Heller Caudron-Renault 714, the Wooden Blunder

I built this in the current Heller GB here on BM, WIP below

This build is dedicated to those brave Polish pilots of Polish Warsaw Squadron, the Groupe de Chase Polonaise 1/145 On 18 May 1940, 35 Caudrons were delivered.

Despite being ordered not to fly these as they were so underpowered, instead they continued flying a fighter hopelessly outdated compared to the Messerschmitt Bf 109E, the Polish pilots scored 12 confirmed and three unconfirmed victories in three battles between 8 June and 11 June, losing nine in the air and nine more on the ground. Among the aircraft shot down were four Dornier Do 17 bombers, and also three Messerschmitt Bf 109 and five Messerschmitt Bf 110 fighters. 

Despite looking a bit of an ugly duckling, the design has grown on me during construction.

I hope you like it

Cheers Pat

IMG_5333

IMG_5334

IMG_5335

IMG_5336

• Like 24

Hi Pat,

congrats on a great result!

This is a small and graceful kit, but that can be quite tricky in places.

To make matters worse, the paint scheme is very particular to the Caudron and adds to the difficulty.

All in all, your model is smashing!

JR

• Thanks 1

On 13/01/2021 at 23:26, Pete in a shed said:

Nice one Pat, what a memory jerker. I made this one so many years ago, I liked it then and I like it now. Great little build topped off with the interesting historical background.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete

Really glad you enjoyed this one.

Cheers Pat 

On 14/01/2021 at 12:11, Buzby061 said:

Nice one. Wasn't it developed from a racer?

How long have you had it? Must have been a while looking at the Riko sticker on it!

Pete

Hi Pete

Absolutely spot on it was a racer, so very fast to begin with. Then when all the military kit including weapons started to be added, the engine proved really underpowered and performance suffered significantly. 

Yes I have a lot of kits which I have had for many years. So long in fact there is a danger of them being seen as collectors items rather than ones to build !

Finally getting round to building them, glad you liked this one. 

Cheers Pat 

Definitely a blast from the past ,remember it well as all our local post office sold were Heller kits .l built quite a few kits in the range .

Your rendition is excellent, looks great 👍 

• Like 1