Kiwi Corsair 1/72.

Hi folk's, I thought it only right as I'm building an Aussie Beaufighter to pay tribute to New Zealand with an entry.

I have a set of mint decals from a past Frog build for the Corsair so as I was ordering something from KK I popped

Hobbyboss easy kit on too it's only a fiver and is actually a great little kit.Photos ASAP.

• Like 4

Afternoon folk's,kit arrived and for a fiver no complaints HB do some lovely panel lines and detail for such inexpensive offering's.

20210116_120851

No seams as such to clean up what there are easily sorted,and in a few minutes you are here.

20210116_122935

U/c doors added and those wheel wells are nicely detailed.Here I have an issue,I found wartime photos of Kiwi aircraft with fuel tanks

fitted as supplied in the kit but I've seen none with the supplied rockets so there may be some large holes to fill.

20210116_123727

• Like 11

6 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Here I have an issue,I found wartime photos of Kiwi aircraft with fuel tanks

fitted as supplied in the kit but I've seen none with the supplied rockets so there may be some large holes to fill

From what I understand the rockets were never carried operationally, only the stubs were mounted post war. Of course I digress to those more knowledgable @LDSModeller but I believe this is accurate. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I found wartime photos of Kiwi aircraft with fuel tanks

fitted as supplied in the kit but I've seen none with the supplied rockets so there may be some large holes to fill.

26 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

From what I understand the rockets were never carried operationally, only the stubs were mounted post war. Of course I digress to those more knowledgable @LDSModeller but I believe this is accurate. 

Hi Steve and Dennis,

The only RNZAF Corsairs that carried rocket stubs (during WWII and Post War) were the 60 odd FG-1D's as in photo below

at Piva, Bouganville

PR7619.t5ebee597.m800.xS6ovgTM8.jpg

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum - Used with permissions)

Steve, I may have a saving grace for you re the rockets and those huge slots.

Looking at your model, it appears to be a F4U-1D, possibly with with blown canopy?

If so you can build as an FG-1D Corsair (really some as F4U-1D)

Circa October 1945 (not long after arriving back in New Zealand) RNZAF Corsairs were inspected by  Air Vice Marshall (RNZAF) Isitt

at RNZAF Station Ardmore (South of Auckland), these Corsairs were FG-1D's carrying Rockets on the stubs

see link below - note also the RNZAF Pacific Roundel on wing

RNZAF FG-1D with Rockets Post WWII

This link shows Rockets being fired at firing range in New Zealand by above Corsairs

RNZAF FG-1D firing Rockets

Instead of doing a WWII version you can build a Post war Corsair?

Hope that helps you?

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Good choice Steve, but you are supposed to wait for the 23rd before flash kicks in. Just kidding looks like a good kit for you. 

Hell, thanks Greg I never noted the start date as usually it's only a week after opening up for entries  that the GB start's!

13 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

nstead of doing a WWII version you can build a Post war Corsair?

Great info Alan many thanks I need to see the decal sheet to see whats on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folk's,I had to resort to hand painting the white using Vajjejo which I prefer to Tamiya when brushing as it's all I have at the 

moment and never seem to be able to spray it without a disaster!

20210128_200955

Then I just brushed the blue gray too rather than get the airbrush out  after leaving the gloss to dry overnight it was time to decal up.

20210128_200924

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Looks terrific Steve, you have probably finished this already knowing you  !

Cheers Pat 

Ha not quite Pat with the Beaufighter done I'll be cracking on!

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Steve

Your lovely Corsair was virtually finished when we last heard from you, any progress  ?

Cheers Pat 

just a few bits to do Pat still on course for a finish.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folk's,this has sat on the back burner of late but hope to finish her this weekend canopy to paint and weathering to do now.

20210402_154758

• Like 4