F16CJ Block50 77th Fighter Squadron "Gamblers" colors and decals

dimimate

Hi.

After twenty years  away from scale modelling (all of my aircrafts were destroyed)  i decided to come back to the hobby with an 1/72  Tamiya F-16CJ Block 50 Fully equipment however i need some info which still wasn't able to find on the net.

Couple of weeks a go i was reading the book "Viper Pilot: A Memoir of Air Combat" by Dan "Two Dogs" Hampton which i really enjoyed. Few days later i received Tamiya F-16CJ Block 50 Fully equipment as Xmas present. I am so happy because the specific version (CJ - Weasels) is what "Two Dogs" used to flight AND i went mad  when i noticed that there are PE Decals of  77th Fighter Squadron "Gamblers" which was his squad when he was operating in Iraq 2003.

My excitement didn't last long since i figured out that  77th Fighter Squadron squadron PE Decals where available only for 1/32 scales of this Kit. 

I spent hours on google and youtube but yet again i wasn't able to figure out the following:

1. True Colours of 77th Fighter Squadron of  F-16CJ Block 50 deployed in Iraq 2003. What are the colour codes to buy them?
2. Decals of 77th Gamblers for 1/72 scale. Are there any out there, if not m is there a chance to print them?

I would appreciate if someone could point me to any sort of resource for the above.

ps.1 I know i could have skip the whole part up until "I spent hours on google" but just felt to share my excitement. 
ps.2 Twenty years ago didnt knew the terms Priming , Acrylic, airbrushes ... wtf has happened ...

• Like 1

Hi,

That's a really good book.  Well written and a good read.

F-16.net is a great resource for everything F-16, including units, photos, etc.

I googled on the site and came up with this: https://www.f-16.net/searchresults.html?q=77FS%20. 

The only 1/72 decals I've seen are the ones in the Hasegawa F-16C Block 50.  I have the kit; I'll need to look and see what it has.

Sorry I can't help you more!

Tom

48 minutes ago, dimimate said:

Thanks a lot for your replies. Indeed the decals are in extinction however i managed to find a person who had a spare sheet. Negotiation now starts. 

Excellent! Glad to have set you on the scent. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2021 at 2:47 AM, dimimate said:

Thanks a lot for your replies. Indeed the decals are in extinction however i managed to find a person who had a spare sheet. Negotiation now starts. 

If your negotiation fails contact me by PM and I should be able to help.

Cheers

Phil Hastie

Canberra, "The Nation's Capital"

Australia

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately the guy who was planning to send me the decals (TwoBobs 72-033) hasnt contacted me for quite some time . Hope he is well because we had nice communication so at some point i started thinking that something might happened to him 😕

Still no luck finding this decal so @draggie748 is your offer still valid?

I was also thinking if one could scan the sheet and i just find someone/some store to print it for me. The other alternative is to start learning how to make custom decals on my own. I have studied a few posts and looks like it requires some effort.

I don't know whether or not you've already found an answer to your first question regarding colors, but the photos (and profile) at F-16.net show absolutely standard camouflage of FS 36270 and FS 36118, both widely available. The nose cones are varying shades of gray from slightly- to much darker than the 36270 owing to their being unpainted fiberglass that tended to darken as it aged.

It's a pity you aren't doing the project in 1/48 scale since Speed Hunter Graphics makes a sheet devoted to wild weasels with markings for three 77th FS planes. I plan to use it for my Tamiya CJ at some point.

@Seawinder Thanks for the info about the colors. Indeed i was able to figure out the two-tone FS36118/FS36270 but i wasnt aware of the variation on the nose cone.

Regarding the decals i literally ordered the ones you mention  five minutes ago! What a coincidence.... So far i thought that these decals where only available by Twobobs and Authentic Decals however by pure luck i stumbled on Speed Hunter Graphics and instantly ordered them. Hope there wont be any issues with the postage.

I know these are 1/48 but i was thinking maybe i could scan them, scale them down and then find a store to print them. Iv been reading lately about DIY Decals and looks really interesting but with a lot of work and effort. Plus i need to buy a printer.

One way or another i will find those decals no matter what #OCD

I am also trying to find a valid F-16 Serial number Dan "Two Dogs" used to fly in Iraq 2003 but that info i doubt i would ever obtain. #OCD2

Edited by dimimate

14 hours ago, dimimate said:

Unfortunately the guy who was planning to send me the decals (TwoBobs 72-033) hasnt contacted me for quite some time . Hope he is well because we had nice communication so at some point i started thinking that something might happened to him 😕

Still no luck finding this decal so @draggie748 is your offer still valid?

I was also thinking if one could scan the sheet and i just find someone/some store to print it for me. The other alternative is to start learning how to make custom decals on my own. I have studied a few posts and looks like it requires some effort.