1/72 airfield

Texans

Yes that looks fine.  Some of the HAS sites are on WW2 dispersal hardstandings, either frying pan or spectacle loop.  Plus you can always have a couple of visitors in front plus the HAS occupant.  You can soon get those in

R296Wce86gIMqo3YnzWm2FzlTFCZbYH3L2q0F55E

I was looking at some of the RAF Germany bases to see if there was any HAS with the USAF style blast doors like I have made and  also the  clamshell doors that initially came with @Amera Plastic Mouldings HAS. I have not seen any photos but don't see why would kit be possible. Through in some hard standing for a flight line on another bit of base maybe 

51241623575_9d8d6c942c_b.jpg

Short map hop from The abandoned Bitburg to Spangdahlem and  both types  are in use  so artistic license says could be side by side.    May have buy another HAS now lol.

On a separate note  anyone suggest best 1/72 A10 c 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Texans said:

@bar side   Your 1/48 fuel tanker  do they do in 1/72 that you know of    Looks amazing I have a 1/76 truck but may be too big. Unsure if to mix scale or not 

Hmmm, it’s rare you can get something in 1/48 & not in 1/72 or 1/76.  But I can’t find anything for an R11 or R7 tanker.  Not even a good 1/76 diecast Mack truck to make a R7.  I think shapeways might do a scale up of their 1/144 3D print but that seems to be about it.  Lots of nice Hasegawa & Fujimi ground crew stuff, up to a step van, but not a lot bigger.  I am surprised!

Not exactly American but I know they used to operate  some MAN cab over trucks at lakenheath in early 2000s. Have a 1/76 Model and tanker trailer so green paint but will depend on how looks next to F15     

51241512629_6557e96bce_c.jpg

• Like 1

Been playing about with layout. let me know what y'all think and  any help/ tips appreciated 

51242183108_d655a94466_b.jpg

51243034305_ffe6d14c81_b.jpg

51243034160_2b816d52e7_b.jpg

51241979316_b610d3f0c1_b.jpg

As always thanks for taking time to look and comment 

You could go for a nice curving track running around the edge of the HAS doors & the frying pan could sit directly on the edge of it if you need to compress some space.  Still room for shrubs & tress as seen here at Honington 

NqlGx7M.png

I'm also hoping to create a Mack refueller in roughly 1/72 scale, and I'm hoping to use this;

51246932049_e9ec329ea9_o.jpgCorgi-Super-Juniors-2006-Mack-R-Petrol-Tanker-_1 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

Its a Corgi Super Juniors Mack R series tanker, though I will only be using the cab as the tanker trailer is the wrong shape. For that part, I am intending to try and use the tank part off one of these;

51247229090_6100809d02_o.jpgcorgi kenworth by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

This is a Corgi Truckers Kenworth tanker. No idea how well it will work, but its the closest I've found, plus both things were very cheap off ebay.

• Like 1

Thanks again for the comments 

@bar side I fully intend to add trees to add some  screening and more interest. Like the idea of a looping road around the edge, thinking more vehicle access rather than a taxi way. 

@danbuoy I have seen those on eBay as well    Looks like a awesome idea. Let me know how things go as be interested to follow ya progress. 

I've got quite a few diecast repaints/conversions on the go, turning various roughly 1/72 Matchbox, Hot Wheels etc models into various USAF vehicles, mostly pickups, but also including police cars, ambulances and a school bus, and even a snow plough. Progress well under way with these, but not started anything on the Mack tanker yet, that will require some serious modification work!

• Like 1

Not got that far yet, but will clearly need to extend the chassis for the Mack. Am thinking plasticard may do the trick, as its not particularly heavy. Certainly won't be welding or anything like that. A lot of it will be trial and error as I've never done anything like this before!

That Corgi Mack truck looks good.  You could cut down the tanker trailer too I am sure with a ladder frame between the cab and trailer back wheels.  That’s all I did with mine.  Plasticard and superglue.  You can’t really solder the diecast, but you could use brass & expoxy too.  Don’t forget a pump & hose box behind the cab

xBJFWaW.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that. I'm hoping the boxy structure for the pumping equipment will help to hide the join between the two different models.

Better view of it striped for painting.  It’s not as strong as I would like but it doesn’t have to be a play thing.  Just needs to sit in the background

zDAMf22.jpg

• Like 1

@danbuoy  have taken your advice and also ordered a Mack R from Corgi with tanker trailer in US Army Green  for less than a 5 quid all in from a well know auction site.   Will make a go at a conversion  as well.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all  

so I have now confirmed the layout of how things will look   

51281761625_30662e7e64_b.jpg

the  high walls will actually only be raised groundwork but gives and idea of what trying to achieve   

I have  taken @danbuoy advice on the Mack and from this photo don't think it looks too bad   

51281469239_7896ec7bcb_b.jpg

Scale seems ok in comparison to the HAS and F-15c  

and one finial pic of everything  

51280917453_0eb9ce7169_b.jpg

@bar side thanks  the idea of the hard standing to one side really came out well 

• Like 2

Looks good. The Corgi Super Juniors Mack looks pretty close to 1/72. Is that the tanker part that it came with, but just shortened?

Hi @danbuoy  that's the tanker part from a kenworth like you said about just removed from its chassis.  I have  removed part of the tractor unit  just behind the cab. the  trailer chassis was butchered to salvage the under chassis pump box and the rear crash structure with round rear lights. A box will be made with plasticard to go between cab and tank. Wheels are from a 1/76 Oxford truck model. 

• Like 1

Ah cool, good to know they are a good match size wise. I was going to ask about the wheels, although I'm thinking of using some 3D printed ones I've found.