1/72 DC-3 help

phat trev

I am looking to start my 1/72 Italeri C-47, as a Civi DC-3 but looking for help on a few features.

1. How to make all the passenger seats? my first idea was to find a scrapped Corgi type bus - with an array of small plastic seats- which I could remove and use inside the airliner.

2. Is there a good go to reference online showing civilian DC-3 schemes? ( a bit like wing palette perhaps).

I buy sets of HO scale model railroad passenger car seats to use in my 1/72 airliners and commuter planes.

The style isn't always exactly right...but they do a great job of 'giving the impression' behind model widows, and those in more visible locations...say, adjacent to open doors or hatches...can be either more-carefully-detailed or scratchbuilt, as suits.

My favorite...simply because they're usually least expensive...are made by an outfit called PikeStuff. They're available in lots of colors...though I usually paint mine, so colors don't matter. Usually plentiful on Ebay and in hobby shops catering to RR enthusiasts.

If it's just a matter of vague shapes behind windows, seats can also easily be fashioned in quantity from styrene angle stock of the sort availabe from Plastruct or Evergreen. Little "L" sections of a standard width can be cut in bulk and given whatever height base is needed from scrap. Once painted a dark color, they're very convincing.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 2:26 PM, Ed Russell said:

I did tell people my DC-2 was fitted with tables, chairs, antimacassars and lamps but in reality I painted the interior matt black and nobody quibbled.

That's commonly my approach for cabins of 1/72 scale aircraft of this ilk. I don't like to use decal windows however; I reckon they're acceptable in 1:144 scale but in 1:72 or larger, some sort of translucency from one side of the aircraft to the other is more appropriate. Even with windows, the matt black finish still manages to hide the lack of an interior. Works for me...

• Like 1