRs please - I think the ones I’ve printed are too big.

Hi

These are pretty small

Length 7.2mm

width of body 1.75mm

diameter of head 2.1mm

head length 2.5mm

depth taper from 2.5mm to zero down the 4.7mm length

Colin

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Colin W said:

Hi

These are pretty small