Airfix Spitfire Vc - AX55001 Beginners Set

fishplanebeer

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the yet to be released 'Beginners Set' of the new Spitfire Vc will have a slightly different mold to the one recently released and the image of it on the Airfix web site certainly seems to show smaller canon blisters on the upper wings, associated with aircraft fitted with only 1 canon per wing ie. the standard 'c' wing.

Have I imagined this or is there any truth here please?

Regards

Colin.

9 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the yet to be released 'Beginners Set' of the new Spitfire Vc will have a slightly different mold to the one recently released and the image of it on the Airfix web site certainly seems to show smaller canon blisters on the upper wings, associated with aircraft fitted with only 1 canon per wing ie. the standard 'c' wing.

Have I imagined this or is there any truth here please?

Regards

Colin.

The small starter set VC is mainly a different tooling based on the same CAD with much simplified details and fewer options. The only sprue it shares with the standard VC kit is the full span wing sprue, so large cannon blisters.

They're shown on the boxtop illustration here https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/aircraft/military-aircraft/small-beginners-set-supermarine-spitfire-mkvc.html,  and if you slow it right down and look carefully, you can see the sprues in the advent calendar video of Paramjit building one here 

2 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

Many thanks for clarifying this for me, just a pity it won't have the correct blisters after all.

The wider cannon blisters aren't incorrect as such, most Spitfires Vc had them. Later examples had the narrower blisters and some earlier ones had them retrofitted.

It's a shame Airfix didn't include separate parts to do either sort, as they did in the earlier Vc.

John.

• Like 1