An ANZAC Mozzie - 1/72 Mosquito 464 Sqdn

After my Abysmal performance in group builds in the second half of last year, I’m getting my 2021 builds underway (post completion of a Gladiator for another GB) with a 1/72 Mosquito.

Continuing my theme of mostly building aircraft of aircrew that failed to return as a tribute to them, my build will be HX912   ‘SB-F’ which “Took off from RAF Sculthorpe at 1116 hours on the 9 October 1943 to attack the aero engine works at Woippy near Metz, France. Twelve aircraft from the Squadron took part in the raid and two of these including HX912 failed to return.

The ORB recorded : “The weather was hopeless over the sea, coast and target, with very poor visibility and ten- tenths cloud at 500 feet...HX912 was last seen in a shallow dive towards the target having taken over as lead aircraft from the CO.”

Crew:
RAAF 405106 Flt Lt Kerr, P C C (Pilot), 25 of Harrisville, Queensland, Australia

RNZAF FO Hannah, B J E (Navigator), 31 of Wellington, New Zealand

Both now rest together in Schoonselhof Cemetery 

(Alan Storr, 2006, 464 Squadron RAAF World War Two Fatalities,p.14)

Tamiya Mosquito VI 1/72 Mosquito HX912

- Photo of Aircraft is from the ADF serials website

• Like 10

Gidday Rafwaffe, although aircraft aren't my preferred subject for models I have a bit of a liking for the big twin-engined fighters of WW2, this aircraft being one of them. Others include the Beaufighter, Dinah, Tigercat and P-61 Black Widow. Your build will be a fitting tribute to these men and it'll be good to see it come together. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

This is a build I will follow with enthusiasm & reverence, the simple reason being F/O B J E Hannah was my Uncle Jack. I obviously never met him but have visited his grave in Belgium a couple of times. This is an aircraft I've long intended to model & am saving it for a time when I can do it justice, ie, when I retire in a year & a bit. I'm confident you'll do a fine job on it. No pressure mind. ;) :D

Steve.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Good luck with this very special build @Rafwaffe. This is a particular subject that has also been on my modelling radar for a long time, firstly because it has a family connection with my good BM mate @stevehnz and secondly because I partially share the same surname as it’s pilot. Like most Aussie / Kiwi relationships, there would have been a good dose of friendly nationalistic banter, however when it comes down to rolling up ones sleeves and getting the job done, an Anzac combination will always be hard to beat. 

Cheers and best of luck with this very appropriate GB build.. Dave 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rafwaffe said:

Wow. Thank you for the motivation and comments @stevehnz and @rabbit leader. This build has a whole new level

of relevance now. I will aim to do a good a job as I can as a tribute to the ANZAC crew.

Good man, I was worried I might have frightened you away from it, so I'm delighted to see you still up for it. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Steve.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My January order from dear Uncle Hannants has arrived (at long last!).  I finally have the bits I’ve been waiting on that will add a little extra to this build.

Order has arrived!

Edited by Rafwaffe
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @Rafwaffe

Hows the mosquito coming along ?

Cheers Pat 

Nothing done yet unfortunately. I remain optimistic of getting/making time to work on it and getting it done between work, toddlers, moving house and  studying before the GB ends (it has been promised to a gentleman from NZ after all once finished) 

Edited by Rafwaffe
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @Rafwaffe

In between Toddlers, and everything else you have on the go did the Mosquito get a look in ?

Cheers Pat 

Disappointingly haven’t been able to make a start yet. Set up In the new house though and have my hobby area ready and dug it out of the box it was hiding in. So will get it made (it’s has been promised). Will have to post in WIP if I can’t post progress here.

Deploying soon with work. So if it’s not quite done when I go it may end up making a long distance trip to NZ from the Sinai!

• Like 2